Diffused lighting - built in wardrobe

Man of Honour
I'm in the process of designing some built in over bed wardrobes and units for the new house, and I want to include some lighting. Lighting inside the wardrobe that will illuminate both the inside of the wardrobe and also function as a gentle bedside light.

At this stage I'm considering either fluorescent tubes hidden in a void inside the wardrobe or possibly even 12v LED strips running off a house alarm battery (done this before)

My struggle is diffusing the light from either source. The diffuse steps would need to be reasonably long and thin, unless I come up with a different design which is possible.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a material to diffuse the lights without costing the earth?

Man of Honour
OP
How does this work? I can't see the fridge light when the door is shut :confused:

Fluorescents come with diffusers?

It's a wardrobe, not a fridge. Imagine a wardrobe, with a light in it. Imagine you want to see that light from the outside as well as when the door is open. So, I'll be cutting a hole in the side of the wardrobe which will need some form of diffuser to fill that hole, or it will look horrendous.....

Permabanned
So, I'll be cutting a hole in the side of the wardrobe
Ah, vital information ...totally left out :p

Japanese paper wall type thing maybe?

If you want something pro then acid etch a piece of glass and match the trim to the wardrobe.
Diffuse adhesive film is cheaper though.

Back
Top Bottom