Syncing photos between two iOS devices and a PC

Soldato
Hello friends,

I have an iPhone, iPad and a PC. I'd like the photos that I take with the two Apple devices to be synced to one another and also put into a folder on my PC; all done through WiFi.

I'm trying out iCloud, but frankly I'm a little confused. In the main iCloud settings menu (in the iphone) there are On/Off switches for a couple things including my Photo Stream (which I take to mean all the photos on my iPhone). Do I also have to turn on "iCloud Backup" in the "Storage & Backup" submenu?

Soldato
To auto sync photos between your iPad and iPhone they both need to be using the same Apple ID. To enable it goto settings-> Photos & Camera-> set My Photo Stream to On. This will send all the photos taken on that device to the Cloud Photo Stream.
You can also share photos to other apple ID photo streams manually in iOS6.

To sync your Photo Stream to your PC you need to download the App for Windows from the Apple website.

The iCloud photo backup option just creates a back up of the photos on that device should you need to do a restore or lose your device.

Last edited:
Associate
Photo stream only works for pictures added after you switch it on, just import the pictures manually for now and photo stream will get the rest from now on.

Associate
I use the iCloud app on Windows and its fantastic, just remember its not a backup in the true sense, if you delete a picture from either your stream in your device or on the stream on your pc then it's gone on all devices. I cut the photos I want into their own folders in My Pictures when I'm sorting them, still loads less hassle than importing with Windows.

Soldato
Yes I do the same for photo stream although it's a bit buggy since both my wife and I have our own version of itunes on the PC with two windows user logons but with only 1 itunes account. (Actually have 3 (one for Belgium, UK and USA but that's a different story ;) )

Soldato
I was considering going back to Android once my current contract is up but iCloud syncing with my desktop is a dealbreaker for me now.
And I do this on Android using Dropbox and the 5GB of free storage they gave me for buying the S3 :p

I found icloud to be very very slow at times.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
On the topic of sync,

Is it possible to sync an Ipad (Calender) to an android mobile calender? (Galaxy S1)
I've not tried before

Soldato
I love it, too. Since getting access to iCloud I really want to ditch Windows and move to Mac now. :D

Windows Phone/8 does this out of the box via SkyDrive if you sign in with a Microsoft account. :confused:

Plus, isn't photostream both limited to the most recent 1000 photos AND is non-permanent storage? Any photos you wish to keep must be saved manually.

Back
Top Bottom