** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
FWIW, as Gibbo has said this won't be replacing the Swift.

Many users are keen to have 1ms response time of TN panels which this IPS solution can't match, but equally we have many users who want the accuracy of IPS panels which the Swift can't match. The plan, therefore, is to provide products for both groups.

We will also have the 4K PG27AQ added to the line-up - all 3 should provide different options depending on your personal preferences.

Any chance we will see 1440p IPS 144Hz with 3d vision 2 support soon?

Soldato
i'm not convinced we will suddenly see more FreeSync monitors than G-sync available. Yes, G-sync carries a price premium for manufacturers but at the end of the day display manufacturers need to produce screens for their audience. With there being more market share (as i understand it) in NIVIDA over AMD out there, it would be mad for display manufacturers to stop producing G-sync screens just because FreeSync is cheaper and easier. NVIDIA graphics users will still be out there and needing new screens.

this is all assuming NVIDIA don't suddenly accept the adpative Sync standard which i highly doubt

The thing is, with Freesync nothing additional needs to be added. A G-Sync monitor is a gaming monitor, which requires an additional piece of hardware. With Freesync, it can be a standard monitor that also so happens to support the adaptive sync standard.

The flip side to this is that the performance of the monitors could vary greatly; most importantly the frequency at which Freesync will function. We've also seen ghosting issues reported with the early monitors that support Freesync.

Soldato
Jim, You know you will be releasing one at some point, purely because releasing one is leaving that market with no offering from yourselves, and as such giving sales to other companies.

So, its more a question of when. I imagine it would be shortly after this monitor has been released/the initial sales have started to fall off. Since in theory it will be the same screen just with the G-Sync module and a mark up added :)

I actually thought I was already waiting for the Asus 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor, and have money ready to spend, since I don't want the acer. Only today have I realised that you are not offering the product I somehow thought you were :(

Associate
I actually thought I was already waiting for the Asus 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor, and have money ready to spend, since I don't want the acer. Only today have I realised that you are not offering the product I somehow thought you were :(

It is a bit confusing, I confess - mainly because the market is moving so quickly at the moment!

Current announced range (in terms of ROG only, there are plenty more non-ROG ASUS monitors) is:

1) Swift, i.e. 1440p TN G-Sync (as you all know)
2) Dominator, i.e. 1440p IPS FreeSync (as mentioned in this thread)
3) PG27AQ, i.e. 4K IPS G-Sync (on the way)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
It is a bit confusing, I confess - mainly because the market is moving so quickly at the moment!

Current announced range (in terms of ROG only, there are plenty more non-ROG ASUS monitors) is:

Thanks for clarifying as even I was confused if this monitor was an ROG panel, so glad I pretty much got it right, the fact its called Dominator pretty much suggested to me it was an ROG panel. :)

Soldato
I will just have to wait a bit longer, Been waiting about 6 years for IPS at 120+hz, so another few months or whatever isn't a problem. Doesn't need top be ROG though, will just keep an eye on your website until what I want comes out.

Soldato

I don't think anybody will care what branding the screen comes under as long as the quality is right, but I found this from somebody else at Asus,

http://rog.asus.com/393632015/gaming-monitors/ces-2015-mg279q-27-inch-wqhd-ips-at-120hz/
Quick FAQ:
What is the new ASUS ‘MG’ branding in relation to existing ASUS VG and PG monitors?

ASUS LCD branding for gaming monitors from 2015:

PG = premium gaming (ROG)
MG = mainstream-performance gaming
VG = value gaming

Can you say who makes the panel for this monitor?

Associate
Hey guys

Couple of questions

Is there any chance this monitor will be availible @ OCUK before the expected eta? Like the new Benq 144hz Tn panel was

And any word on the TFT review for the Asus screen?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think anybody will care what branding the screen comes under as long as the quality is right, but I found this from somebody else at Asus,

Can you say who makes the panel for this monitor?

Yes that's correct - my understanding is that this is being labelled Mainstream on the basis that pro gamers etc will want TN for the speed, rather than anything else.

Unfortunately I don't have the panel info available yet.

Caporegime
@Jim

Not sure if you are aware of this but:

guys, i'm currently talking to BenQ about the situation but to avoid any confusion here, this is the issue as it stands:

If you connect the XL2730Z to a FreeSync system then the AMA function (overdrive circuit) is disabled. It doesnt matter whether you have FreeSync ticked or not in the graphics card settings, it is still turned off. If you "break" the end to end freeSync system by doing something like switching to DVI instead of DisplayPort, or using a non-FreeSync supporting drive, AMA behaves as it should. obviously if you use the screen from an NVIDIA /Intel card or a non-FreeSync card then it behaves as it should.

AMA High is much faster than AMA off, as with it off there is a lot more blurring (hence the reported blurring problems of FreeSync). So at the moment connecting the screen to a FreeSync system is not great, as although you get the benefits of dynamic refresh rate, you have much worse response times and more possible blurring.

This is apparently an issue affecting all FreeSync screens and will require both an AMD driver fix (being worked on i'm told) and a firmware update for the FreeSync screen. i'm pending info from benQ about what is needed for the XL2730Z and how that will work.

Could you make sure that this issue is fixed on ASUS's end before release?

Associate
@Jim

Not sure if you are aware of this but:

Could you make sure that this issue is fixed on ASUS's end before release?

Hi Nexus - I have seen some discussion about this, yes. I can't make sure it's fixed (as I don't work in engineering) but I will raise it and check that it's being looked at.

Caporegime
Cool, thanks! :)

I just raise the issue as usually, firmware updates for monitors can only be done by the manufacturer so if the screens were to ship with this issue then it would mean that the consumer will have to ship the monitor back, which as you can imagine is a bit of an annoyance and could potentially put a lot of people of the monitor.

Associate
Cool, thanks! :)

I just raise the issue as usually, firmware updates for monitors can only be done by the manufacturer so if the screens were to ship with this issue then it would mean that the consumer will have to ship the monitor back, which as you can imagine is a bit of an annoyance and could potentially put a lot of people of the monitor.

Just wanted to let you know, I've now had it confirmed that the ASUS MG279Q can enable both FreeSync and Overdrive (TraceFree) at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom