Takes a long time for my car to heat up.

One

One

Soldato
So I an A4 estate the old model. It's a 2.0 TDI but for the first 5 minutes of driving I have to make sure I maintain at least 2500 revs or it takes a good 10 minutes before the car is blowing any warmth. Now this is supposed to be the top model with climate control, I can set the passenger side to a different temperature to my side which is ridiculous madness imo, especially when it can't put the AC in reverse to give me warmth without relying on the engine heat.

Is this just a diesel thing or this model of car or is it just broken?

Man of Honour
This is a diesel thing. Diesel engines take a long time to heat up. To get around this, many manufacturers have a seperate auxillery heater which runs to provide cabin heat whilst the engine is warming up.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
If you think it's bad, you should try our Caddy SDI. It rarely does a journey more than 5 miles which is precisely how long it takes to start generating any meaningful heat. Modern diesels are unfortunately just too efficient.

Strangly my 5.0 V10 RS6 doesn't have this issue :D.

Soldato
yeah mine takes a while but i have heated seats, have a golf gt, be nice to have a heated steering wheel too..

gonna buy and fit some gt seats in the caddy 2k at some point

Soldato
I was pleasantly surprised by the heating in my Fabia diesel. It blows warm by the time I get 3 miles down the road in the morning, after only 5 mins of driving. My old petrol Civic took longer...!

Soldato
If it had a stuck open thermostat it'd take longer. The interior heater will be on a separate circuit.

If the thermostat is stuck open the water will take a lot longer to warm up. The interior heater shares exactly the same water that the radiator does when the thermostat is open.

He's said it takes a long time and has to maintain high engine revs.

Soldato
Its due to the fact that diesel engines use cast iron blocks and not aluminium, and so take an age to get up to temperature, one of the drawbacks of having a diesel :(

the vast majority of cars on the road use an iron block, the material used to make the block wont have an effect on the warm up time compared to ambient temp, a faulty stat, fuel used etc

Back
Top Bottom