Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Well..that was truly hideous. I think I was a bit hungover and my legs were a bit pwn'd from earlier riding this week but the thing that really topped it all off was the hideous rain whilst going up the A53 to Buxton. So bad that as soon as I got the the descent into Buxton proper I had to go super slow too.

We were meant to do a little more climbing and go home via Glossop but, utterly drenched and demoralized, we caught the train back to Manchester.

http://www.strava.com/activities/144952975

The one bright side of it all is that I'm quite sure I won't struggle much with the first leg of London to Paris and I'm also going to be far more ruthless about what I'll be taking with me. So much extra weight carried today that wasn't really needed. Made those hills all the more fun.

Soldato
Day 1 of the tour of Wessex:
https://www.strava.com/activities/145005902

Probably the worst day I've had on the bike. Horrendous weather, it just poured all day and I spent the entire ride drenched! The elevation on Garmin is wrong, water must have screwed the pressure sensor as there was more like 2500m ascent

Tomorrow is further but supposedly a little easier, but more importantly dry. Bracing myself for punctures though as there will be no end of stones washed into the road

Jesus, 175bpm average heart rate! Sounds awful, and similar to my TdF ride the other week. Hope the conditions are better for you tomorrow!

Soldato
Torn my bar tape!
What mat black bar tape does everyone recommend?
BTW if you're feeling fruity, planet x have twin packs of punkpink tyres for £40 ish

Last edited:
Soldato
They look good but i think they might be a bit susceptible to side winds which isnt ideal.
Trying to find out some 'real world' weights for the wheel....
tbh it would make more sense just using the Zonda's and selling the RS11 it would come with as default.
Or selling all and going with some handbuilts...hmmmm.

If you are looking to spend that sort of money consider the Zonda's, about the best price/performance off the peg wheelset there is.
Or go handbuilt, Cycleclinic do some nice wheels, go for Miche hubs which are cheap and robust and easy to service. Not the lightest hub but doesnt matter so much, the rim/spokes will make the difference to on the road feel. Might be an idea to go with 23mm wide rims for extra comfort?

Cycleclinic options

eg Velocity A23
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk/Whe...ocity_A23_wheelset/velocity_a23_wheelset.html

Or the H Plus Son Archetypes rims (he sells on ebay as well, infact best looking at his wheelsets on ebay).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handbuilt...cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item68d8767013

I've got both A23 and Archetype based wheelsets and I'd pick the Archetypes every day of the week.

Wonderful rims.

The coloured brake tracks will wear to silver, so if this bothers you pick the silver coloured ones.

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;26351019 said:
I've got both A23 and Archetype based wheelsets and I'd pick the Archetypes every day of the week.

Wonderful rims.

The coloured brake tracks will wear to silver, so if this bothers you pick the silver coloured ones.

Are £300 wheels overkill on a £600 bike? I mean, obviously I can keep them for whatever bike I get next, but in the short term?

Soldato
Are £300 wheels overkill on a £600 bike? I mean, obviously I can keep them for whatever bike I get next, but in the short term?

I'm sure you could get something for less than that if you asked a good builder.

Thecyclecling is, by all accounts, an excellent builder who should be able to come up with something closer to your budget.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Yes, I've managed to pump my tyres to 120PSI, used my whole body to push the pump to that pressure. Cut my hand when trying to take off the thing from the valve, the pump is okay though. :p

P.S Strangely when I pumped my mums bike to 40PSI everything went smoothly, but again taking the the thing from the valve didn't go with an ease...

Soldato
My new bike came with R501s, which aren't spectacular. I've half a mind to put the handbuilt Mavic Opensports from my old bike on there.

If I was you I'd just kill the 501's before getting anything :) you won't notice much if any difference after buying a new wheel set. - unless you spend good money on it, IMO of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom