** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
If Asus can charge £600 and it sells...
You are charging £600, not Asus. If you could had this on "this week only" at ~£580 and competition had this at £539 for one day, there is lot to go down.
You are the salesman, pretty good one probably, but I really think, well hope;), I can get Asus Rog Swift at £500 soon, as new, more advanced screens hit the market.

Associate
I'm really excited for this. Might need to go down to the shop and see one before purchasing though. I currently have a Pb278qr at work and need to see if this can keep up. Any news on this been 8-bit or not?

Soldato
The $1m question for me:

Is it worth waiting to see which technology out of GSync and Freesync wins before taking the plunge into a screen that has support?

I wouldn't want to buy this only for GSync to win out and vice versa, plus I don't want to support this kind of ridiculous childplay between the two companies either.

I think ultimately you'll be stuck with one or the other, I don't see them shaking hands and going with one solution anytime soon unfortunately. For what it's worth, G-Sync's been out a year and works superbly, I couldn't be happier with it.

Soldato
I think ultimately you'll be stuck with one or the other, I don't see them shaking hands and going with one solution anytime soon unfortunately. For what it's worth, G-Sync's been out a year and works superbly, I couldn't be happier with it.

Also remember Freesync is based on a Vesa standard, not a proprietry bit of tech or an addon, if the monitor supports that Vesa standard then it should be able to be certified for Freesync. Which means the range of monitors available should become broader in the future and somewhat cheaper than Gsync.

Also you can switch the freesync off if you use a non AMD card

Soldato
Yep, this is confirmed as having a 40-144Hz range (read a review last night). Now if Nvidia would just play ball with Freesync...
Pigs will fly before we would see that happen :p

Nvidia (and its loyal user-base) will continue to claim Gsync is superior and Freesync will cause ghosting.

In the end, it would be a toss between:

i) a better sync tech (according to Nvidia) at the cost of a) £150-£200 price premium b) stucked with Nvidia cards c) limited monitor range to choose from

vs

ii) a lesser sync tech (according to Nvidia) a) at the cost of stucked with AMD card with b) benefit of much wider range of monitors to choose from and not need to pay price premium for the sync tech.

Soldato
b) benefit of much wider range of monitors to choose from

sorry, I'm a bit lost here... there are 8 Gsync monitors on sale on OCUK, and 5 freesync monitors, how does that amount to a "much wider range" for freesync?

both have a few more announced which would bring it to roughly level numbers and similar types, so where is this raft of freesync monitors coming from or did I just miss an announcement?

Caporegime
To be fair 5 against 8 is good going considering the length of time GSYNC has been out.

It's inevitable we'll see more freesync capable monitors.

I'll only be switching back to AMD though once we see monitors with ranges below 40. There's plenty of games I play that have minimums that dip below that and GSYNC keeps it nice and smooth for the few seconds it does dip.

Soldato
He's talking about a future scenario, because inevitably more monitors will be able to do FreeSync than Gsync since the needed hardware for the former will be already there for most monitors. Remember, FreeSync is simply the software solution to take advantage of DP1.2a (which will be omni-present) while Gsync requires additional hardware to be installed in the monitor, which is also why it costs more.

Man of Honour
i'm not convinced we will suddenly see more FreeSync monitors than G-sync available. Yes, G-sync carries a price premium for manufacturers but at the end of the day display manufacturers need to produce screens for their audience. With there being more market share (as i understand it) in NIVIDA over AMD out there, it would be mad for display manufacturers to stop producing G-sync screens just because FreeSync is cheaper and easier. NVIDIA graphics users will still be out there and needing new screens.

this is all assuming NVIDIA don't suddenly accept the adpative Sync standard which i highly doubt

Soldato
FreeSync is simply the software solution to take advantage of DP1.2a (which will be omni-present)

adaptive sync is optional, it isn't suddenly going to get added to every new monitor that gets released as it is an additional cost

even AMD's own FAQ says that no, not every monitor will come with adaptive sync support

Associate
FWIW, as Gibbo has said this won't be replacing the Swift.

Many users are keen to have 1ms response time of TN panels which this IPS solution can't match, but equally we have many users who want the accuracy of IPS panels which the Swift can't match. The plan, therefore, is to provide products for both groups.

We will also have the 4K PG27AQ added to the line-up - all 3 should provide different options depending on your personal preferences.

Associate
FWIW, as Gibbo has said this won't be replacing the Swift.

Many users are keen to have 1ms response time of TN panels which this IPS solution can't match, but equally we have many users who want the accuracy of IPS panels which the Swift can't match. The plan, therefore, is to provide products for both groups.

We will also have the 4K PG27AQ added to the line-up - all 3 should provide different options depending on your personal preferences.

Is there no 1440p IPS G-sync monitor in Asus' product pipeline?

its either 1440p TN or 4K IPS from Asus? No middle ground.

Associate
I'd buy a 27" IPS type 144MHz G-Sync 1440p monitor from ASUS over Acer any day.

I'd especially love if ASUS made a 34" 3440x1440 IPS Type 144MHz G-Sync monitor.

Back
Top Bottom