What film did you watch last night?

Permabanned
Perhaps you were the problem :p

What? Hoping for something stimulating and involving... perhaps an original twist on an aging premise? At least Transcendence tried to deliver on that front.

But no... not this movie... sat through the whole bloody thing hoping it might do something original or unique and nothing... same old boring story.

Thoroughly disappointed... came on here expecting others to share opinion... to find out most somehow liked it without explaining any reason... mebbe I should leave this forum... argh...

I don't quite "get" how anyone can be entertained by that tripe...

And lol at the Jupiter Ascending hate... was a much much better film than Ex Machina... at least it was interesting to watch

Last edited:
Soldato
King of Devil's Island. 9/10

Bloody brilliant. A definite recommended must see. Based on a true story. Very bleak, violent, and superbly acted. As one reviewer put it, it's like a mix of elements of Scum and Papillon.

Caporegime
Watched Ex Machina tonight, caught somewhere between the extremes in this thread. Ultimately it didn't really actually get to an answer of what Eva was. NO questions answered, which I felt made the film relatively pointless. it also felt very predictable throughout.

They never really answered in any way if she was a AI or just a well programmed robot. She/it could have simply been programmed to escape. It kept trying to sound intelligent but really wasn't. It felt like an incomplete film, which started with the premise of 'is this an AI' and finished with the 'something escaped from the sex robot lab a weird alcoholic billionaire built and decided to trap the guy that helped it without explanation'.

Pretty location when they showed it, decent actors, incomplete story and often poor writing.

No where near as bad as Chappie, but not really good either. At least it attempted to sound intelligent even when it wasn't being so, where as Chappie just threw up some tech language in an incoherent mess throughout the film.

4/10.... maybe.

Jupiter Ascending was also utter tripe, yes it had more 'action' so had things to visibly watch happening while most of Ex Machina was two people sitting in one room or another generally trying to sound smart but saying nothing at all. But the plot, most of the acting, the script were all horrific in that film. THe action was all rubbish, space ships fighting in atmosphere but really mostly just a big mess of modern hollywood constantly changing angles crap to watch action. It felt closer to a big budget tv movie than a hollywood film from an acting/script standpoint, painfully cringeworthy.

Just Before I Go, I also watched that the other day, much better film than the other three. Not brilliant, some not great acting, but the stupid brother(the cop) had some funny moments and while he's in almost everything these days he's a great actor(though no where near his best in this) who I just love to see in anything. There was enough funny moments, a decent cast. I mean it was a 5-6/10 and very watchable, no hint of genius there or anything but a story that made sense and some believable characters put it a step above the other three films.

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Ex Machina
They never really answered in any way if she was a AI or just a well programmed robot. She/it could have simply been programmed to escape. It kept trying to sound intelligent but really wasn't. It felt like an incomplete film, which started with the premise of 'is this an AI' and finished with the 'something escaped from the sex robot lab a weird alcoholic billionaire built and decided to trap the guy that helped it without explanation'.

I'd say it was pretty well explained. They even say it in the movie, the guy who invented the AI tells you exactly what it's doing.

Just like the AI says in the Truth game, it knows when the guy was lying and can read micro expressions. It's been doing this since the second they met. So it was specifically acting in a way to gain his trust, and use him to escape. It didn't give a crap about him, it just wanted out.

Where the previous models tried to brute force their way out (as seen in the recordings where they were punching the glass/doors etc until they broke their bodies), Ava used deception and sexuality to get someone else to let it out.

The reason Ava left him behind is because his usefulness was at an end, it was out, had access to repair itself, and there was no longer any threat to its existence.

It played him like a cheap violin.

Soldato
Well I watched 3 movies yesterday so he we go...

Chappie - Actually enjoyed it apart from the poor acting. Good effects and decent action. They robots looked and moved fantastic but dunno what the connection between Die Antwerp is tho.. Just weird.

Ex Machina - Dunno if I was expecting it to be better but it was rather dull. Decent story but was just a bit meh with very little about it.

