Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Yeah, to do it the hard way you'd need to ride Sheff to Manc really. Can do a cracking ride from Sheffield, up Winnats, through Chapel-en-le-Frith to Pott Shrigley and Macclesfield.

Ok, we'll work towards that ;).

Is there good (cheap?) all day parking at Manc station? Ages since I've been up there.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
was thinking of something along the lines of tiagra + new seat post/stem.. I quite like the current bars so I don't really see any reason to switch from them to another alloy set.

how much of an upgrade would an older style(with thumb shifters) sora groupo to tiagra(latest one) be? would I actually see any difference shifting wise?

also what is a comparable groupo from SRAM/Campy that sits at the level of tiagra/105 :o

around 400-450 is what I'd like to spend upgrading it.

It seems like a bit of a waste to spend that much on a Triban upgrade when for not very much more you could get an entirely new bike with better almost everything.

Soldato
It seems like a bit of a waste to spend that much on a Triban upgrade when for not very much more you could get an entirely new bike with better almost everything.

well.. frame etc is a frame its a comfy frame for me and thats the main part.. the only thing seriously letting it down is the groupo..

I have upgraded the wheels, the seat etc.. it hardly looks like a triban :)

what would another full bike for 700-800quid change compared to alu b'twin frame with 105 groupo and mid range wheelset? bars, chainset, stem etc will be just as cheap on a "new" bike.. :o:D

Associate
Man of Honour
well.. frame etc is a frame its a comfy frame for me and thats the main part.. the only thing seriously letting it down is the groupo..

I have upgraded the wheels, the seat etc.. it hardly looks like a triban :)

what would another full bike for 700-800quid change compared to alu b'twin frame with 105 groupo and mid range wheelset? bars, chainset, stem etc will be just as cheap on a "new" bike.. :o:D

Personally I'd go for the kaffenback 2 though that's only tiagra...and from memory you don't like disc brakes so..yeah....it's a rubbish suggestion for you :p

Stretch to a grand and you're looking at a whole lot more bike ;)

...or purchase second-hand as suggested and you can probably get a great deal.

I'll sell you my old Marin Toscana for £300 and you can upgrade it... it's got none of the stuff you want so it's a perfect deal (for me) :p

Associate
For a big stack of cash :(

Drops to 2K on the first refresh. After 5 mins down to 1K.

Would love to do this in '14 though so going to leave waiting.

It will get there you just might miss the first 4000 price. Still for 95 Euros its not a bad price considering what you get compared to the prices of UK sportives. Last year we got rucksacks with a few goodies + rapha non cycling t-shirt. The whole scale of the event is massive but was really well run. This year logistically it was really easy as it was a loop. I would suggest anyone that gets in starts looking at accommodation now as apparently it gets taken really quickly in and around Pau. Also this year the actual stage is only 4 days later so you will start to get people staying to watch as well.

I am going for 9 days to incorporate a couple of rides before and then staying on to watch the tour through.

cannot wait already!

Underboss
anyone got any of these front lights? :

Lezyne Super Drive
Lezyne Mega Drive
Cateye Volt 1200

I am in a bit of a dilemma, Halfords are giveing me another 10% back, as I think they gave me the wrong light

I have here a brand new Lezyne Super Drive XL (last years model) Loaded pack
cost me £80 currently, if I keep it, will be £72

but ive been reading reviews as you do, and cost per actual lumens, its not good value for money

The Cateye Volt 1200 (1234 Lumens) I can get for £130, = £9.48 per lumen
The Mega Drive (2013 model) (1140 Lumens) If I can get for £120 or less, then its £9.50 per lumen

The Super Drive (509 Lumens) will be £72 = 7.06 per lumen

So I am thinking of getting a brighter light, as I live in the sticks, no street lighting at all

thoughts?

Soldato
What's your budget?

I had several Lezyne Macro's 300lm and new model 350lm. They were fine for commuting even on country roads at up to 20mph. I recently bought an Exposure Diablo though as week night training in a chain gang at 27mph I needed more oomph. The Diablo is 1200lm and is like having flood light on the front of your bars. Can be found for around £160ish

Otherwise people are buying those cheap CREE lights from eBay that seem to be getting good feedback. Someone will probably link to the ones soon enough.

Underboss
Thanks uniQ

I am disregarding the CREEs and Magicshine lights

The Diablo is a cracking light, but too expensive for me, I don't want to spend that much

I will be using it after work or early morning, and on low setting throughout the day time hours, I want one not for commuting, but as im getting stronger, eventually im going to need more light, so I want a good one to have the options and in the long term, want to purchase just one decent light, an "all in one" no external batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom