• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My 290x's HOWL

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yikes!!! :mad: :mad:

So got around to running tests on my system today just running some 3dmarks and general gaming to make sure it is stable and no obvious hardware problems.

All is fine apart from the proverbial cat dying inside the case. Coil whine is... immense.

So, Where do start guys? PSU? RMA the cards? Hot glue gun?

Suggestions please... Fortunately I need to drain the loop to replace one of the pumps anyway, so I can take the cards out at the same time... but god this is annoying.

2x r290 flashed to full r290x
RIVE
Corsair 1200i PSU

Soldato
So, Where do start guys? PSU?

Corsair 1200i PSU
I would start by changing around the PCI-e power cables..
Try swapping them around on the cards sockets and changing the sockets they plug into the PSU..

And see if that makes any difference...

But First thing to do is try one GPU at a time and see if one is whining more then the other..

Soldato
The rive has pcie kill switches so you can just shut a lane off to try each card individually. If neither are bad on its own I'd be looking at the PSU & cable/rail arrangement.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So i tested them both individually, and yea they both scream louadly on their own, so as you can imagine, together its untollerable.

Going to pick up one of the 1500i psu's (unless anyone has an alternate suggestion) to test with to see if an alternate PSU fixes the problem.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So have had it sat in a game menu for best part of 35 or so hours, which seems to have mildly helped take it from a squeeling noise to.. slightly less.

Switching over to the evga supernova psu didnt do anything. Still makes a damn lot of noise....

Looks like its RMA time.. sigh :(

Back
Top Bottom