Want a new phone.

Soldato
I have broke another iPhone 4S and pretty sure my phone insurer is going to be fed up with me now. So i am half expecting them to say "NO" when i ring them to tell them i have broke another.

So, my budget is no more than £300.

I don't do gaming or messing about with apps.

Want something with a very good camera, good with low light and better than the rubbish camera on the iphone. Also it must be able to have the Natwest and Runtastic apps on there.

Cheaper the better, but i will pay up to £300 if need be.

Thank you :)

Man of Honour
Lumia 920/925, 925 is probably over budget.
Has both those aops and the best camera, other than the lumia 1020

Last edited:
Associate
I have broke another iPhone 4S and pretty sure my phone insurer is going to be fed up with me now. So i am half expecting them to say "NO" when i ring them to tell them i have broke another.

So, my budget is no more than £300.

I don't do gaming or messing about with apps.

Want something with a very good camera, good with low light and better than the rubbish camera on the iphone. Also it must be able to have the Natwest and Runtastic apps on there.

Cheaper the better, but i will pay up to £300 if need be.

Thank you :)

You are going to struggle finding a phone with a camera that can handle low-light situations well. The HTC One is widely regarded as being the best of a poor bunch at capturing low-light images but they are way over your budget. I'd be looking at getting a Nexus 4 or a Galaxy S3 with your budget.

Soldato
OP
Lumia 920/925, 925

Windows phone? When did Bill start making these? Are they as hard to figure out as a Windows computer? If so i am buggered :p

Does no one rate the Sony Xperia SP? Seems to pop up a lot when i google best camera phone for £300.

Is the S3 a vast improvement over the S1? I had a launch S1 and hated everything about it, was always breaking on its own and over heating whilst in my pocket.

Thanks

Soldato
Lumia 920 you'd be an idiot buying anything else.

The above is a figure of speech this isn't me being mean mods.. I'm a good boy...

Elaboration:

You want a good camera, this has the best camera on the market for its price range, the only reason to buy Android is if you want a very open OS which allows you to completely mess about with ROMS, you have said this isn't what you want, Windows Phone is the most smooth running OS on any phone.

Edit: Another thing you mention is you've been on iOS for a while, in that case you wont feel lost without your open, exposed OS.

Last edited:
Associate
Is the S3 a vast improvement over the S1? I had a launch S1 and hated everything about it, was always breaking on its own and over heating whilst in my pocket.

Thanks

I have a rooted S3 with Cyanogen mod ROM and its great. The UI is smooth and doesn't struggle with any apps despite the out of date internals.

Soldato
OP
Edit: Another thing you mention is you've been on iOS for a while, in that case you wont feel lost without your open, exposed OS.

Yes been using one for years. Ready for a change and just want a better camera.

Found it at a shop (Simply E....) for £238. The prices seem to vary massively between shops though. Some even at £450? I don't get it? All Nokia Lumia 920's are the same are they not besides memory?

I have a rooted S3 with Cyanogen mod ROM and its great. The UI is smooth and doesn't struggle with any apps despite the out of date internals.

That hurt my head just reading that. Will it work fine out of the box?

Man of Honour
You'll find all relatively old phones very in price like that, some shops just keep it at a high price and hope people are dumb.
920 has image stabilisation, so you wont get a better camera on other phones for that price. Wp8 is just as easy as ios.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sorry, yeah typo. On my phone.
920 and yes it has Nokia drive sat nav out the box, or can install other satnavs like copilot if you prefer.

Soldato
OP
Guessing he meant 920 then?

So everyone agree's, the 920 is the phone to go for with my budget?

I will put 920 on the list then. Will pop down to Tesco and see if they have one of these Windows phones on display and see if i like the layout.

As long as it is simple, ill be happy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guessing he meant 920 then?

So everyone agree's, the 920 is the phone to go for with my budget?

I will put 920 on the list then. Will pop down to Tesco and see if they have one of these Windows phones on display and see if i like the layout.

As long as it is simple, ill be happy.

Have a good play around with it if you can. It's very different to what you'll be used to.

Man of Honour
I whole heartedly agree on the Nokia 920, great camera for low light and image stabilizer, and the OS is a breeze to use and imho the best mobile OS to date, granted it needs a few things here and there but which OS doesn't?

:)

Associate
Just to throw a spanner I'd say also have a look at the Lumia 720 - based on your budget and requirements.

Almost as good as the 920 for low light photo's (F1.9), smaller/lighter, cheaper, longer battery, micro sd support, wireless charging optional. etc etc..

If you don't play games you won't miss the slower processor and less ram and whilst the display is lower res obviously it really is very good!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to throw a spanner I'd say also have a look at the Lumia 720 - based on your budget and requirements.

Almost as good as the 920 for low light photo's (F1.9), smaller/lighter, cheaper, longer battery, micro sd support, wireless charging optional. etc etc..

If you don't play games you won't miss the slower processor and less ram and whilst the display is lower res obviously it really is very good!

Whilst the camera on the 720 is good, it doesn't have OIS, I think you'd be mad to go for one over a 920. Especially with how cheap the 920 is now. The batteries in the two devices are the same size, but the 720 will last longer due to being AMOLED and having a slower processor/memory combo. Personally I'm also not a fan of the overly sharp screen on the 720.

Associate
The 920 is still £100+ more expensive than the 720 I think.

It's an IPS LCS screen though I believe rather than AMOLED, interested in why you think it's overly sharp though given the lower resolution and pixel density vs the 920?

Soldato
They have implemented an artificial sharpening on the screen, to compensate for the lower res. Yet personally I think the 4.3" 800x480 AMOLED on the 820 looks miles better, purely because they haven't over sharpened it.

Man of Honour
The op wants s good camera and can afford the 920, no idea why for camera as one of the nsin features you would pick or suggest a 720.

Posting from 4/5 up a mountain, whilst putting some blister plasters on.

Back
Top Bottom