Happy St George's Day

Soldato
Amazes me that some people wheel out the 'racist' card every year, yet they are the same ones that harp on about things like St Davids day, or St Andrews day, and of course, St Patricks day. Oh and lets not forget the Scots also take a day to celebrate the life of a poet dead for over 200 years. So to all of you guys in other parts of the UK that claim that St Georges Day is racist.. Wind yer bleedin' necks in.

Associate
Personally I think it's an embarrasment to England as a country that we do not celebrate the day in the way we celebrate the days of patron saints for other countries.

I treat myself as British and feel the patrons saints of all the British Isles should be celebrated by all British people.

Associate
If you don't mind me asking; Why?

Suppose it depends on whether you are Christian or not. As Christianity is the primary and state religion that's why I said it. They are after all religious celebrations.

However, having said that I am not religious myself (although was brought up and went to a religious school). I still feel it is a good thing to celebrate the nation of my birth and to show some pride in the opportunities it provides and the standard of living I have as a result.

I am not being disrespectful to any other nation or faith, just being proud to be British.

Associate
This St George fellow is very interesting...
A Greek who was in the Roman army who is alleged to have killed a dragon near Beirut and is celebrated by muslins.
WTF is that all about

Back
Top Bottom