• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ways to cool my r9 290

Associate
hay,
so i am looking for a way to cool my 290. I want to replace the reference cooler.
Would it be possible to mount a H80 on the GPU and get some heat sinks and also stink these on the VRAM? Has anyone done this?
Also how would i stick the heat sinks on? Can i get sticky pads to use? Can these also be removed aswell?

Thanks for your help

Associate
I would look at a proper water cooling solution if I were you. Yes it's pricier, but It'll be worth it in the long run (for example being able to include the cpu as part of the cooling and flexibility for multi gnu setups) rather than hacking a AIO.

Soldato
Wish I had gone water Cooling + decent case a long time ago.

I let it be more expensive than it needed be, but if I had done it a long time ago I could have saved myself so much hassle in the past fighting with temps and noise.

It's really not very difficult. Hell I hardly read a thing about it, but have managed pretty well so far.

So in a nutshell, as above :)

Soldato
custom wc is definately the way to go for performance, but i recall seeing a while back a fellow doing a combo of a generic gpu cooler and some alpenfohn vrm and ram heatsinks, could be another option.

you could consider a single gpu loop to begin with, then be able to add in the cpu as well later when funding is better

Soldato
i recall seeing a while back a fellow doing a combo of a generic gpu cooler and some alpenfohn vrm and ram heatsinks, could be another option.

Was it my 290X you speak of?

1606ae11f204ca81f8cadbc597f7bb07.jpg

eb66f967120014921785ba24d4186fea.jpg

Modded AC Xtreme to fit an alpenfohn vrm, max temps 58c@stock/66c@1200/1550MHz.

The above Xtreme isn't the 7970 version, it's my original 5870 Xtreme using the newer shroud from the 7970 one.

@OP, I answered in your Xtreme IV thread(not that you bothered replying:p), the Xtreme IV is your cheapest all round bet, full auto/custom fan control using AB.

Soldato
Custom water loop is even better more cards you have Vs air cooled since you dont have to worry so much about the cards lack of space between them and airflow.

Back
Top Bottom