*** Show us your Dogs ***

Caporegime
Despite doing voluntary work at an animal shelter I wouldn't adopt/loan an animal personally because of the rules they impose as you say, it may be well intentioned, but sometimes what they want can cause more harm than good, and I want full ownership of the animal.

Caporegime
Yeah they spook like horses do, it's like everything is new to them. The rescue centre sounds like its a good one. I was looking for another staffy and thought I'd give some rescues a chance, but there's so many rules and they wanted my dog to be neutered before letting another dog come stay here. I'm still undecided what to do.

It's not exactly a bad rule (neutered) and you must be able to see why rules like this are in place?

Soldato
We lost our 10 year-old Staffie named Justice to cancer on Wednesday :( She'd been suffering with strange random episodes for the last 12 months or so, where her back legs would just give way and she'd just flake out for 24hrs, then she'd be absolutely fine again for sometimes months on end.

The vets couldn't find anything obviously wrong but her abdomen started getting bigger and bigger and she was clearly in pain when we touched it, so she had a scan on Tuesday and they found a large growth on her spleen.

She went in to have the spleen removed on Wednesday morning but we received a phone call 15 minutes later to say they'd found tumas on her gut and liver as well, and they'd only just started looking so chances are there were more. They could have removed the spleen and part of the gut but chances were she'd never fully recover from the op. As much as it pained us to do so, we took the decision to have her put down :(

Absolutely gutted doesn't even begin to cover it but we do have our other Staffie, Bully to keep us occupied. We were planning on taking both the dogs up to Snowdonia with us at the end of May for my grandad's 80th birthday, so we've decided to get Justice cremated and take the urn up with us so she can still be there :)

RIP Jussy Wuzzle - You'll be sorely missed; you were a trooper and gave us many years of smiles and laughter. Walks in the forest won't be the same without your constant running 20 metres away and then coming back to make sure we're ok.

17257598985_431b67d434_b.jpg

Soldato
It's not exactly a bad rule (neutered) and you must be able to see why rules like this are in place?

My point is that I have a male that's well behaved and I wanted another male, and because I'm a responsible owner there's no risk. So they have now lost an adoptee. And I wonder how many prospective owners have also been put off. If I had a female at home and wanted a male I can fully understand their policy.

Caporegime
RIP Justice.

I remember losing my staffie, Buster. My parents got him when I was 4 and I lost him when I was 20. Sixteen years of growing up with me. I've never cried so hard.

Not had a dog since. Really thinking about it hard now. Wuld love a lab.

Soldato
We lost our 10 year-old Staffie named Justice to cancer on Wednesday :( She'd been suffering with strange random episodes for the last 12 months or so, where her back legs would just give way and she'd just flake out for 24hrs, then she'd be absolutely fine again for sometimes months on end.

The vets couldn't find anything obviously wrong but her abdomen started getting bigger and bigger and she was clearly in pain when we touched it, so she had a scan on Tuesday and they found a large growth on her spleen.

She went in to have the spleen removed on Wednesday morning but we received a phone call 15 minutes later to say they'd found tumas on her gut and liver as well, and they'd only just started looking so chances are there were more. They could have removed the spleen and part of the gut but chances were she'd never fully recover from the op. As much as it pained us to do so, we took the decision to have her put down :(

Absolutely gutted doesn't even begin to cover it but we do have our other Staffie, Bully to keep us occupied. We were planning on taking both the dogs up to Snowdonia with us at the end of May for my grandad's 80th birthday, so we've decided to get Justice cremated and take the urn up with us so she can still be there :)

RIP Jussy Wuzzle - You'll be sorely missed; you were a trooper and gave us many years of smiles and laughter. Walks in the forest won't be the same without your constant running 20 metres away and then coming back to make sure we're ok.

So sorry to hear. Loosing a pet is like loosing a member of the family, it's really hard to come to terms with. You have my condolences.

Caporegime
Is it normal to continue having dreams about a dead pet years later?

Perhaps it was the charm of feeling a heartbeat slow to a cruel stop, I honestly cant have pets any more after that.

|:

Caporegime
Is it normal to continue having dreams about a dead pet years later?

Perhaps it was the charm of feeling a heartbeat slow to a cruel stop, I honestly cant have pets any more after that.

|:

I dreamt of our old Yorkie some ten years after she passed away....it was so dn believable I convinced myself (in my dream) shed just been away for a while....it was so freak in weird but awesome at the same time.

Caporegime
My point is that I have a male that's well behaved and I wanted another male, and because I'm a responsible owner there's no risk. So they have now lost an adoptee. And I wonder how many prospective owners have also been put off. If I had a female at home and wanted a male I can fully understand their policy.

Understandable, problem is they need to take precautions as a lot of owners really have no idea...a lot of rehome shelters or fosterers often let you go to others houses to meet the dog in question and take your dog there also, might be an option.

And RIP Justice x

Caporegime
I'm thinking about getting a dog, though it won't be for a little while yet. Understandably, it's not something I will take on without a great deal of consideration. The other alternative is a rock iguana, but that's for another thread. If I do eventually welcome a pooch into my house and home, then it will most likely be a pug.

Soldato
From left to right my collection of dogs,

2mrwqic.jpg

Far left, Fernie 13 yo Lab, Sasha 12 yo Husky, 3 yo Marlow Staff, Jasper 4 yo Springer, Dyson 11 yo Lab

29wrbb5.jpg

sorry about the poor quality for this one but its the husky in its natural habitat and state. The snowy hunt, featuring derping staff.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a little less clear on why your other dog should be neutered, the only reason I can think is to ease their transition into a new home (less aggression from neutered males etc). The reason all dogs from shelters are neutered is primarily because they are in massive overdemand and they're trying to do what they can to prevent even more dogs needing rehoming.

It actually made my dog's transition a bit harder imo, he's suffered quite a bit with aggression from other dogs as a result of being neutered, and is a bit nervous around other dogs anyway, a couple of years in and he's made good progress, still not gone completely.

I still don't disagree with it at all though.

Back
Top Bottom