Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
How are people finding the performance on these for use as a ESXi testbed? I know a lot of people are using these for this exact purpose, but interested if the 1.5Ghz dual core CPU is up to the job.

Thanks,

Running well so far! Only got two VMs on it (and you must increase the RAM) but so far so good!

CD

Associate
As I mentioned, ReadyNAS do a great cheap 4 bay box. The NV+ v2 has all those features and can be got for under £160.

CD

I had a look and I could only seem to find it for around £300 without drives.

but the Microserver can have 3tb inside for around £300.

Server £100 with cashback + 2x 3tb for £180 + WHS £35 = £305

plus PC Pro don't seem to think that much of it.
PC Pro Review

I haven't owned the Netgear myself though, so only going by the reviews.

Steve

Soldato
I had a look and I could only seem to find it for around £300 without drives.

but the Microserver can have 3tb inside for around £300.

Server £100 with cashback + 2x 3tb for £180 + WHS £35 = £305

plus PC Pro don't seem to think that much of it.
PC Pro Review

I haven't owned the Netgear myself though, so only going by the reviews.

Steve

I'm not going to say it is perfect, but when first released it was missing quite a few features that were added back in later firmware updates. The speed isn't amazing but 40MB/s read is enough for most people. Besides, it *was* available from several places for ~£150 which made it a great deal.

Just had a look, nowhere is selling these for the same price. They are not really worth it at £300, there is better for not much more.

CD

Associate
Hi guys, im setting this up atm and have the Asus 6450 to put in this BUT it doesn't seem to fit.

The bracket seems too big, am I missing something here as others seem to have this specific card in their microservers?!

Associate
well that's just taking the **** then isn't it. Its advertised as a low profile card! whats the point if it has a ful height bracket?

great, getting these parts has been a farce (DPD's fault) but now im going to have to reorder a new card which wont be with me for atleast 2 days now and RMA this one...

what a joke

Associate
well that's just taking the **** then isn't it. Its advertised as a low profile card! whats the point if it has a ful height bracket?

great, getting these parts has been a farce (DPD's fault) but now im going to have to reorder a new card which wont be with me for atleast 2 days now and RMA this one...

what a joke

the image on the OCUK website looks like a low profile card, does that match with what you've been given?

Associate
yeah that's the one I have HOWEVER the bracket is too long. If it didn't have the VGA connector it would be ok

I really hope im not being stupid here but I cant see how It will fit

Soldato
yeah that's the one I have HOWEVER the bracket is too long. If it didn't have the VGA connector it would be ok

I really hope im not being stupid here but I cant see how It will fit

The VGA connector should unplug from the board and then you remove the metal bracket.

In the box somewhere would be a second shorter bracket that doesn't have the space for the VGA connector.

Check the packaging

Like this one

http://www.asus.it/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6450_SILENTDI1GD3LP/

AD

Last edited:
Associate
The VGA connector should unplug from the board and then you remove the metal bracket.

In the box somewhere would be a second shorter bracket that doesn't have the space for the VGA connector.

Check the packaging

Like this one

http://www.asus.it/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6450_SILENTDI1GD3LP/

AD

I just thought of this before you posted but it seems there is no other backplate in the packaging, great!. looks like im going to have to call OCUK and have them send me one if im meant to have gotten on in the box.

makes me wonder why I don't have one? have I been sold a return item?...

Soldato
Not all cards come with the low profile backplate, all depends on the exact specification. Would be easier if they just bundled them.

Asus webpage for your card doesn't mention the low profile brackets, worth asking the shop, they may have a few kicking about from customer builds.

AD

Caporegime
I just thought of this before you posted but it seems there is no other backplate in the packaging, great!. looks like im going to have to call OCUK and have them send me one if im meant to have gotten on in the box.

makes me wonder why I don't have one? have I been sold a return item?...

I have the exact same card (bought from OcUK) and it did come with the bracket. Used in a Microserver also.

rp2000

Associate
1st Post on OC although a reader for a number of years ... And I am pleading for help!

Possibly more for "randal24" I have opted for a similar spec to you:
N40L, 8GB Memory, 2x 3TB REDs + a couple of 3TB GREENS (when the Synology is sold on)

I am stuck at the formatting stage:
I want to have the 2x RED's running a mirrored pair with the OS/Home/Boot/etc
I will have the 2nd pair as a mounted area for storage of other media files etc.

I am really struggling at getting RAID on the first pair due to the GPT partitions and looking google has just confused matters even more - so ideally looking for a step by step guide on getting it working if you could help me and others?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
had some people questioning me about the validity of running 16gb in the n40l via email, so here is a pic of the proof:
2ps3ytt.png

i used crucial value ram, 1333mhz stuff, basically the cheapest 16gb kit i could find. lol. since microserver dont run it more than 400mhz anyways.

Caporegime
Everything is good on mine now

Backups are all working automatically
Can watch 1080p mkvs from same file on two different pc's at same time

Transfer rates are above 90-100mbytes ps for large files

Cashback finally came.

Whs 2011 is quite easy. Having issues with wireless connections (not a server issue)
but I cannot get utorrent to load on startup

Soldato
Can anyone with ESXi up and running on their N40L do a test for me? What speeds do you get reading/writing to an USB HDD attached to a VM? This is one task that I want to be good, and I am not having much luck!

CD

Soldato
Just bought the 16Gb ESXi approved bundle :)
Should arrive in the next few days ^^

Setup should be
2 WD Red's + Intel 80Gb SSD for a caching drive for VM's

I am thinking maybe I don't really need a pair of red's though and greens might be cheaper on the power since the SSD will be doing the hard work

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom