LG to Introduce 34-inch IPS 21:9 UltraWide (Model UM95) monitor

Soldato
God! I have this monitor and 2 980's sitting in the basket and each passing day I'm tempted more and more to hit that buy button. I'm just waiting on reviews for the 34" AOC monitor, to finally decide. Blimey the wait is hard though!

I would wait to be honest. This monitor is really stunning but god damn the issues drive me crazy lol.
Just when I thought I had the perfect monitor with no backlight bleed another issue pops up and its starting to annoy me on such an expensive monitor as im noticing it more and more now.

Soldato
I don't know if this is helpful but I found a way to replicate the tearing down the center issue quite easily.
Just overclocked my monitor to 75hz. Everything works fine but scrolling down on a webpage the tearing happens a lot.
Infact anything over 60 hz it happenes more often. Which is annoying as 75hz works perfectly on this... no flickering or anything but the tearing down the middle is about 10x worse.
I just downclocked it to 58hz and so far haven't seen any tearing yet.
Not quite sure what this means overall then?
Still haven't seen the tearing issue once now and running it at 55hz so it seems to be releated to running 60hz or higher from what I can tell.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, that's interesting... could this mean that there is an issue with the monitor and not drivers or whatever? (I wont be able to test it with another source for a while...)

I've tried to push mine to 65hz when I got it, but it completely freaked out (pink artifacts all over the place)

Soldato
Mine worked at 75 hz no problem but the screen tearing was happening every few seconds. iv took it down to 59hz now and haven't seen it happen once yet so in my opinion its definitely related to this. Anything above 60 basically and it happens more frequently.. At 75 it happened every few seconds while scrolling up and down on the overclockers forum webpage. Took it down to 59 and haven't seen it happen once yet in games or on the internet.

Soldato
Hows it going at 59hz then?
Just got my new display port cable today so will test it with that for a while aswell. If I notice the issue at all then I think im just going to get a refund and wait for the AOC.

Associate
So far so good, but I didn't had a chance to test extensively yet... I'll report back later I guess.

Any idea on how to access the factory menu? It seems possible on other LG monitors, but it's a combination of buttons and since this one has only one...

Associate
Has anyone bought one of the 34UM95s recently from OcUK, if so, please could you confirm the batch and/or manufacturing date and whether you have backlight bleed issues?

Associate
Has anyone bought one of the 34UM95s recently from OcUK, if so, please could you confirm the batch and/or manufacturing date and whether you have backlight bleed issues?

FWIW i bought one of the second batches OC got and have not had any significant backlight issues. The bottom left corner exhibits a very slight glow but under normal conditions I just don't notice it. In fact the monitor I have is revision 00! Maybe I got lucky but I think they all will suffer some degree of bleed.

Awesome monitor btw.

Soldato
Omar they all have bleed in one way or another. Some much worse.. some hardly noticible.

Im more bothered about the screen tearing in the center when you scroll down on webpages and in games to be honest.
I have the option to return this and get a refund as its my 4th monitor but the rest are taking so long to be available theres nothing else to get at the moment and id be without a monitor.

Associate
Matson, did you get swaps from OcUK or LG? I raised an RMA request as I've got backlight bleed, stuck pixels, popping noises and some minor screen tearing. I thought I could live with it, but decided that I shouldn't really have to for an £800 monitor.

However because I purchased it back in May (delivered in June from the second OcUK batch), I've been told it's outside the 28 day DOA period and I must deal directly with LG. I really should have just logged something with OcUK right at the start.

Soldato
All mine were with OCUK. I was surprised they offered to refund my 4th one as iv had it a while now but I guess because iv already sent 3 back with bleed issues there willing to just refund me and be done with these monitors as its been an annoying experience lol.
I have hopes that the AOC and other 34 ultrawide screen don't have these issues but I believe there all using the same panel so my hopes aren't very high.

Soldato
So far so good, but I didn't had a chance to test extensively yet... I'll report back later I guess.

Any idea on how to access the factory menu? It seems possible on other LG monitors, but it's a combination of buttons and since this one has only one...

Any update?
I can safely say that knocking it down to 59hz iv yet to see any center tearing in gaming anymore so yes its related to refresh rate. It shouldn't tear at 60 but for some reason it does.

Associate
Not yet, pretty busy week...
I'll have all my time this week-end though, so I should be able to come to a conclusion before Monday.
But even if it's a positive, I'm still wondering if it's driver/amd related (and potentially fixable). I have nothing else that is capable of pushing 60hz @native resolution, so I won't be able to answer that on my own...

Back
Top Bottom