Amsterdam or Bruges?

Soldato
Thinking of going to either of these destinations for a 3-4 day break with the other half

I love the visual appeal of Bruges, it looks lovely but im aware of the lack of things to do. As for Amsterdam, theres probably more to fill up a few days with but we're both put off by the negative aspects, red light districts and booze!

A relatively relaxing city break with great sights would be the ideal objective :)

Edit: prague is out of the question, weather doesn't look ideal!

Soldato
Bruges is unmissable for a couply short break.

You'll be perfectly content exploring, boating around the canals, sitting in the cafes, seeing the historical sites, eating + drinking (frites and belgian beers!), and generally chilling out. There's plenty to do for 4 days.

daz

daz

Soldato
When are you going? I think Bruges is nicer when the weather is better - because you'll want to sit outside drinking beer and eating nice food and explore the medieval streets as well as going on canal trips. Amsterdam I'm sure is improved by the weather, but I think you would get more out of Amsterdam when the weather is worse than you would out of Bruges.

Man of Honour
It's worth going to Amsterdam just for the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum. You can easily spend a day in both.

khq6.jpg

Soldato
It's worth going to Amsterdam just for the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum. You can easily spend a day in both.

nice pic there sir, i found a nice little bar not to far from that shot to the right, they feed you plenty of nuts so to get a thirst up, i didnt have a problem with that.
Did you pop into Alto Jazz club when you had a visit. :)

bJN

bJN

Soldato
How would you be travelling there? When I get some time off in the next 6 months I intend on going to Stockholm for a weekend - it's relatively cheap to get there too ;)

Associate
How would you be travelling there? When I get some time off in the next 6 months I intend on going to Stockholm for a weekend - it's relatively cheap to get there too ;)

I'm going to Stockholm on 5th Sept. Flying Norwegian Air for £86 return for the weekend.

As for the op I'd say Bruges, as already said, its great for couples breaks. I went in Feb and stayed in the Grand Hotel Casselbergh.
If you go up the tower in the main square go first thing in the morning, it opens at 9am I think and has hardly anyone there.

You can't ignore the frites museum, surprisingly quite a lot there about all things related.
also the chocolate museum and the The Half Moon Brewery where they brew Zot, we had an awesome guide who was very amusing - an older fella with glasses and a 'tache.

Soldato
OP
Excellent, cheers for the advice guys!

Bruges is unmissable for a couply short break.

You'll be perfectly content exploring, boating around the canals, sitting in the cafes, seeing the historical sites, eating + drinking (frites and belgian beers!), and generally chilling out. There's plenty to do for 4 days.

Sold! :)

For those who have flown to Bruges, how did you find the trip? Travelling from Glasgow to Brussels with BA obviously has the inevitable 3+ hour stop offs in London - not too bad but hows the trip from Brussels to Bruges?

daz

daz

Soldato
Eurostar train to Brussels and then train to Bruges would be my recommendation. It's about 45 minutes from Brussels.

Soldato
Amsterdam: Cheap, full of drugs, and awesome.

Bruges: Expensive, full of booze, and awesome.

Bruges is infinitely more picturesque than Amsterdam. For a break with the mrs it wins hands down... no contest.

Be warned travelling in Belgium is not cheap. Book your shuttle from the airport to Brussels online in advance, and get a return train ticket from Brussels to Bruges (5 euro to Bruges, 17 the other way)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom