Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
e.g. to upgrade bios or ilo or other firmware, is an advanced license needed to do this from a machine connected on LAN?

seems a license is ~60 quid which isn't tiny when the microserver costs ~150

Associate
You can upgrade the BIOS from Windows if you have it installed. I'm not sure if you can boot from a remote iso on the basic license?

Have a search around on auction sites, you should be able to find it significantly cheaper than that.

Soldato
Hi all

Just looking for some advice on a possible change. I currently have my N54L setup with Server 2012 running Hyper V and a couple of VM's (Plex Server, Owncloud)

I am thinking of maybe losing my stand alone HTPC and intergrating it with the N54L. I have a graphics card already installed in the server some output should not be an issue. I was thinking of maybe installing Windows 8 and then running Hyper V from within that to run any VM's i might have.

Im thinking it would be easier have a windows base OS for the media side of things as trying to virtualize it is going to give me issues with gpu pass through and tv tuners etc.

What do you think?

Associate
How are people finding the Xeon upgrades in this system? Particularly interested if anyone's running nested ESXi on it.

CPU Upgrades options seems to be:

Xeon E3-1220L ~£120
Xeon E3-1260L ~£150
Xeon E3-1265Lv3 ~£200

the 1260 looks to be a decent buy, wondering if anyone else has took the plunge.

Last edited:
Associate
On my gen8 I can't seem to access iLO using NIC1, only when specifically plugging the ethernet into the dedicated iLO port. How do I change it so I can use network/iLO both through NIC1?

Also, I've plugged a SATA HDD into bay three but it doesn't get recognised. Drive is definitely working as tested in USB caddy on my laptop. SSD in bay one works fine. Do I need to "register" it somewhere in the BIOS or iLO?

Thanks!

Think there's a guy on 'an' a/v forum that started a gen8 thread and set up esxi no probs.
Is that in reply to me?

I've got ESXi running on mine using the HP customised ESXi image (available on both VMware and HP's sites).

Associate
But after spending the last 2 weeks with it, I'll never go back to either of those from my current solution: Plex on the N54L, a Chromecast into the TV, and a phone/tablet as the remote and to choose what to play next. It's neat, it's simple and it really works very, very well. I find it to be far less fiddly and would recommend it to anyone over a HTPC now. I'm a total convert.

Absolutely agree - Plex is awesome. Even though I use it on a combination of tablet, Chromecast and a Pi/Rasplex, I love it!

On my gen8 I can't seem to access iLO using NIC1, only when specifically plugging the ethernet into the dedicated iLO port. How do I change it so I can use network/iLO both through NIC1?

I simply left iLO and Nic1 plugged into my network. I've assigned iLO and Ubuntu Sever different fixed IP addresses and assumed it's meant to be that way. Will be interesting to know otherwise.

Associate

If you want to use the shared port rather than the dedicated iLO port, as the machine boots press F8 to get into the iLO configuration. In the settings (I forgot where!) you can change it between shared, dedicated and none.

Edit:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/441442/Hp-Proliant-Dl320e.html?page=51

That tells you how to enable the dedicated port, just use the shared option :)

Associate
Also, I've plugged a SATA HDD into bay three but it doesn't get recognised. Drive is definitely working as tested in USB caddy on my laptop. SSD in bay one works fine. Do I need to "register" it somewhere in the BIOS or iLO?

It should just work. The only thing that springs to mind is that port 3&4 are SATAII rather than SATAIII. What hard disk is it, does it have jumpers to enable SATAII mode?

Associate
It should just work. The only thing that springs to mind is that port 3&4 are SATAII rather than SATAIII. What hard disk is it, does it have jumpers to enable SATAII mode?
Sorry, only just seen this as we must have posted at the same time.

It's a 500GB Western Digital drive from a My Book I disassembled. WD5000KS is the model number. I'll check the jumpers now and have a look online for the tech specs.

Associate
I've got it working now thank you. I think it wasn't seeing it because the other drives I had were put into an array automatically by the Intelligent Provisioning when I installed ESXi using the HP modified ISO. I hadn't realised this until I started poking around in the Smart Array boot option. I've never had a server before buying this so it's all new to me :)

Back
Top Bottom