Life used to be simple; but now I've Scottished myself.

Soldato
My Dad delving into the family tree has revealed that I have a Scottish grandmother. Her surname was McAlpine.

Now this complicates matters greatly. I'm no longer a thoroughbred Englishman, I'm 25% Scottish. Do I accept Biohazard's imminent friend request? Should I begin wrapping the clan McAlpine tartan around my caber before tossing? Can I legally now affect a Highlander's brogue in order to impress girls?

And when it comes to sport, is it Rangers or Celtic that I cheer on when one of them slam dunks a goal into the try line to score that last quarter four-point home run?

So, aside from now considering Braveheart to be historically accurate, what benefits do I get from my new national identity?

Soldato
Whisky...

Everyone in my family is English, but both my father's and mother's name comes from scottish heritage.

I've always had a little inkling, i can pull off a fairly desent accent. Been to scotland and had a walkabout a few whisky distilleries. I didn't feel too much like a tourist, thats a benefit perhaps?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Your 25% Scottish is nothing. Born in England, French name and ancestors, Irish Grandmother on the other side.

Top of the baguette to ya!

Associate
I have a surname beginning with Mc but I do not consider myself at all Scottish, not that i would have a problem with it. How is it that it took a "delving" into family history to find out details on a grandmother? Normally they're pretty easy relatives to find out about :p

Commissario
Born in England?

Then you're English.

Unless you're an American who has a great-great-great-great-great-grandparent who once met an Irishman. Then you can claim you're Irish.

Soldato
OP
I have a surname beginning with Mc but I do not consider myself at all Scottish, not that i would have a problem with it. How is it that it took a "delving" into family history to find out details on a grandmother? Normally they're pretty easy relatives to find out about :p

Mum was adopted and details of her birth mother were sketchy.

Associate
Mum was adopted and details of her birth mother were sketchy.

Ahh okay, gotcha :) I'd be interested to look at my family history one day, as I'm sure I could find something interesting if I went far back enough, but have yet to find the motivation to start...

Associate
Similar thing happened to me few years back, found out I'm not 100% Chinese. My mom's grandmother is Vietnamese. I don't look Chinese or Vietnamese.

Soldato
Pah I can top that, born in England to Scottish parents with an Irish grandmother. I'm only missing Welsh heritage for the quadruple full brit.

Soldato
You might as well just kill yourself now mate, I hear Scottish people only have a life expectancy of about 35 anyway ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom