Doing a charity walk and have no trainers. Recommendations?

Associate
It's 15 miles. Only walked that sort of distance once before that i know of and that was whilst drunk after missing a taxi and being skint.

A group of us plan to do this kind of thing every 6 months or so, and i can see the walks possibly getting longer. I just want something that'll do me well for this weekend though that i can get by Friday. Or will just a standard tidy pair of trainers do the job?

If not i just want something cheap as i'll probably only wear them for these walks.

Associate
OP
It's mostly on the road i'm guessing. I'd rather not have to wear-in a pair of shoes on the walk but i don't really have a choice. Unless i wear my astroturf football trainers. Not really suitable are they?

Soldato
Whatever you get make sure they're a good fit and broken in as a blister from new footwear will spoil your day.

If its on the road a comfortable pair of trainers should be fine, if its off road then what sort of terrain will you be walking over?

The last 2 years I've done a walk which has taken me over grass paths and I've worn trainers with no problems!

Associate
OP
Whatever you get make sure they're a good fit and broken in as a blister from new footwear will spoil your day.

If its on the road a comfortable pair of trainers should be fine, if its off road then what sort of terrain will you be walking over?

The last 2 years I've done a walk which has taken me over grass paths and I've worn trainers with no problems!

Will mostly be road i'd imagine. I've actually had a few problems with my toes a couple of weeks ago, as my casual trainers had been worn in so much the rubber underneath the material had been revealed causing a lot of sweaty friction to the point i could barely walk for a few days. I understand i need to wear a pair in but i don't think i have the time for it. I had planned to just wear my ordinary trainers until that happened and haven't had the chance to go shopping for a new pair. Albeit, i do have another casual pair somewhere, i think they are of Osiris brand. Best off wearing them, my astroturf footy trainers or buying something new?

Last edited:
Associate
Barefoot for double the sponsorship money!

I did 12 miles coast to coast recently; over mixed terrain like sand, grass, asphalt, gravel and rocks. Was perfectly comfortable in my old Hobos shoes. Leather inner is SO good. I'm not a fan of trainers, they can be too squashy, making your foot do more work, and they get smelly. Whatever you pick though good arch support is a must!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
15 miles is short for a walk, you should be running it really make it 30 then maybe get sponsorship

Because running a marathon at 26.2 miles isn't long enough.

OP
This may seem over the top but if this is something you are going to do regularly go to a proper running/walking shop and not JJB or Sports Direct.
Tell the staff what you are doing and what your budget is and let them make suggestions.
At this point you could make mental notes, walk out of the shop and see if JJB or Sports Direct have the same shoe for half the price.
If you come from Stoke we have the wonderful Bournes Sports where athletes come from all over the world to visit.

Associate
I'd recommend some lightweight waterproof walking boots - especially if you're going to do this more than once. I have some lightweight Scarpa boots that I use for walking and on my cycling commute (for when it's wet). They feel hardly heavier than trainers and they provide much more support and protection.

Associate
OP
When i say regularly, i probably mean once or twice a year. May not mean regularly really, and the distance will never be that long because of the group i'll be going with. A bunch of overweight pub-goers doing it in the name of ones old man who died of cancer and my best mate who had a heart transplant 3 years ago and died last year.

My mums shopping in Cardiff today, i could probably get her to pick me up something and i give her the cash. But now i'm starting to wonder if ordinary casual trainers are sufficient enough because of so many people saying 15 miles isn't that far. As for wearing in a new pair of shoes, is that really an issue, because obviously, i don't really have the time for it.

Soldato
It's 15 miles. Only walked that sort of distance once before that i know of and that was whilst drunk after missing a taxi and being skint.

A group of us plan to do this kind of thing every 6 months or so, and i can see the walks possibly getting longer. I just want something that'll do me well for this weekend though that i can get by Friday. Or will just a standard tidy pair of trainers do the job?

If you enjoy having blisters the size of 50 pence pieces, by all means wear trainers for a 15-mile walk. Otherwise, invest in a decent pair of walking boots from an outdoor outfitters. You can get a good pair of Berghaus boots for around £90, they'll last you for years, and they're better for your feet in winter as well.

Back
Top Bottom