The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Caporegime
how many left? Has i will be buying one within 5 - 10 days.. if they are running out do you have more on order?

Possibly not tbh, these are going QUICK!! Doesn't help that OcUK seem to be the only one with decent stock in the UK :cool:

So so happy with mine, an awesome screen for the money! :D

Stock still seems to be very tight generally. I'm guessing Phillips are selling all they can make!! Not surprising really, these are great value compared to others.

Soldato
It's odd, in pictures this thing doesn't look that big, but when I look at the dimensions and see how much space it would take up on my desk, it's MAHOOOSIVE! Strange.

Soldato
im the same...it looks not that big in pictures but I know it will be huge on my desk probably too huge. The 34 ultrawide I had was pretty huge itself.

Soldato
LOL, a SINGLE manufacturer making a SINGLE 40" monitor does not = "standard", sorry. ;) I doubt we'll see many more this size either until 4K matures.

Soldato
it will never be the standard. Its just too big a size for most peoples desks. I think 32/34 is the sweet spot personally. Then again most people I know have 24 inch monitors. I think it will be mostly an unique size and definatly not the norm. It wasn't that long ago that 40 inches considered a large size for a TV lol.

Associate
Woah Chaps it was meant to be tongue in cheek. Most people will only ever have 24 - 27 inch monitors due to desk in the first place. For me 40 inch is "MY" new standard.

I would say for the majority of you - not sure why you are even looking at a monitor this size.

Soldato
lol yeah while I would love a 40 inch my desk only just fit my 34 inch on so Id have to buy a new desk aswell.
I definatly couldn't go smaller than 34 since I had that. Im sure I would say the same if I got a 40 inch though too.

Associate
The main reason I bought this monitor was to play racing sims (Assetto Corsa, PCars). Until Oculus Rift comes along anyway :).

I just did my first AC online club race with this monitor and I thought the performance was excellent.

Ideally you want to use a realistic as possible field of view so having a large screen helps a lot.

Also the onscreen apps don't take up as much space at 4k.

Even at 4k res with 8xAA and 20 odd cars, it was a solid, smooth experience.

Great monitor for sim racing !

Soldato
That's the game I play the most too I love it and it was amazing with an Ultrawide 34 inch screen. I can imagine it will be even more immersive with this screen. For a racing side like that the idea size is pretty much when it looks like your looking through a real windscreen so I can see how this 40 inch 4k monitor would be perfect for that if your not using a triple monitor setup. Could you take a picture showing the inside camera just so I can what its like on this size at 4k? would apprechiate it :)

Associate
The monitor is close behind my steering wheel, 32" from my eyes so a realistic FOV would be 35 degrees in AC. I've got it set to 40. Here's a minute of the race:-

http://youtu.be/sveXPkewIsA

So from where I'm sitting, the dash would look close to realistic size and just above my steering wheel. With it being 4K, there's no chance of seeing any pixels, it's super sharp.

I was getting around 100 FPS in game with a single graphics card (8xAA, but post processing off).

Last edited:
Associate
That's the game I play the most too I love it and it was amazing with an Ultrawide 34 inch screen. I can imagine it will be even more immersive with this screen. For a racing side like that the idea size is pretty much when it looks like your looking through a real windscreen so I can see how this 40 inch 4k monitor would be perfect for that if your not using a triple monitor setup. Could you take a picture showing the inside camera just so I can what its like on this size at 4k? would apprechiate it :)

I play AC a lot too... usually on my 84" curved screen which takes about 10 mins to setup and swap over to the PJ for it...., but I've just ordered one of these to see if I can use it for casual practice, knocking off a few laps when I get chance etc.... and still retain part of the immersion..

I have put together a FOV comparison Vid - hit the pause to see what it would look like at 29" from your eyeballs (that's the back of my wheel base, so as far forward as I could get a 40" monitor I reckon)

I have tried 3 different 34" panels so far and am just not happy with them (BLB/ IPS glow). I have a 28" 4k Sammy 590D currently and it's not big enough for me to feel immersed when racing so am looking forward to Tuesday when I getme 40"er

Last edited:
Associate
I have tried 3 different 34" panels so far and am just not happy with them (BLB/ IPS glow). I have a 28" 4k Sammy 590D currently and it's not big enough for me to feel immersed when racing so am looking forward to Tuesday when I getme 40"er

I was planning on getting one of the 34" ultrawides before this Philips came on the market and I'm glad I waited.

(Your online FOV calculator is really useful ;)).

Associate
I was planning on getting one of the 34" ultrawides before this Philips came on the market and I'm glad I waited.

(Your online FOV calculator is really useful ;)).

I tried the LG 34" '65, too much had BLB and glow really bad... and res was too low coming from a 27" BenQ WQHD screem.

then recently, the LG 34" curved... bad IPS Glow in Left hand corner, otherwise it was a great screen, but I play Elite... and glow is a no-can-do in deep space, noo good for racing though

Then the Dell 34" curved... was the worst I have seen... BLB all along the top and the bottom left third... and glow on 3 corners covering 5/8 of the screen in Elite... had to go back...

The Sammy 4k VA panel I have is great, but the pixels are too small... giving me eye strain/headaches... am hoping the 40" Philips will hit the sweet spot... maybe have to get a ergotron desk mount and a 200-2-100 vesa adapter to get it sitting low enough on my desk though

Also tried a 4K 55" curved Samsung 7200 UHD TV.. it was just too big for a day to day desktop and the motion blur/input lag is awful

(thanks)

Last edited:
Associate
I have noticed a little issue (dont know if it is actually one). When I was cleaning the screen gently with a microfibre cloth, I recognized, the panel kind of moves in and out a little bit, maybe a mm or less. It is like a bit loose from frame, but not everywhere, mainly at the bottom. Has anybody else noticed something like this? Is this someting to worry about?

Thanks

Soldato
I tried the LG 34" '65, too much had BLB and glow really bad... and res was too low coming from a 27" BenQ WQHD screem.

then recently, the LG 34" curved... bad IPS Glow in Left hand corner, otherwise it was a great screen, but I play Elite... and glow is a no-can-do in deep space, noo good for racing though

Then the Dell 34" curved... was the worst I have seen... BLB all along the top and the bottom left third... and glow on 3 corners covering 5/8 of the screen in Elite... had to go back...

The Sammy 4k VA panel I have is great, but the pixels are too small... giving me eye strain/headaches... am hoping the 40" Philips will hit the sweet spot... maybe have to get a ergotron desk mount and a 200-2-100 vesa adapter to get it sitting low enough on my desk though

Also tried a 4K 55" curved Samsung 7200 UHD TV.. it was just too big for a day to day desktop and the motion blur/input lag is awful

(thanks)

Which 4K Samsung VA model is that? They don't have any '4K' VA monitors (yet). :confused:

Back
Top Bottom