The big children debate

Soldato
I'm starting to think i'm abnormal

What are peoples general opinion on kids and reproducing? At 28 I'm starting to think I'm the only person on the planet who actually dislikes children, and the people that a lot of parent become once they have kids.

At my age I know a fair % of people that have decided to reproduce their choice I might think they are crazy but I dont dispute its the right of people to do so if they wish, what does get me is the constant "parent talk" my sister for example has an 18 month old, who I can just about deal with in small doses as long as hes not screaming, does nothing more than talk about him and I really do mean nothing its a constant barrage of hes done this done that look how cute he is etc etc, now in some ways I feel sorry for her as shes obviously got nothing else in her life and so cant string together a conversation other than one about him, but in other ways it drives me barmy I use to get on with her we used to go out partying, she used to be a good crack now its all babies and ****. Shes not the only one I see old school mates that constantly witter on about their lives and spawn, my facebook news feed is just a wash with mums talking and taking pictures of their offspring and it makes me sad that these people have lost their identity as a person.

Long and short of it is I'm always getting little comments from people about how I might have kids in the future and the thought of it makes me want to turn violent. Do other people have this situation where we live in a world of expectations about who and what your supposed to be and if your not you should be sanctioned? Is there actually anyone else out there like me who would rather be castrated than loose their life to children? Or am I as I'm beginning to believe completely unstable borderline sociopathic and should be being visited by people with funny tasting tic tacs?

Soldato
my facebook news feed is just a wash with mums talking and taking pictures of their offspring and it makes me sad that these people have lost their identity as a person.

They very much have not lost their identities. Quite the opposite in fact. They are just proud mothers. It would appear that you may be losing your identity and you are blaming your friends happiness for your unhappines. ;)

Nothing wrong with not wanting kids though. I know pleanty of couples who have decided against though what is also evident is that many of my friends are having children a lot later in life. Mid-to-late thirties is very much the normal amongst my social group.

Soldato
In all seriousness, I've known since I was a teenager that I wasn't interested in having kids. The idea of someone being dependent on me terrifies the **** out of me. I also like a quiet life and screaming children make me rage.

I spend a lot of time with my niece, who is absolutely awesome, but then she's 12 and not screaming/crying/needing nappy changes. All the benefits, none of the grief! :D

Unfortunately my position on the matter makes relationships a bit difficult. I've split with 2 GFs over it. I never seem to meet any women that don't want to pop out a load of sprogs. :p

Soldato
OP
OP, you need therapy, preferably of the ECT type if you don't see people being normal is normal.

Therapy has been considered to try to make me into what you believe as to be "normal" but to me spending time surrounded by nappies, screaming kids, no sleep, no toys, and no way out seems crazy

The wife and I are 100% against reproducing.

A life of travelling the planet awaits.

How do you deal with the constant pressure to become a sheep?

In all seriousness, I've known since I was a teenager that I wasn't interested in having kids. The idea of someone being dependent on me terrifies the **** out of me. I also like a quiet life and screaming children make me rage.

I spend a lot of time with my niece, who is absolutely awesome, but then she's 12 and not screaming/crying/needing nappy changes. All the benefits, none of the grief! :D

Unfortunately my position on the matter makes relationships a bit difficult. I've split with 2 GFs over it. I never seem to meet any women that don't want to pop out a load of sprogs. :p

Also a rather big issue trying to date seriously with 95% of women turns into a break up

Last edited:
Soldato
Give it a few years and you'll probably change your mind or most likely a woman will change it for you ;)

The wife and I are 100% against reproducing.

A life of travelling the planet awaits.

How old is your wife? Most have a clock that will tick down and eventually snap in their early 30's even if they don't realise it. The only women I know in their 40's who haven't had kids obviously all regret it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I am very much the same. Most people I know who have children seem to lose their lives to them and that is the sole focus and outlet for their lives. I have no desire to have children at all and I never have. I try not to let it bother me but I can't stand bad parents who act as if their kids are the most important thing in the world whilst doing a pee poor job of raising them.

Facebook doesn't help the matter at all. I'm never sure if people are posting pictures for their family who never gets the see the kids or if they are just bored and attention seeking. Somewhat akin to the selfies people take to fish for comments like "looking gorg babes". They pretty much all look the same and 99% of them are not cute at all.

I'm sure that it won't take long for people who are parents themselves coming in with "you wouldn't understand because you are not a parent" along with the "you are just too selfish / immature at the moment"

Soldato
OP
Well that's wierd. You seem to lack empathy.

Why is it me that lacks empathy, I have told these people multiple times about my choice and they still go on, where is their empathy for me or does it only work one way?

Give it a few years and you'll probably change your mind or most likely a woman will change it for you ;)

Ive had a few long term relationships over the years and I will not budge on this stance

Soldato
How do you deal with the constant pressure to become a sheep?

Meh, don't feel any pressure, any questions that come our way we just say it's not going to happen.

How old is your wife? Most have a clock that will tick down and eventually snap in their early 30's even if they don't realise it. The only women I know in their 40's who haven't had kids obviously all regret it.

She's 30. I know what you're saying but I honestly don't see this happening, she's pretty clear on the matter lol.

Soldato
OP
I am very much the same. Most people I know who have children seem to lose their lives to them and that is the sole focus and outlet for their lives. I have no desire to have children at all and I never have. I try not to let it bother me but I can't stand bad parents who act as if their kids are the most important thing in the world whilst doing a pee poor job of raising them.

Facebook doesn't help the matter at all. I'm never sure if people are posting pictures for their family who never gets the see the kids or if they are just bored and attention seeking. Somewhat akin to the selfies people take to fish for comments like "looking gorg babes". They pretty much all look the same and 99% of them are not cute at all.

I'm sure that it won't take long for people who are parents themselves coming in with "you wouldn't understand because you are not a parent" along with the "you are just too selfish / immature at the moment"

Thats exactly my thoughts on the matter, why is it a one way street we are the crazy ones and will change one day apparently, and yet every parent seems to spend their lives complaining about how they don't have lives anymore, why would I want that?

Associate
I don't want children. I'm not maternal when I comes to kids at all. I don't even like my niece. I can pretty much say I hate children. Especially badly behaved kids, but I don't like well behaved ones either!

I love looking after my pets but the thought of carrying and then labour then looking after a kid? No thanks.

I'm too selfish for a kid, I like my life with my bf (luckily he don't want kids either) and don't want that to be spoiled. I always get the "you might change your mind" but I really don't think so. I may be only 24 but the thought of having a kid repulses me.

I also don't want to contribute to the overpopulated planet with a little "miracle". If I did change my mind I would probably adopt. Having a kid is not a right and people that get IVF enrage me.

Soldato
nowt wrong with it, especially when you see some parents that cant even look after themselves let alone kids, and a majority just seem to let them do what they want.

sad to the point where you notice good manners/behaviour because it's so rare nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom