**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
A great set of fights! McGregor certainly has the stand-up to match his mouth. What a cracking left to finish it.
He took a few shots that, whilst they didn't rock him, they did stun him for a fraction of a second.

Soldato
Great card. To me Connor looked very drained. He needs to move up once he gets the belt. Also i thought Mendes just gave up. I didn't see or read about the post conference. Did he mention if his body was hurting or was he just gassed after the first 3 minutes?

Also it appears that flying knee's are becoming the next 'to do thing' :D

Associate
A great set of fights! McGregor certainly has the stand-up to match his mouth. What a cracking left to finish it.
He took a few shots that, whilst they didn't rock him, they did stun him for a fraction of a second.

Gotta hand it to him. What pressure he was under to win! Looks deadly when stood up against everyone he has stood in front of so far!

Deserved the win!

Associate
Early body shots and lack of a training camp prob got mendes tbh, plus holding conor down for the whole of the second round is proper draining after taking those hits to the body.. then when they got back up after a few good shots from conor mendes was to tired to defend and got caught!

best card ive seen in ages man, lawler v mcdonald was AWESOME!

Man of Honour
Great card. To me Connor looked very drained. He needs to move up once he gets the belt. Also i thought Mendes just gave up. I didn't see or read about the post conference. Did he mention if his body was hurting or was he just gassed after the first 3 minutes?

Also it appears that flying knee's are becoming the next 'to do thing' :D

starts at 7.40 mins

Caporegime
Just finished watching 189, one of the best (and bloody!) night of fights i've seen in a very long time.

Hopefully we can finally put to bed all the doubts about Conor and fighting a wrestler, he does seem to get hit but my word what a chin he's got on him. Mendes being gassed obviously didn't help his situation either! Biggest smile in the arena had to be Dana though, he knows he can setup an even bigger fight with Aldo now, providing he doesn't tuck again.

Rory and Lawler as well, wow what a fight. Fair play to Lawler I though Macdonald would have the beating of him this time round. Oh, and that lip! Brutal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Take a look at this warrior. Jesus Christ - http://gfycat.com/FakeExaltedIchthyostega

How great is this sport, by the way? The oversaturation is a problem, but nights like 189 are truly unbeatable, IMHO.

Just finished watching 189, one of the best (and bloody!) night of fights i've seen in a very long time.

Hopefully we can finally put to bed all the doubts about Conor and fighting a wrestler, he does seem to get hit but my word what a chin he's got on him. Mendes being gassed obviously didn't help his situation either! Biggest smile in the arena had to be Dana though, he knows he can setup an even bigger fight with Aldo now, providing he doesn't tuck again.

Yeah I'm not sure those questions will go away, neither should they. He looked calm and held his composure on the ground, conserving his energy well, but his TD defense just isn't there. No guard work or posture control either.

Not to take anything away from McGregor, he's obviously legit as they come. His will is unmatched. As soon as he got up from the guillotine attempt, there he was, straight back in Chad's face. Great footwork as well. His ability to cut off his opponents is awesome. Mendes looked like a cornered animal everytime they were on the feet.

I'd like to see that fight again sometime in the future with Mendes having a full training camp.

Caporegime
Yeah I'm not sure those questions will go away, neither should they. He looked calm and held his composure on the ground, conserving his energy well, but his TD defense just isn't there. No guard work or posture control either.

Not to take anything away from McGregor, he's obviously legit as they come. His will is unmatched. As soon as he got up from the guillotine attempt, there he was, straight back in Chad's face. Great footwork as well. His ability to cut off his opponents is awesome. Mendes looked like a cornered animal everytime they were on the feet.

I'd like to see that fight again sometime in the future with Mendes having a full training camp.

Out of 4 takedowns he immediately got up from 2, sure he stalled a bit in the second round but he knows that Mendes is going to tire himself out with grappling like that on 2 weeks notice, he played it smart. Silly move from Mendes to go for the guillotine though. He got taken down against Siver a couple of times as well, he's like Bisping in that he is able to shoot straight back up most of the time.

I think for a European fighter they know their takedown defense is pretty much never going to be good enough to keep the fight standing against a top, top wrestler, so they will concentrate on their ability to reposition to get back up.

I agree it would be interesting to see Mendes in a full training camp, Edgar could be tricky in that he literally doesn't tire. Could be a tough fight for Conor.

Oh and:

xckgh0.jpg

On a side note, how bad was Sinead O'Conner?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think for a European fighter they know their takedown defense is pretty much never going to be good enough to keep the fight standing against a top, top wrestler, so they will concentrate on their ability to reposition to get back up.

I'd say Bispings was right up there. I thought he won the fight against Sonnen.

Great night of fights. Was disappointed to see Picket lose. He's one of the most entertaining fighters in the UFC at the moment.

Soldato
That Lawler lip cut is one of the deepest I've ever seen, brutal. Feel a bit sorry for Rory he's a great welterweight but jesus can you imagine an x-ray of his nose now? Must literally be shattered.

Soldato
OP
Out of 4 takedowns he immediately got up from 2, sure he stalled a bit in the second round but he knows that Mendes is going to tire himself out with grappling like that on 2 weeks notice, he played it smart. Silly move from Mendes to go for the guillotine though. He got taken down against Siver a couple of times as well, he's like Bisping in that he is able to shoot straight back up most of the time.

I agree it would be interesting to see Mendes in a full training camp, Edgar could be tricky in that he literally doesn't tire. Could be a tough fight for Conor.

On a side note, how bad was Sinead O'Conner?

It was his complete lack of doing anything from his back that worried me, sure he threw some elbows and slaps, but he didn't attempt to sweep or sub and he got hit lots.

He only got up because Chad went for a silly guillotine.

The dude is legit there is no doubting that, but it was clear to see his ground game is lacking (for now) obviously he will be working on it.

His striking is just awesome to watch though, but I think that fight exposed him a bit and people will be setting out gameplans for it.

I'd really like to see a rematch with a full training camp for Chad in the future. Edgar is also an exciting fight and of course Aldo.

Back
Top Bottom