• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Recommend a 7950 or 7970 please

Soldato
either really - not fussed 50-60 quid either way - hoping for a reasonable clocker either way

just seems the current options get limited day by day - as more cards get voltage locked etc

just want one of the above, without the standard reference card, that isn't voltage locked, and doesn't have any other "issues" like faulty fan controllers etc

any ideas please ?

Soldato
I have had 6 79's, 2-70's and 4-50's:

7970 WF, ok silent@idle, aggressive when it hits 60c, medium clocker@1150MHz but developed a fault within days-returned.

His Ice-Q 7950, annoying grating noise@idle, not bad on the noise under load, rear venting too-tremendous clocker@1200MHz-returned as I'm anal about noise.

MSI 7970 OC another tremendous clocker@1200MHz+/1850MHz on the memory but died out of the blue-gutted but full refund as they are hard to get now-seriously bad noise levels but it was sat on top of the fantastic AC Extreme.

XFX 7950 seriously cheap@£200 inc Never Settle bundle-Flawed cooler, poor clocker@1100MHz max voltage through Trixx(meant to be voltage locked), it's now getting passed on to a friend.

Another Ice-Q, monster clocker@1250MHz+/1650MHz His iTurbo full core/vram voltage support-this one doesn't have the grating problem-guessing His sorted it out.

MSI TFIII bought the other day, no diode issue, fan works as it should, 1170MHz/1600MHz+(stopped pushing as it doesn't need to go that far could go further on the vram), but AB doesn't apply voltage even though AB reports it as applied, so Trixx to the rescue again, but no vram voltage option-yet(upcoming newer Trixx is supposed to have vram voltage adjustment support).

For gaming@1080p, although the 7970 was fantastic and I was very happy with it, the price difference you pay is only noticeable from your wallets pov.

If it runs on a 70, it runs just as good on a 50 when they are both oc'ed, the only way I would say go 70 is for high res gaming or bench marking-where the little extra oomph(the vram clocks considerably higher due to higher grade chips, so at least there's some justification) will see you good.

So what ones my overall best recommendation?

It can only be this one:

1 x HIS HD 7950 IceQ BOOST 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (H795QC3G2M) with Crysis 3 & Bioshock PC Games £239.99

Just found out it's on offer and I never noticed, but it's time for tommy to just be content now.:)

Last edited:
Associate
I have had 6 79's, 2-70's and 4-50's:

7970 WF, ok silent@idle, aggressive when it hits 60c, medium clocker@1150MHz but developed a fault within days-returned.

His Ice-Q 7950, annoying grating noise@idle, not bad on the noise under load, rear venting too-tremendous clocker@1200MHz-returned as I'm anal about noise.

MSI 7970 OC another tremendous clocker@1200MHz+/1850MHz on the memory but died out of the blue-gutted but full refund as they are hard to get now-seriously bad noise levels but it was sat on top of the fantastic AC Extreme.

XFX 7950 seriously cheap@£200 inc Never Settle bundle-Flawed cooler, poor clocker@1100MHz max voltage through Trixx(meant to be voltage locked), it's now getting passed on to a friend.

Another Ice-Q, monster clocker@1250MHz+/1650MHz His iTurbo full core/vram voltage support-this one doesn't have the grating problem-guessing His sorted it out.

MSI TFIII bought the other day, no diode issue, fan works as it should, 1170MHz/1600MHz+(stopped pushing as it doesn't need to go that far could go further on the vram), but AB doesn't apply voltage even though AB reports it as applied, so Trixx to the rescue again, but no vram voltage option-yet(upcoming newer Trixx is supposed to have vram voltage adjustment support).

For gaming@1080p, although the 7970 was fantastic and I was very happy with it, the price difference you pay is only noticeable from your wallets pov.

If it runs on a 70, it runs just as good on a 50 when they are both oc'ed, the only way I would say go 70 is for high res gaming or bench marking-where the little extra oomph(the vram clocks considerably higher due to higher grade chips, so at least there's some justification) will see you good.

So what ones my overall best recommendation?

It can only be this one:

1 x HIS HD 7950 IceQ BOOST 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (H795QC3G2M) with Crysis 3 & Bioshock PC Games £239.99

Just found out it's on offer and I never noticed, but it's time for tommy to just be content now.:)
What about this card http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-304-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1673
is this better? as HIS HD 7950 IceQ BOOST 3072MB

Soldato
OP
great post tommybhoy - thanks very much indeed for taking the time to write that out

I'm going to have a look at some of the cards today

only problem is that the Never Settle bundles seem to have disappeared on ocuk ?

