• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 7950 twin frozr help!

Soldato
My IceQ takes the voltage from AB Tommy :(

Yours the BE?

Yes, it's the BE, the core doesn't need voltage, but the memory needs a touch more then it oc's well.

On the presumption your Ice-Q is the normal bios, do you have working vrm temps(not stuck@24c) and any chance you can send me your bios please?

On another note, what is the Asics like on these cards,the locked voltage cheap XFX DD's have all been mostly high Asics-from reading about forums, I'm hoping for a low Asic(personal preference having used 5 different 79's), was wondering if it's chip lottery on the Asics or if MSI use any particular Asic for the TFIII.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, it's the BE, the core doesn't need voltage, but the memory needs a touch more then it oc's well.

On the presumption your Ice-Q is the normal bios, do you have working vrm temps(not stuck@24c) and any chance you can send me your bios please?

On another note, what is the Asics like on these cards,the locked voltage cheap XFX DD's have all been mostly high Asics-from reading about forums, I'm hoping for a low Asic(personal preference having used 5 different 79's), was wondering if it's chip lottery on the Asics or if MSI use any particular Asic for the TFIII.

It is the normal bios. I'm a bit busy at the mo in the evenings but if I'm on the PC I'll zip it up for you. Have checked the ASIC but can't remember properly but its between 70-80 from memory.

Associate
my XFX had an ASICS of 83
my msi has an ASICS of 66 it did have 78 but i took off a diode so maybe that effected it?
However its a lovely card its as good as my old spphire

Soldato
Low ASIC you are saying is better ?

There is the clocking lottery but Iv'e had a few 79's now and the lower Asic=higher oc.

Personally, yes, I'd say it's better, much better clocks for me due to more voltage available, but Asic quality is dismissed by some-I'm going by personal experience having used a fair few now.:)

It is the normal bios. I'm a bit busy at the mo in the evenings but if I'm on the PC I'll zip it up for you. Have checked the ASIC but can't remember properly but its between 70-80 from memory.

No rush(but don't forget;)).

My IceQ is a champ oc'er, it has an Asic of 61.5, just running on the Ice-Q cooler can get to 1260MHz on the core-stock boost voltage and 1650MHz on the vram with a tiny touch of voltage, without voltage it hits a wall@1300MHz.:D

I got it on offer last week@£240, I wouldn't pay the normal price though, I'd go for another instead like I'm thinking about the Msi one now.

Last edited:
Soldato
as far as I know higher asic means that default voltages are lower and lower asic mean that they work better with higher voltages and the overclock potencial is higher under high end coolers/watercoolers

I have 2x 7950 HiS reference 800mhz

1st is 77% ASIC - default voltage 0.993v
2nd is 72,5% ASIC - default voltage 1.031v

both can do 960mhz with default voltage. (74C / 70C max temps)
1000mhz: 1st = 1.031v / 2nd = 1.062v (77C / 72C max temps)
1050mhz: 1st = 1.062v / 2nd = 1.100v (82C / 75C max temps)
1100mhz: 1st = 1.100v / 2nd = 1.150v (88C / 82C max temps)

Didn't try more than 1.1ghz because on summer this temps are higher :p

Usually I run them at 1000mhz gpu and 1400 memory, I only used 1100mhz for benchmarks and tried on planetside 2, but when the 1st one topped 90C I changed to 1000mhz

But I'm replacing them with 2x 7950 non reference or 2x7970 soon, because I really need at least 10% more power for my eyefinity setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just pulled the trigger on one of these TF's, here's hoping it's a good un.

@Drangueos,

If your looking for 10%, you may want to leave your clocks as is and go for vram oc'ing.

Ref 79's are usually very good for vram clocking(1800+ with a little voltage on the vram if needed) and can make a considerable difference in the likes of Sleeping Dogs/BF3/Hitman etc if you can get northwards of 1600MHz, heat may not be an issue in comparison with core clocking.

Soldato
Just pulled the trigger on one of these TF's, here's hoping it's a good un.

@Drangueos,

If your looking for 10%, you may want to leave your clocks as is and go for vram oc'ing.

Ref 79's are usually very good for vram clocking(1800+ with a little voltage on the vram if needed) and can make a considerable difference in the likes of Sleeping Dogs/BF3/Hitman etc if you can get northwards of 1600MHz, heat may not be an issue in comparison with core clocking.

sorry, i mistyped that I had 2x7970... I have 2x7950, before the 2x7950 I had one 7970 reference that could do 1200/1600 easy, but the 7950 reference cannot run more than 1000/1400 24/7 because the reference ones get really hot when pushing more than 1050/1450.

So my options are: 2x7950 with custom cooler or 2x7970.

epu

epu

Associate
i had that faulty diode too, send card back, asked for gigabyte windforce, they ordered the same card, hopefully its not faulty, pickin it up 2morrow hehe.

1st post

Associate
I bought the Twin Frozr 7950 to replace my wonderful and lovely Twin Frozr 6950. Unfortunately it sounded like a hurricane so I've sent it back for refund. Very disappointing considering how much I liked my 6950.

Might spend a load more money and get the Gigabyte 7970 Ghz Edition Windforce this time once my refund is issued.

Avoid the MSI card!

Associate
Posted mine back today for RMA refund and purchased a Gigabyte instead. Shame the card is fast but the faulty diode overrides the fan settings, these cards should be recalled.

Associate
hello,
currently having the same problem with my twin frozr III, does anybody know where I can find the diode so I can remove it to stop my bloody fans going up to 100% when gaming? thanks

los

los

Associate
I wouldn't remove it with a knife, as you could easily take the pad off. If you can use a soldering iron then use that. (If it doesnt void your warranty)

Back
Top Bottom