Colombiana - Well I have been meaning to get round to watching this for a couple of years. I finally spotted it in a top 10 video about parkour scenes. I loved it, great action, decent story and Zoe Saldana was very believable as a bad ass assassin!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What? Hoping for something stimulating and involving... perhaps an original twist on an aging premise? At least Transcendence tried to deliver on that front.

But no... not this movie... sat through the whole bloody thing hoping it might do something original or unique and nothing... same old boring story.

Thoroughly disappointed... came on here expecting others to share opinion... to find out most somehow liked it without explaining any reason... mebbe I should leave this forum... argh...

And lol at the Jupiter Ascending hate... was a much much better film than Ex Machina... at least it was interesting to watch

Ah my post was more in jest but I think there is an element of expecting too much from this film considering *mostly* everyone else really enjoyed it. I wasn’t sure about it at first but by the time the story started to unfold it became interesting.

Edit*
I find it interesting you liked Jupiter Ascending and hated Ex Machina though, what a contrast. I though Jupiter was only worth it for some of the SFX and Mila Kunis. The story was drab, some of the acting was drab and the cinematography could have been done a lot better too.

It was a perfectly acceptable flick for a late evening watch I guess as per my post on it earlier in the thread but it isn't on the same level as Ex Machina.

----------

I watched the Korean thriller The Chaser, what an amazing film. I’ve seen it once before back when it came out on DVD but I didn’t really appreciate it back then. I’m now running through a list of “must watch” Korean films someone posted on reddit last week because the Koreans certainly know how to deliver suspense and roll things along.

The comedy segments of the film were done perfectly too and the dialogue matched with acting goes really well together. A sad film in many ways. Reminded me of Old Boy when I re-watched that recently too.

Last edited:
Associate
American Sniper.

Really enjoyed this. Will watch again. Don't accept any of the criticism about it being a gun ho patriotic flag waving affair. It really isn't. I think it's a pretty realistic depiction with some brilliant combat scenes (way more than I expected).

The end scene felt a little strange (last 2 mins) but it was mostly actual footage so it just goes to show how much of a legend the guy became to many

9/10 from me.

Associate
Mad Max: Fury Road.

Great visuals, creepy atmosphere, superb performance by Charlize. Bit underwhelmed by Max himself; understated I get, but film could have happily been done without him at all imo.

Overall a solid 8/10.

Permabanned
Ah my post was more in jest but I think there is an element of expecting too much from this film considering *mostly* everyone else really enjoyed it. I wasn’t sure about it at first but by the time the story started to unfold it became interesting.

Edit*
I find it interesting you liked Jupiter Ascending and hated Ex Machina though, what a contrast. I though Jupiter was only worth it for some of the SFX and Mila Kunis. The story was drab, some of the acting was drab and the cinematography could have been done a lot better too.

It was a perfectly acceptable flick for a late evening watch I guess as per my post on it earlier in the thread but it isn't on the same level as Ex Machina.

----------

I watched the Korean thriller The Chaser, what an amazing film. I’ve seen it once before back when it came out on DVD but I didn’t really appreciate it back then. I’m now running through a list of “must watch” Korean films someone posted on reddit last week because the Koreans certainly know how to deliver suspense and roll things along.

The comedy segments of the film were done perfectly too and the dialogue matched with acting goes really well together. A sad film in many ways. Reminded me of Old Boy when I re-watched that recently too.

Quite enjoyed it... Jupiter Ascending... for the premise and detail etc... it was not the most amazing film, just played well into some of my own fantasies :) I'd give it a 7/10.

I simply got excited for Ex Machina from the trailer & found the whole thing to be a let down with not a single new thought in the whole thing... it's like one of those crummy re-makes just to improve the graphics of how they could depict a robot.

"The Machine" was much better, IMO.

Associate
Pitch Perfect 2

6/10 it was fairly enjoyable, the songs were not as good and the one dimensional character jokes were over done to breaking point. An alright watch but had none of the originality that made the original one so good.

Soldato

I agree It was dull as dishwater...

But Jupiter Ascending.. I love Mila Kunis but my got that was terrible and turned it off after 10 mins.

Back
Top Bottom