Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Does anyone know why I have some slow transfer speeds on my Microserver?

Basically at the moment I have ESXi 5.0 installed on a USB stick on the motherboard, then 2 x HDD's

1 x 250GB
1 x 500GB

These are split in to 2 datastores obviously, the first (250GB) for the VM's and the other one for storage.

One of my VM's is freenas, to which I basically allocated the 500GB datastore too and set-up shares.

My other VM's connect to these shares via a mapped network drive, however, when transferring data across from one of my Windows VM's to this Freenas VM network drive, I am only getting around 4MB/s

Is this a limitation somewhere on my Virtual host, or is it something on the Microserver causing this bottleneck?

Soldato
Think they seem to have gone mate, the cut off deal for anywhere that had any left is tomorrow but i think you may be out of luck im afraid.

Im looking to upgrade the ram to 8gb and been looking at the Kingston value ram which seems to be around £40-£50 but most of the kits i see are all Non-ECC. Does it have to be ECC to work with the N40L?

Soldato
Im looking to upgrade the ram to 8gb and been looking at the Kingston value ram which seems to be around £40-£50 but most of the kits i see are all Non-ECC. Does it have to be ECC to work with the N40L?

Doesn't have to be ECC but if you are using it for something like FreeNAS then it's worth the little bit extra. The ECC has to be unbuffered type, registered won't work. I got a pair of 2x4GB Kingston ValuRAM ECC for £42 last month.

Soldato
Doesn't have to be ECC but if you are using it for something like FreeNAS then it's worth the little bit extra. The ECC has to be unbuffered type, registered won't work. I got a pair of 2x4GB Kingston ValuRAM ECC for £42 last month.

Thanks for that mate, dont suppose you could trust me the details :rolleyes:

Im having real trouble getting this N40L to WOL on lan as well. Its enables in the bios, i have checked the advanced settings on the network adaptor in the device manager but there is not much about WOL there. On another tab there's a couple of tick boxes stating to allow this device (the network adaptor) to wake the machine which i have ticked but no luck at all. Im using the WOL feature built into my Billion 7800n router which works fine when waking my HTPC. Dont know if its perhaps a driver issue with the adaptor or not

Soldato
Ah damnit. Hopefully they'll do a March cashback, expensive month for me so couldn't afford it this month :(.

1 in stock still at a very well known orange looking site :)

P/N KVR1333D3E9S/4GB

Price appears to have gone up a couple of quid since I bought them.

Thanks pal £50 in total for 8gb not to bad i guess hey. I see the Cruial ram tends to be a little cheaper sometimes so might check that out before i go for the Kingston

Just realized i haven't actually installed any drivers for this doh! I just let WHS do its thing, is it best to use the chipset drivers etc from the cd or hunt the HP site?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Associate
Please forgive my noobiness on this but I'm looking to have a dabble with Esxi and was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this?

As it stands I have 5 x 2TB drives in a software raid-5, under WHS2011 (installed on a 250GB drive).

I'm aware that if I ever re-install WHS2011 or Server 2012 I can simply re-import the foreign disks and my array magically re-appears as if nothing has happened.

If I install WHS2011 or Server 2012 as a VM, can I still present the 5 physical disks to the VM and re-import them as normal?

Associate
Finally got my N40L server setup today.

Running WHS2011 with iHome Server to run my itunes as a service; Drive Bender to look after the drive aggregation; logitech media server for my squeezebox; Twonky for a more robust DLNA server and a couple of 1 Tb HDs that I had spare. I installed DVD Writer and a HIS 6450 for audio out.
It does need some more memory as I am running quite a few services and it does slow down a little when I am in the admin console. Will order 8Gb tomorrow. Once I have a memory upgrade I will install My Movies to handle my movies back end.
So far I have tried it with my Xbox, Sony BluRay BDP-S370, R-Pi, Nexus7 and squeezebox Radio and everything works well.

Back
Top Bottom