Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
I agree but find that spending nearly a whole ten episodes on building up Stannis and his battle of Winterfell for it to last a few moments was very underwhelming.
The climax of the Stannis arc this season was the point where he lost everything at the beginning of this episode. After this, and particularly once we see the size of the Bolton force, the result of the battle had become such a foregone conclusion that they needn't have wasted any of their budget or the episode's runtime on showing it. I certainly wouldn't have bought any kind of Spartan-esque heroism from him and his forces with the situation they were put in (from a storytelling standpoint, this would've just been filler), so where's the interest in seeing something so one-sided?

The aftermath with Brienne, on the other hand, is something the audience is interesting in seeing. I think there's certainly a possibility she's not killed him, and taken him instead to Winterfell to exchange for Sansa. It's still more likely that he's dead but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't.

Soldato
I highly doubt Brienne will try exchanging Stannis for Sansa. She knows exactly what the Bolton's are capable of and it's not as though she has any backup for them not to just laugh in her face and kill them both.

Caporegime
The thing that is starting to grate is simply how long the show(and I presume the books) drags out the story. I'd much prefer to have seen a lot of the Lannister stuff wrapped up by series 3 or something, move on, have proper wars happen and finish, then new ones start and finish.

Ultimaterly Cersi is like the worst person in the freaking universe and with all the poisonings that have occurred, all the murders no one has attempted to kill her yet? Honestly the way the GoT universe works she would have been murdered 20 years earlier when someone decides to get revenge on her. You can kill her son when he's the king... but you can't kill the actual evil behind him who has done more bad for many years longer?

The fact that the undead are brewing up a **** storm of death for the entire area south of the wall and absolutely no one gives a crap. 100 guys on the wall who all know the undead are coming, many of whom have now seen giants, dire wolves and white walkers.... all would prefer to face that themselves and see the entire population of wildlings die and join the undead army. It's just, stupid, too many people making too many utterly stupid decisions. When someone says to you they'd prefer to have 100k wildlings south of the wall and not part of the undead army.... it doesn't take any amount of brain power to agree. Why the hell do what they did at the end... rather than not open the tunnel in the first place?

Feels an awful lot like lost... start with a good story, have no idea how it finishes drag it out till people lose interest then wrap it up badly at the end, hope not.

No Brandon story line for an entire series is ridiculous, not least considering all the filler material they've had.

The CGI during a lot of the Cersi scenes was abysmal.

Soldato
I highly doubt Brienne will try exchanging Stannis for Sansa. She knows exactly what the Bolton's are capable of and it's not as though she has any backup for them not to just laugh in her face and kill them both.

What other option does she have? It's her and Pod, she's hardly swimming in avenues to take to try and save her, a 6ft woman trying to sneak into Winterfell will look a bit suspect. She knows Sansa is in danger and doesn't have many other options.

Associate
A great episode but we have pretty much caught up to the end of the books and I believe Martin does not want them to go further than the books content.

For season 6 would people be happy if they introduced the missing stroylines from the books, similar to running in parallel like Feast for Crows and Dance of Dragans.

Therefore season 6 could be (attention book spoilers):

1. The Ironborn, the civil strife and Victarion raiding his way to Mereern.

2. Keven Lannister and the siege Riverun, possible bring back the blackfish

3. Lady Stone heart with possibly the Freys and maybe some Littlefinger

4. Young Griff and Connington storyline

5. Old town storyline, there was some mentioned at start of Feast for Crows and possibly Dark Star
They could probably squeeze ten episodes out of those storylines, maybe adding Brans storyline in too. Of course if Winds of Winter is released in time then happy days.

Soldato
What other option does she have? It's her and Pod, she's hardly swimming in avenues to take to try and save her, a 6ft woman trying to sneak into Winterfell will look a bit suspect. She knows Sansa is in danger and doesn't have many other options.

"Hi there, here's Stannis, mind if I take Sansa back with me?" "Sure, no problem mate" :p.

Seriously though, I don't think she's stupid enough to attempt that. Surely Stannis is as useful alive as he is dead at this point. Other than Ramsay having a bit of fun with him what other use would they have for him to justify trading Sansa?

Soldato
"Hi there, here's Stannis, mind if I take Sansa back with me?" "Sure, no problem mate" :p.

Seriously though, I don't think she's stupid enough to attempt that. Surely Stannis is as useful alive as he is dead at this point. Other than Ramsay having a bit of fun with him what other use would they have for him to justify trading Sansa?

Probably not a trade, but a way for her to get into Winterfell, and possibly save her. She could easily offer him up and get them both in. Before of course realising Sansa is no longer there any more. :D

Soldato
A great episode but we have pretty much caught up to the end of the books and I believe Martin does not want them to go further than the books content.

For season 6 would people be happy if they introduced the missing stroylines from the books, similar to running in parallel like Feast for Crows and Dance of Dragans.

Therefore season 6 could be (attention book spoilers):

1. The Ironborn, the civil strife and Victarion raiding his way to Mereern.

2. Keven Lannister and the siege Riverun, possible bring back the blackfish

3. Lady Stone heart with possibly the Freys and maybe some Littlefinger

4. Young Griff and Connington storyline

5. Old town storyline, there was some mentioned at start of Feast for Crows and possibly Dark Star
They could probably squeeze ten episodes out of those storylines, maybe adding Brans storyline in too. Of course if Winds of Winter is released in time then happy days.

While I'd love to see that, there's no way the producers can shoot that stuff and wrap up the show by the end of S7.

Caporegime
I for one pray jon snow is dead and won't be coming back
actor is crap as hell he has one facial expression no matter what worse than nicholas cage

Caporegime
Dunno if I liked this finale. It just seemed to be a "kill all the things!" style episode designed to only shock the fans rather than actual good story. Am I alone on that?

Nope, the whole series has been like that. Where in almost any other series the story would progress more each series and maybe give the viewer a bit of what they want. IE keep some of the preferred characters and kill off more of the guys everyone hates... this show is purposefully doing the opposite. ACtually again like lost, it's not progressing the story, just creating more angles, and it seems to purposefully let the bad guys win/live when the viewer wants to see them die and the next story progress.

It's the anti story telling that can grip the viewer... rather than feel like you've been told a story you feel like not enough happened but you keep watching because, in this case, you can't wait for Ramsey/Cersi/Bolton to die.

Caporegime

At this point don't forget that Sansa has refused her help. The candle in the window thing, she hasn't seen it. You can't take Stannis up to the gate and ask to exchange hostages when from her view point Sansa isn't a hostage and at this point was actively refusing her help.

If and only if she had see the candle would that even potentially be an option but even then it would be unlikely. She knows the Bolton's, she was with the Bolton's don't forget, they betrayed her and lied to Jamie about her being released. They got an offer thought it wasn't enough and threw her in an arena with a bear. She'll give her life trying to sneak or fight her way in but she isn't going to ask for an exchange. She knows they aren't trust worthy, walk up to the gate with him, they'd take them both and she knows it.

Soldato
While I'd love to see that, there's no way the producers can shoot that stuff and wrap up the show by the end of S7.

Yeah ultimately it's 10 hours of TV and they have to condense a lot of stuff down, hence characters being merged/omitted/events sped up or skipped - they know how the story goes, the destinations for major 'POV' characters are mostly the same but the route on the map they take is going to be slightly different. Knowing that The Winds Of Winter is apparently a long one, I wonder if they'll try and buy time for him to get A Dream of Spring finished by splitting the book into two series.

Underboss
Mind = Blown.

Big spoiler please don't read it until you have seen tonight episode.
So John is dead, Sansa is dead(?), Aryia is blind, Santis is dead, Reek is dead. Stormborne is captive by the Dothraki. And yet Cersei still lives.

Soldato
Mind = Blown.

Big spoiler please don't read it until you have seen tonight episode.
So John is dead, Sansa is dead(?), Aryia is blind, Santis is dead, Reek is dead. Stormborne is captive by the Dothraki. And yet Cersei still lives.

I'm pretty sure Sansa and Theon aren't dead. At least, the popular opinion is that they survived that implausible jump. John and Stannis might also have cheated death, but nobody is quite sure yet; with Stannis, we didn't actually see Brienne kill him. With Jon, there's a theory that Melissandre can save him (see Thoros of Myr saving Beric Dondarion). So potentially, a big, fat total of ZERO character deaths in this season finale (though I can't see all of them surviving, surely at least one actually died?...)

Last edited:
Soldato
Even if Kit knew he was in Season 6 he's not exactly going to come out and say it right after his character has been put to the sword. He's exactly where he is in the books now, so until TWOW comes out or we can fast forward a year either

a) he's dead which would be rather senseless from a story-telling point of view given next to Tyrion he gets the most chapters in the books (a bit like having Dany eaten by her dragon randomly after 5 seasons of being built up) and the main problem with Jon dying permanently in the books is that there's no one of any consequence to serve as the PoV for the Wall. Maybe GRRM is trolling and the White Walkers will just win and kill everyone.

b) Mel will do a Thoros/Beric on him since she's in the right place at just the right time and like Thoros's first successful resurrection it comes at a time when her faith wavers. Also dying absolves Jon of his oath which he pledged to serve til death.

Or for a plot twist:

c) The Night's King resurrects Jon Snow, who conquers Westeros and claims the Iron Throne as a White Walker to herald a new age of darkness.

Soldato
Or for a plot twist:

c) The Night's King resurrects Jon Snow, who conquers Westeros and claims the Iron Throne as a White Walker to herald a new age of darkness.

Then her marries Cersei?

I suppose they could decide the fate of the kingdoms in a Trial by Combat between Zombie Jon and Ser Robert Strong (the new Kingsguard) :D

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
Jon's not dead.

Stannis could be dead. Anything else will need a pretty weak explanation. Brienne reels off that revenge speech and then what, she pussies out of it? Nah I doubt it.

Sansa and Theon will have fallen into really soft snow. It's BS afaic but I reckon that's what the writers will want us to believe.

Unless Brienne sees Sansa jump off the castle wall which stops her from killing Stannis...

I know the Arya plot line as this has been further developed in the books so I won't spoil that cliffhanger.

Back
Top Bottom