Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Any news on either the cashback returning for old models, or new models being released with cashback?

Looking to retire my ReadyNAS NV and upgrade to Microserver with FreeNAS...

Soldato
Can someone give me some info, I am trying to set-up a NL40 which has 2 x 1TB drives, I have enabled RAID in the BIOS, what I essentially want to do is have the following paritioned set-up which are mirrored on to the other drive, I am fiddling about with AMD RAIDXpert but its not letting me control or mirror.

So, obviously when you install the server you have the initial partition for boot, the I am allocating 110GB to the OS (C:) and the rest to data

I want to create that on both drives, but I am unsure if I have to do this through the onboard controller at boot, or when I have installed the OS and installed AMD RAIDXpert.

If I load up RAIDXpert its showing the phyiscal drives and logical drives, but they are showing as 1tb?

Soldato
Question about SSDs and newsgroups. Should I be using the SSD as the download/unpack location or is the speed of the extraction bottlenecked by the CPU?

Soldato
Got a slight network issue that's got me stumped at the moment.

I'm downloading off the newgroups at the moment, on my main PC I can run the client and pull down a constant 60meg a sec, no dips in speed etc.

When I try to do the same on the microserver its very erratic and jumping around 40-50.

This is on a fresh install of windows server 2008 R2
I've changed the network cable
i've connected it to my network in exactly the same way as my main pc.
i've checked the CPU usage (only 40%)
I've checked the disk usage in resource manager and there not maxing out.
The network adapter is showing as gigabit connection

Any ideas what else could be wrong ?

Soldato
Update , think i've managed it. Need the proper network driver installing and a few updates and its fine now :)

Now the question is do I reinstall windows server 2012 nummmm

Soldato
Update , think i've managed it. Need the proper network driver installing and a few updates and its fine now :)

Seems it not quote fixed.

if I do say a bT speed test I can get 63 meg most times
But if I try a newsgroup download its jumping around a lot from 50 - 60 nothing stable

if I run the newsgroup download from my PC using exactly the same settings I can get a constant 63 meg no random fluctuation.

Any idea what could be causing the issue on the microserver??
i've tried pointing the newsgroup download at different drives and no change.

Associate
Hoping someone can help, I am now getting lag issues with HD video in XBMC, I am using a Asus HD 6450 and I have never had this issue until yesterday (nothing has changed). Playing SD video is fine no laggy frame rates. I have tried rebooting and also checked for updates for windows and XBMC plus I have installed the latest driver for the 6450 but nothing has worked. In HD .MKV files and .M2TS files the frame changes every 2 seconds and also the mouse cursor is just as laggy.

*Edit* forgot to mention, if I open the HD files in VLC it plays smoother but still not perfect.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Seems it not quote fixed.

if I do say a bT speed test I can get 63 meg most times
But if I try a newsgroup download its jumping around a lot from 50 - 60 nothing stable

if I run the newsgroup download from my PC using exactly the same settings I can get a constant 63 meg no random fluctuation.

Any idea what could be causing the issue on the microserver??
i've tried pointing the newsgroup download at different drives and no change.

Hi,

I had inconsistent speeds after getting Infinity 2 that only disappeared after I disabled Jumbo Frames on the NIC of my machine. Also created packet loss and certain sites not to load, just from the Server. Only 1 port on the HH3 is gigabit and I guess it doesn't support jumbo frames, hence my problems.

rp2000

Soldato
Why is it on the Microserver (I am using the onboard controller) and also RAIDXpert software.

2 x 1TB Mirrored drives (Boot/OS/DATA patitions)

Why is it when I shut the microserver down (after everything is is mirrored) take out the second hard drive to test, boots fine (but get critical warning) but goes to windows, shut down, put other drive back in, boots up, critical light, its recognising it as a single disk in the RAID menu, it wont let me assign it back in to the logical drive pool.

Any ideas why? I was hoping this was going to be ok as a test but clearly not! supposed to be installing very soon!

So far not entirely impressed

Last edited:
Associate
Does anybody know an alternative to Nexus Double Twin HDD decoupling I can't find it instock unless some one knows a place.

I did see mention of Feser Silent Arrow HDD but looking at pictures of it not sure if it fits in n36l anyone used one?

Associate
Hoping someone can help. I am running Win 7 Home 64bit, I have the standard 250GB drive running the OS and then 4x 3TB WD Red drives. At the moment I am manually cloning 2 of the 3TB drives to the other 2 3TB drives using Bvckup. Is there a way I could have this setup in raid to do this automatically or do I need to have Windows 7 Pro?

Associate
Back
Top Bottom