Soldato
I have an HIS IceQ 7970. Not only does it look badass, but it is very cool and overclocks like a dream- maxed the sliders to 1120mem 1575core (the max the sliders will go) on stock volts. I'm not sure if it is voltage locked. Coming from a poor overclocking sapphire 7870, it is fantastic.

Definitely another recommendation for the HIS IceQ brand. Being the dick that I am, I got it for £70 :)

Soldato
Im pretty happy with my MSI 7950 BE. If I had the choice again I would probably go with the HIS 7950 as this blows hot air out of the case. I have had to get an extra case fan to cool the MSI card

Soldato

I never used one, but it was known to be iffy about voltage adjustment, iirc it has been rectified now.

Can't see past the Ice-Q boosts though...

great post tommybhoy - thanks very much indeed for taking the time to write that out

I'm going to have a look at some of the cards today

only problem is that the Never Settle bundles seem to have disappeared on ocuk ?

Np.:)

Contrary to what I wrote, I wasn't happy with the TFIII/Ice-Q combination as it ended up having to rely on two seperate oc tools to apply voltage on both, so I caved in and went with my gut and took delivery yesterday of another Ice-Q and got another brute of a clocker.:D

The Never Settle bundle was included too and just checked that it's still on the store page:

686657d29cce672a01a50f6205586d71.jpg

I can't recommend this card enough and it will probably be back up to £276 tomorrow, if your thinking about one, well stop pondering and get through that checkout as it is a fantastic piece of kit.

That's three Iv'e had now that oc past 1200MHz on the core without adding voltage(the vram needs a touch more to get it going past 1500MHz though), they don't all get to 1200MHz with such ease.:D

Soldato
The IceQ is indeed a fantastic card. The only downside is the cooler takes up slightly more than two slots which does mean the gap between the cards isn't that large. If you're overclocking the nuts off them, they will run a tad warm but not to the point of being termed 'hot'.

Soldato
Yes, the cooler is simply massive, but that's the price you pay for a great performing blower.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue if your case isn't too small and you have 30cm clearance(29.5cm is the actual length), but the pipes need clearance with your side panel too, side fans may get in the way.

I don't have any so it's not an issue and I have plenty length to go round too.:D

Just had a quick play last night on 3Dmark Firestrike and the top gpu never went above 54c@1200MHz, but I'll find out what's what on a gaming session, though I won't need to run@1200MHz anyway as they are crazy fast@1080p-not too bad using 3D(half the framrate) as well-what they were bought for.

Associate
Thanks Tommy for the effort, your opinion and other reviews convinced me in buying this card

My HIS 7950 iceq should arrive tomorrow :D

Only concern i had was with the 'HIS" brand name but i believe ocuk looks after that

Coming from a 460 gtx 768 mb i hope to see some improvement in 1080p gaming

Thanks

Caporegime
either really - not fussed 50-60 quid either way - hoping for a reasonable clocker either way

just seems the current options get limited day by day - as more cards get voltage locked etc

just want one of the above, without the standard reference card, that isn't voltage locked, and doesn't have any other "issues" like faulty fan controllers etc

any ideas please ?

Sorry i can't recommend any 7950/7970 cards seeing as ocuk no longer stock the BEST CARD EVER. Yeah im mad. Real mad. :mad:

EDIT

After reading the above posts it appears hes already ordered a gpu. Well there's one minute of my life i won't eve get back.:(

Associate
You swines. This thread led me to buy a His HD 7950 Ice-Q Boost. And it looks like I got it just an hour before the prices went up. Phew. Now on its way to me :)

How much do you think I can sell a secondhand Powercolor 6870 for?

Soldato
You swines. This thread led me to buy a His HD 7950 Ice-Q Boost. And it looks like I got it just an hour before the prices went up. Phew. Now on its way to me :)

How much do you think I can sell a secondhand Powercolor 6870 for?

Not allowed to price check outside of the Member's Market but do a search on a well known auction site to get an idea.

Associate
i have the 7950 windforce maxed out overclocked on afterburner
the cooler seems to do a very good not had any issues with temps or fan needing to go above 50%

Back
Top Bottom