Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Soldato
Can u change the behaviour of the monitor going to sleep rather than standby when pc is switched off as it seems I have to press the button on the rear of the screen to get it to turn on after pc has started?

Associate
Hey guys, can you check your monitor for panel uniformity issues (dark bands/patches) using this test image?
It's a flat gray image and I've found it's one of the colors that greatly exaggerates the flaws in your screen. My screen has dark bands going across it and wanted to get an idea on how common these defects are on this panel.

No banding either.

Soldato
How would I test for frame skipping? I don't have a camera that I can control shutter speed.

You don't need one really, pretty much any smartphone camera will work with the appropriate test. Simply reduce the monitor brightness as much as possible when taking the shot and try to darken the room.

So if you cant notice it with the human eye, why does it matter if it does skip frames?

Just a thought...:confused:

Because people simply see that their monitor is 'running' at a higher refresh rate and think it must be better. If they then learn that it is skipping frames, it's funny how often they start to notice it without using any sort of specific test. It's funny how the mind works. ;) Although if they aren't sensitive enough to stutter to notice that frames are being skipped, they may still prefer it to 60Hz. They may still be getting more frames than 60 per second (60Hz) even if some are skipped and they may appreciate the reduced latency during inputs.

Soldato
Yep you were right. Tried 66hz and seems to not be dropping any. 70hz sometimes gets the odd dropped frame but mostly not. Think im going to stick with 70hz.

66hz

DSC_0055%203.jpg

70hz

DSC_0037%203.jpg

Associate
Yes I get that with that image, but it is not noticeable at all anywhere else in use.

@.:SAmSuNG:. - faster settings create ghosting. A silly setting and useless. I'm don't think we can on this panel.... may be wrong.

No banding either.

Thanks for the input. Turns out mine was defective because it had very dark asymmetrical bands/patches that were even visible in games.
I turned my monitor in to a Samsung service center, they ordered a new panel and it's way better now. The new panel came in with a new front bezel (front gloss black+side silver part) attached, all they had to do was screw it in to the rear housing/stand. Pretty great service.

Edit: Also had minor clouding near the edges on the old panel. There doesn't seem to be any clouding at all on the replacement, black is pitch black.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember when I tried to overclock mine to 75hz. I didn't test enough to notice frame skipping but I instantly remember everything looking weird and the text looking all blurry or something along those lines.

Soldato
Has anyone dealt with Samsung warranty on this monitor? I have a thunderfly (about 4 pixels long) that has died between the screen so that I cannot get it out. I don't want to open it up and it's died literally top left which is below my bookmarks bar so it's very obvious when using the screen on white backgrounds.

About 5 years ago I sent back two dell 24" monitors for the same reason and no quibbles they sorted it. Any idea where I start with Samsung? It's such a shame as I love the monitor and I've had it only a few months now

Associate
I have a thunderfly (about 4 pixels long) that has died between the screen so that I cannot get it out.

What the hell....I googled what a thunderfly was (Sorry, filthy foreign Canadian here, never heard of these beasts), and half the articles that it brought up were about them being stuck in peoples screens.

Back
Top Bottom