MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
So, given the amount of MX5 drivers on these forums, I'm surprised we don't already have one of these threads :p

I've owned my MX5 NC for just over 2 years now. It's been driven every single day and I love it - it can be a bit of a chore to drive as an everyday car - noisy, a bit cramped and not many creature comforts - but drop the roof and take it for a spin and the smile soon returns to your face :)

I'm probably looked down upon by NA/NB owners - I think the NC has a reputation for being a bit flabbier and less of a hardcore drivers machine than it's predecessors. Truth be told, if I could afford to run a second car and hadn't been concerned about reliability and practicality, I would love to have owned an NA. But, I wanted something a bit newer that I wouldn't have to invest a lot of time in, so the NC was the perfect choice. It had 68000 miles on it when I bought it in March 2011. It's now done about 106000 and still feels fantastic to drive.

It's a 2.0l Sport model (6 speed box/LSD). The only mod is a 30mm lowering by WIM on their custom springs which improved the handling immensely. Only other plans for it at the moment are for a wheel refurb (all 4 are looking a bit tatty). I'm tempted by an aftermarket exhaust, but I would prefer a better noise to more noise, so not something I would jump into at the moment.

IMG_1129_zps1baefd44.jpg

IMG_1152_zps36ca70ac.jpg

IMG_1163_zps0af7b0f8.jpg

IMG_1157_zps84acc7c0.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

Thoroughly enjoying the ownership so far. It's by no means fast, but it is such good fun. It's not hard to see how the MX5 has become such a popular choice.

Anyway, I've shown you mine, any other proud owners want to share? :)

Man of Honour
IMG_0024_zps64e647aa.jpg

IMG_0023_zps73844e1d.jpg

2.0L Sport Tech Coupe coming up to 3 years of age and 35000 miles. Bog standard bar some yellow stuff pads and a geo by Centre Gravity. We have decided to keep it now as put simply we wont get anything much better and more fun for its value to pointless to change it.

Soldato
OP
How is the folding hardtop for interior noise? I imagine that it's better than the soft top, but the main noise I get is less form the wind and more from road noise emanating upwards.

Man of Honour
It is noticeably quieter, first thing we noticed when we took delivery as we drove the soft top and ordered the coupe. Got in an it was quieter which was a nice surprise.

Soldato
That colour is gorgeous.

Weirdly enough, when I first saw the ad for the car, it looked a strange shade of green due to the reflection of a hedge on it which I wasn't keen on. Since it was well spec'ed and a very good price, I went to check it out anyway so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it in person.

As for driving it, I feel the same as you. It can be a bit of a chore driving it everyday especially with the pot-ridden roads down here, but with the roof down on a sunny day, you can't help but smile. :)

Soldato
Well, not mine exactly, but my mum's, and I can borrow it almost whenever I want to:

j-ltd-2_01.jpg

j-ltd-2_02.jpg

It's a 1994 1.8 J-Ltd-2. The yellow/black leather was done before we got it, I've since added some yellow dials.

I absolutely love it, it's so much fun to drive :)

Associate
This was my NA. It was a 1.8 R-Limited import from Japan. Owned it for 2 years and sold it for £100 more than I bought it. Really miss it and now contemplating getting another that I can also use for Track Days. Here are a couple of photos...

IMG_0037_2.jpg

IMG_0038_2.jpg

Soldato
Here is my one -

Sorry for the pap photos, I'll give it a polish and take it somewhere to get some proper photos one day :o

Only had it a couple of weeks. Bought it with just under 30k on the clock, mechanically superb, structurally superb, bodywork... acceptable but that is a work in progress :p

Spec wise UK 1.8iS, standard apart from a Stainless exhaust, K&N panel filter and windbreak to stop my wig getting blown off.

Don't really want to go in to modding it so my limited plans are to have a go at getting the paint up to my standards (never had a non metallic so working on a car without a clear coat is new to me!), fitting front and rear chassis braces to try and lose some of the skuttle shake and maybe fit some low profile lights as they get on my wick a bit at night but that may just be something I get used to.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I miss my 5 :(

mia56.jpg

1.8iS Eunos with Rota Zero Plus, Meister-R coilovers, Racing Beat cat back and a bit of body smoothing.

Looked a wreck after a year though, the paint job was a huge waste of money as it didn't hold out and I just lost all love for the car to be bothered sorting it. Traded it for a MK5 GTi with all the options ticked which I them promptly wrote off less than 2 months later due to having my head up my backside. Now I have no car and no hope of having a nice one for a long time.

I would have another MK1 MX5 in a heartbeat, but I would deffo go the track route with it. One for the bucket list while I rebuild my life!

Back
Top Bottom