SAAB 9-3 Buying

Soldato
Hi all,

I've seen and test driven a 2006 Saab 9-3 TID(150) Vector sport.

The car has full service history up to 78 currently sitting on 79k.

The dealer is fairly reputable however showed me some information pointing that cambelt needs replacing at 90k (for 2007 and onwards that's true) - from what I can see online people says it is done at 72k servicing as part of the service for (2006) - in the book there are just stamps is there any visual way I can tell by looking at the car? or would I need to call the dealer who serviced and find out?

It's up for 4500 but from haggling I think 3800-4000 would be accepted.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Five years ago I bought a 2005 9-3 Aero 2.0T for £4500 (then sold it to a guy on here a year later for the same)... Given that this seems like a lot for an 8 year old car.

Associate
I also had a 2006 9-3 tid 150. Brought it as it had full Saab service history upto 80k(bought it at 83k). In my 18 months of ownership I had to replace the following

Inlet manifold
Alternator
Dual mass flywheel & clutch
New battery
Clutch master cylinder
Fuel pressure regulator

Apart from having to replace the above it was a nice car to drive. Oh yeh the cambelt and water pump interval is 62k

Caporegime
That's a lot of money, although the diesels do demand higher prices, generally.

Find the same car and go private, stick some wanted ads up on saabcentral and uksaabs :)

Associate
I recently bought a 2005 9-3 1.9 vector sport 150 and I am really liking it.

It had 88k on it with part service history and a full years MOT.

I paid £2950 for it.

The garage were a bit unsure if the cambelt had been changed so the first thing I did was to have that done along with the water pump.

Swirl flaps are a weak point on these but can be fixed with a repair kit off of Ebay for £30 unless you want to go down the route of a new inlet and swirl flap actuator which will cost around £250 plus fitting.

I have done around 1500 miles in it since I bought it and have enjoyed every single one of them. Very comfortable car and a bit of power behind it.

Caporegime
I really should learn more about the TDI series of these cars, I know the Petrol Aero version inside out (coming up for 3rd year of ownership on my own) - can they be mapped as well as the petrols?

Associate
I have had a quick look at remaps for the 150 recently and I believe you are looking at around an extra 30% increase in power but different companies are quoting difference increases.

Hirsch seems to be one of the most popular as it is approved by Saab but is one of the most expensive.

Caporegime
I have had a quick look at remaps for the 150 recently and I believe you are looking at around an extra 30% increase in power but different companies are quoting difference increases.

Hirsch seems to be one of the most popular as it is approved by Saab but is one of the most expensive.

That's a pretty decent gain. Similar to the gains made in mine, I got a 'noobtune' from uksaabs.co.uk for £50 - Increased to almost 260bhp :D

Caporegime
£50 for that increase is really good.

Did you just send off your ECU for him to map it?

Na, arranged it with him through PM's then drove to his near the Midlands. Parked it outside his house, he disconnected the ECU, downloaded the current map onto his machine, adjusted it, loaded it back onto the ECU then took it for a spin to make sure it was running properly :)

Thoroughly nice guy, explained it all how it worked etc, how he got into doing it. I think it was £50-£70 - was done shortly after I got the car so my memory is failing a bit :p

Saabnoob is his username if you want to look him up :)

Soldato
OP
Found one down the road - 82k miles instead of 79 same spec - missing 1 service - dealer will do cambelt,tensioner,waterpump and service for £280.

Up currently for £3495 - so £3765 with all the above done - think that's a good deal?

Potentially want to get it down to 3300-3400 for the car itself.

Caporegime
Slightly OT but I am looking at an 06 9-3 Aero Convertible on Saturday, would there be anything specifically to look out for? I have read about the suspension control arms.

Yes, depending on its mileage (if it's done over 70k) make sure you give it 100% over 5k - Reason being on the petrol models they have whats called an SAI check valve which goes from 70k onwards. When it does you'll know it because the car will put itself into a limp mode - the valve itself is only £90 but if left long enough it will cause water to sit inside the throttle body and can cause hydro lock and completely annihilate the engine. It's also a 5 minute job to swap over.

Also, misfiring, the direct ignition coils can go around the same sort of time and onwards, these are around £55-£70 each to replace - to cure mine I had to put a full set on.

Otherwise it should run fine. Suspension issues are mainly on the 2003-2005 models. They had problems suspension springs snapping, track rod issues etc.

Caporegime
Found one down the road - 82k miles instead of 79 same spec - missing 1 service - dealer will do cambelt,tensioner,waterpump and service for £280.

Up currently for £3495 - so £3765 with all the above done - think that's a good deal?

Potentially want to get it down to 3300-3400 for the car itself.

Got a link to it?

Soldato
Yes, depending on its mileage (if it's done over 70k) make sure you give it 100% over 5k - Reason being on the petrol models they have whats called an SAI check valve which goes from 70k onwards. When it does you'll know it because the car will put itself into a limp mode - the valve itself is only £90 but if left long enough it will cause water to sit inside the throttle body and can cause hydro lock and completely annihilate the engine. It's also a 5 minute job to swap over.

Also, misfiring, the direct ignition coils can go around the same sort of time and onwards, these are around £55-£70 each to replace - to cure mine I had to put a full set on.

Otherwise it should run fine. Suspension issues are mainly on the 2003-2005 models. They had problems suspension springs snapping, track rod issues etc.

OK, Noted thank you. It's done 100k but has a complete service history.

Back
Top Bottom