Spec me a NAS...

Associate
...with the following features,

- 2 bays (I'll add couple of 3/4TB hard drives)
- direct connection capability (I know there are few NAS that can do this, but I can't remember which, via ethernet, USB 3 or eSata will do fine)
- <£200 budget (for the NAS itself, but if you can recommend a NAS with at least 2x 3TB drives for <400, that's cool)

I want one with direct connection capablity because my current router is a massive garbage, so I'd like to be able to use it directly until I get a better router (which I can't really get until I switch ISP, not much point going for a new router /w modem when I'm switching to cable hopefully)

Associate
Ah, the Proliant microserver fanboy's are out again.

Not everyone wants the hassle of setting one up so for a 2 bay NAS there's only one option, a Synology DS212J or DS213 if you can afford the extra.

Man of Honour

Not everyone wants the hassle of setting one up so for a 2 bay NAS there's only one option, a Synology DS212J or DS213 if you can afford the extra.

Seeing as the OP hasn't said otherwise, why the hate?

(I have a DS207+ and agree they are easier to set up, if that is what he wants).

Man of Honour
You can do it with the diskstation but I think it's a bit of a faf as its not designed to connect directly only through the router.

I've had a 1 bay diskstation for about 2 years and its fantastic

Direct connection via Ethernet works very well on the Synology NAS series.

I had the 212j and now have the 413j, and highly recommend them.

Associate
OP
Probably should have mentioned that I don't want Microserver.

Synology seems to be ideal, I've been looking at them and they seem decent, leaning towards DS213J at the moment.

Caporegime
I like Microservers, I have one. I can also appreciate that sometimes people don't want to have to mess around with building a NAS themselves using software that they can't get support on. If I was doing it all again I'd just buy a Synology box.

Soldato
Synology or QNAP NASes really ... But as for the direct connection element ... Just grab a cheap gigabit switch and connect the PC, NAS and router to that then transfers between the PC as NAS won't be affected by the quality of the router (assuming everything is on wired connections)

Associate
OP
Router's downstairs and I have no way of getting the wired connection upstairs unless I invest in powerline devices.

I'm stuck with router's awful wireless transfer speed (24mbps, that's around 3MB for me, too slow)

There is a reason why I wanted to go with direct connection until I upgrade my router and few other stuff.

Soldato
HP Proliant Microserver, if/when it has £100 off, has been out for as little as £75 after cashback. 4x3.5 bays and a 5.25 one

This and put the synology software on ;)

I had a DS211j till a week ago and then got a N54L installed synology and it's way faster and better in every way.

Soldato
Well the microserver will use abound £25 more in electic a year, so after 7 or so years price wise they will even out.. assuming the extra processing power, memory and 3 extra drive bays are never required.

Back
Top Bottom