i2700k /Sabertooth Temps/Volts & New Build

Associate
I recently completed a new build - core being an Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard + i2700k.

Does seem to be a good combo :)

When looking to overclock decided to give the Asus suite (thru windows) a go so:-

Ran Core Temp - to give me an idea as to both temps and volts
& IBT Freeze test 64bit Standard x 5 to stress it a bit. ( I assume that it will not be stressed to this degree when being used for normal/gaming ?)

Results :-

Standard.
Idle - 1.007v and max of 1.3461v. Temps max of 62c
4.2 - 1.007v and max of 1.3561 .Temps max of 65c
4.5 - 1.007v and max of 1.3711.Temps max of 68c

Are the above:-
acceptable- for long term use?
Average/Good/Poor ?

Overall I am thinking that I am safe running @ 4.5 but do the v/temps look ok?

A couple of ?'s ref the Asus suite as I've never used it before so not sure how it works:
Will it boot into 4.5 - or 3.9 and then when booted into windows clock to 4.5?
Does it tend to over volt? ( I have noticed that the Asus slightly auto increases the Bclk whereas my old MSi slightly underclocked this - not a problem, just different) so would a be better clocking via bios and setting the v manually?

I have noticed that I do have a fair amount of temp. difference on the cores basically be it at idle or load +7c (core 0 v core 3)- they do occasionally equalize but overall it's pretty constant . Problem? ( am cooling via a Corsair H60 with Apache fan pushing air through the radiator out the back of the case)

Last edited:
Soldato
IBT under 70C is very good and safe. And yes, IBT tends to stress the CPU more than usual, even more than intense work (CineBench, Prime95, video encoding, 3D rendering).

Core temps will vary. 7C is kind of a high variation, but no unusual. Think I got 4C across cores.

BCLK should remain at 100mhz. It may show 100.2 or something, but it's best just letting it stock in the BIOS. The value reported might not be entirely accurate (mine shows 99.something).

However, you do have a lot of voltage on the CPU. I suggest you reduce Vcore to around 1.3 volts (maybe needs a bit more, maybe can use a little less). The Vcore should dictate your CPU clock. So if you set a target of 1.3V, and see how much clock you can use, that's a safer way.

1.3V gives me 4.6GHz. I might even be able to improve things (decrease vcore a hair to keep 4.6GHz).

For working out vcore, I use offset mode, +0.025V (iirc), and load line calibration 4 (5 is unstable). You can use offset mode, or ... the other mode I can't remember the name :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I did think about setting both multi (to 4.5) and the volts (not more than 1.3) in the bios but was concerned that the volts will then be , I assume , at a constant rather than , as they currently do, dropping to only just over 1v when 'ticking over' but boosting when in heavier use ?

Given that the board boosts the volts to in excess of 1.3 on standard I had hoped that such would not cause any problems but am I wrong?:(

Also was thinking that as the most the volts were being increased by a max of +0.025 ,comparing standard with 4.5, such was not worth worrying about but am I wrong about this, as well ?:(

Overall if within the bios I could set it up so that the max. voltage is never more than 1.3 BUT it will run with less when it can this would be ideal but afaik this is not possible with this board- if it is would someone advise :)

Assuming that I cannot cap the voltage in the bios - is it better to fix it but have it running permanently at that speed (I would look to get it as low as I could , of course) or to let the board run it with bursts in excess of 1.3 ?

Associate
OP
Have just started reading an article about negative offset & it looks as though I may well be able to 'cap' at 1.3 or less and keep low volts when required.

My apologies for raising what may well be a ? that has been raised many times in the past:o

Soldato
Have just started reading an article about negative offset & it looks as though I may well be able to 'cap' at 1.3 or less and keep low volts when required.

My apologies for raising what may well be a ? that has been raised many times in the past:o

It's OK. I prefer Offset mode as well. I think constant voltage is best when doing extreme overclocking, but offset and load line calibration settings should fix most of the problems.

Also, remember to check out the max TDP settings in the bios, which tends to throttle the CPU (for example, TDP = 110W, would force the CPU to not use more than 110W, and will throttle vcore and cpu clock when overclocking).

Associate
OP
Have applied a 0.055 offset which resulted in stability at 4.3 but blue screen at 4.5.

Max volts per cpu-z when loaded(Ibt) is 1.224 and min is .944. Temps do not exceed 60c :)

I was , I believe mistakenly, taking the volts as the vid. entry appearing upon core temp rather than the volts per cpu-z. Core temp reads at least 0.09v higher:(

If I would be better relying upon core temp , please advise!!

Load line calibration is , as yet , a mystery. :confused: BUT in time I'll get used .

Am happy running at 4.3 at , I believe, a nice low v. , so will run at that until xmas hols when I should have some time to have a further play. (Unlees anyone believes I've got it wrong !!- in which case please advise)

Associate
OP
BTW - my thanks to Olivier Renault.:)

Have clocked thru the bios rather than using the Asus Turbo tool in windows. I found that it did not save once I quit windows so I would have to re-set each time :(

Did have to set the offset and alter the ram from the boards setting of 1333mhz @ T2 to the speed that it's rated at i.e. 1866mhz @ T1. (Bought the tracer ram - very pretty:))in the Bios.

Once I got a bit of a feel for it found the bios pretty straightforward to use - certainly a bit easier than the Msi P67A bios.

My thanks , again :D

Associate
OP
Not too much offset. That's about x2 what I have.

Noted - I assume not a good thing?:(

I have reduced neg offset to 0.025 from 0.055 and have the expected increase in v and temps but not , I believe, disastrous :-

@ 4.3 max v is now 1.248 and max temp 61c

@ 4.5 (it ran and no bsod :) ) max v was 1.256 and max temp was 62c

(Am taking all v readings from cpu-z and temps from core temp)

I can see myself moving to 4.5 as the temp & volts difference is minimal but will still give it a few weeks @ 4.3 to double check stability in actual use before trying that bit faster.

It is a learning curve and I very much appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom