• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has AMD fixed its frame latency issues yet?

Associate
Just wondering if it's safe to go back in the red sea yet?

Before anybody's tempted. please nobody try to tell me AMD didn't have any latency issues, or they haven't personally noticed them, or Nvidia were just as bad, because 1) I disagree based on my own personal experience and 2) I really only specifically want to know if AMD have fixed their latency issues.

Cheers in advance :)

Caporegime
Just wondering if it's safe to go back in the red sea yet?

Before anybody's tempted. please nobody try to tell me AMD didn't have any latency issues, or they haven't personally noticed them, or Nvidia were just as bad, because 1) I disagree based on my own personal experience and 2) I really only specifically want to know if AMD have fixed their latency issues.

Cheers in advance :)

Latency has never been a problem for single gpu only in a couple of specific titles, that's now fixed. If you're referring to latency for multi gpu then the driver fix is coming in june. Most xfire users who post here all come to the conclusion that things are already smooth in the majority of games though so it will be interesting to see when the new drivers are out how people find them or if they stick with current method of higher fps/more latency with less input lag.

Soldato
No is the simple answer and should be sorted in June/July (hopefully).

Yes is the simple answer. The single GPU latency issues only affected a small number of games and were fixed with updated game profiles. If you plan to go CF then the issue still remains and the future drivers allegedly fix the problem but it's better to go with what works (SLI) than hope on a promise.

Associate
I appreciate its not what the OP asked but Radeon Pro pretty much sorts out most issues anyway, and is only as much hassle for me as going to nvidia control panel and setting up dynamic vsync. I am only posting as I was very hesitant about switching to red from a GTX 670 but couldn't be happier.

Soldato
if someone asks you a yes/no question and your answer is "yes, but..." then really your answer is a no

as is saying "never... except"

just sayin'

The OP didn't specify if it was single or multi GPU, so I answered yes assuming the former. I added the "but" as a qualifier on the chance he is referring to multi GPU.

Much better answer than your "no" which implies even single AMD GPU has frame latency issues, even though it most certainly does not.

bru

bru

Soldato
Not wanting to be awkward or anything, but if AMD have said they will have a fix in a driver due in June, then the straight forward answer is no they haven't fixed it yet.

Soldato
It is? When did they sort that out?
My GTX690 feels/looks smoother than the single 7970 i had let alone crossfired with another.

The same nvidia fcat technology that proved amd had a problem with smoothness has now shown in reviews that the 7970 is smoother than all cards bar titan.

To sum up amd have no problem with single card setups. The driver they are releasing in june/july is to fix cfx.

For single card's amd released there memory management drivers back in 13.1 beta * to address the problem that was causing some games to stutter even with single cards.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have to mistrust the answers that say that single cards never had a latency issue, and it was only ever crossfire, because I had smoothness problems with various different single cards going right up to the latest generation. With Nvidia these problems were much less noticeable. It was only after I stopped using AMD that I read about the frame latency discoveries, which as far as I can tell confirmed my experience that is was also single GPU AMD cards, not just multiple GPU setups.

So I don't really believe people if they try to say the AMD single card setups never had a problem. As for whether they've fixed the problem, summarising the above, some people say they've already fixed it, and some say they intend to fix it in June?

Permabanned
Dave nobody is saying above that AMD never had problems, for your information I suffered latency issues on BF3 with my GTX 680. The graphs show that single GPU latency is lower on AMD cards than Nvidia nowdays so yes it is fixed for single GPU. As for your last sentence people are saying it's already fixed for single GPU but the crossfire fix is coming in June.

Back
Top Bottom