Marvel Cinematic Universe - Phase 3

Caporegime
OP
I think it was the weakest of the phase one films. Start was ok but it got progressively more average. When you consider that origin stories are generally the most interesting I'm just not sure a 'Hulk' film would be strong enough on it's own.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
They should give hulk another go, the last one wasn't too bad.

+1

That last one redeemed itself and frankly was a hit imo. Unfortunately Edward Norton fell out with Marvel so the likely sequel didn't happen

There was fall out over the Hulk movie original final cut (20 min+ Edited out) to meet the grade they wanted and then again over at the start of the Avengers

Ed's agent issued this statement at the time

“This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast. Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings.
We know a lot of fans have voiced their public disappointment with this result, but this is no excuse for Feige’s mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his. Feige’s statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel’s fans."

It was a shame he was fantastic Bruce banner :( I felt It was a mistake as he breathed new life into the character particularly after so many reboots but perhaps he was too vocal towards the bosses as well as financial disagreements that contributed towards this

Last edited:
Soldato
+1

That last one redeemed itself and frankly was a hit imo. Unfortunately Edward Norton fell out with Marvel so the likely sequel didn't happen

There was fall out over the Hulk movie original final cut (20 min+ Edited out) to meet the grade they wanted and then again over at the start of the Avengers

Ed's agent issued this statement at the time

“This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast. Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings.
We know a lot of fans have voiced their public disappointment with this result, but this is no excuse for Feige’s mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his. Feige’s statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel’s fans."

It was a shame he was fantastic Bruce banner :( I felt It was a mistake as he breathed new life into the character particularly after so many reboots but perhaps he was too vocal towards the bosses as well as financial disagreements that contributed towards this

Yea that last one wasn't too bad, not as good as recent marvel studio films which have set the bar quite high but better than the first.

Norton was ok and I remember I was annoyed when they announced they had changed him but I like the new guy too, seems to fit the character better. I grew up watching hulk cartoons, and Norton, whilst a brilliant actor, perhaps had a bit to much of his own personality to fit the role of a genius scientist bruce banner personality.

A potential future movie has plenty of awesome material to choose from if they do decide to do another, and they could always include a stronger supporting cast too if they feel hulk alone isn't enough.

Soldato
untitled-2xyceq.gif

Soldato
Y
Norton was ok and I remember I was annoyed when they announced they had changed him but I like the new guy too, seems to fit the character better. I grew up watching hulk cartoons, and Norton, whilst a brilliant actor, perhaps had a bit to much of his own personality to fit the role of a genius scientist bruce banner personality.

I agree with you there. Norton doesn't seem to fit that well.

I seem to remember there was also a lot of friction on the set reported, because Norton kept insisting on rewriting his own lines and changing the story as soon as he got involved.

Am I the only person who quite likes the (Don't Make Me) Ang Lee version? It just seems like a more personal, thoughtful, character driven Hulk origin story. There are some great action scenes, and I love the way you get into the head of Banner/Hulk. Evil scientists and soldiers chasing him down, the fractured relationship between Betty and her father, Bruce's power crazed Dad showing up, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
And people complain that Hollywood have run out of ideas and just make remakes and sequels!

They have. What they are doing is mining the 60-odd years of stories and characters that have proven themselves over the test of time.

I think that's why the movies are successful, especially the ones controlled by Marvel themselves. They know the IP, they understand how to get these characters and stories to the big screen.

Now that DC have seen how Marvel does it, I think we'll see them come up with similar quality movies. They lucked out with Nolan/Bale's Batman, and I did like Snyder's Superman (though many didn't), so I think there is an improving trend there. They must be (and should be) kicking themselves for letting Joss Whedon try (and fail) to get a Wonder Woman movie off the ground with them, before he went off and did Avengers for Marvel.

I think ultimately that most of DC's comic characters are weaker. They will have to make them more interesting for the movies, but that won't be a bad thing.

Soldato
If they can capture even a small portion of the Civil War comic arc, it will be amazeballs!

This sounds silly but the Civil War arc needs to be the whole thing, if they don't do it it'll be a huge missed opportunity.

Civil War was a beautiful story

They should give hulk another go, the last one wasn't too bad.

Although no individual film, The Hulk will have a major part to play in the ongoing story.

He'll be shipped off Earth and eventually meet the Guardians of the Galaxy, bringing them back to Earth (or wherever it might be) to meet the Avengers and Team up in the Infinity War against Thanos.

*I Reckon

Associate
Although no individual film, The Hulk will have a major part to play in the ongoing story.

He'll be shipped off Earth and eventually meet the Guardians of the Galaxy, bringing them back to Earth (or wherever it might be) to meet the Avengers and Team up in the Infinity War against Thanos.

*I Reckon

Planet Hulk would be a nice way to line that up.

Back
Top Bottom