MTB Spec please

Underboss
Riders,

Looks like I will be getting a salary advance for a season ticket to buy a bicycle for work.

The budget will be £500, don't need a helmet.

I want a hardtail MTB, mainly because you can't get a full susp bike for that price and my ride to work will be 12 miles round trip on a mixture of roads and trials, I will also be hitting some local trials on the weekend.

I'd ideally like a bike with 100mm of travel, disc brakes are a must, I'm 5f10 so I think a 18" frame will be fine.

Just looking to see if I can get decent bang for my buck in this price bracket. As for makes and colours I'm not too bothered, don't want it to be crazy heavy and would like it to last me for a few years and be able to handle trails and road riding.

Over to you guys really, I haven't had a bicycle since my 1998 Kona Roast so am massivley out of touch.

Feel free to reconmend any "must have" items for MTB'ing.

I've got a helmet and was looking at a rucksack (enough to hold gym kit and work stuff etc), MTB shoes as I hate slipping the pedals so the more grip the better, padded shorts as I'm doing a 50miler in September and can already feel the burn. Sports Direct seem to have some dirt cheap stuff at the moment.

Ta
Josh

Underboss
OP
I need to have a new one I think for the salary advance, I'll have to check with them.

Would prefer however to get new, that way at least I can get a warranty etc

Not heard of them before, I'll check it out ta.

Caporegime
do you actually need the suspension? just how bad are these trails ?
Might be worth considering a cyclocross bike or hybrid if you want something quicker for your commute that can handle dirt trails at the weekends.

your not going to be jumping from great heights on that voodoo anyway

CX
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_992074_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

Hybrid
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_875979_langId_-1_categoryId_165534
I have the mx race hybrid bought when they were like 650 last year :S

a lot of my route is on these paths (random images off the route I use from google)
DIBF0UX.jpg vGSvPO0.jpg
XlVANXH.jpg yXDjBNC.jpg
sdqmp3G.jpg

If that's likely the worst sorts of stuff you will be riding on or similar then you don't need massive bulky mountain bike tyres.

OP is another want's a MTB because it's what he had many moons ago and feels comfortable with.

times move on and MTB are not the only off road bike.

I started off with a hybrid last year and whilst I'm happy with it soon I will buy a CX bike for the better riding position

BTW you can get 10% of at halfords if you are a member of British cycling which is something silly cheap like £20
Usually their bikes are on sale every few months as well so you could likely get one for around 500 even though we are linking £599 bikes
theres also quidco or whatever cashback as well if you buy online and collect in store, just check what size you need in a store first

Last edited:
Soldato
Canyon yellowstone is the same price but a bit better spec than the VooDoo. Check delivery times carefully first though!

edit: sorry, i'm looking at the wrong spec list for the canyon. Both are the same price and same spec. get the voodoo to avoid the wait

Underboss
OP
Great post thanks Arknor, the trials I wil be riding are around military training areas near to where I live, from what I have been told they are pretty brutal and the lads that ride them suggest suspension is a must.

This is a picture from the top of one of the smaller hills, there are also disused trench systems and jumpy bits.

dCQ9imMl.jpg

It will be about a 50/50 mixture of roads and these.
Hybrid
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_875979_langId_-1_categoryId_165534
I have the mx race hybrid bought when they were like 650 last year :S

That looks pretty good, think I should go and have a sit of a few of these in the shop to get a good feel for them?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom