Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Soldato
What the hell....I googled what a thunderfly was (Sorry, filthy foreign Canadian here, never heard of these beasts), and half the articles that it brought up were about them being stuck in peoples screens.

Yeah it's a tiny (4-5 pixels tops) little black bug that appear during our hot summer months here in the UK. However the monitor was off all weekend and then I turn it on and it's wandering around in there, very strange why it picked the inside of a monitor as it's home when it's hard to get into :( It looks like a row of dead pixels now

Soldato
Blacks seem a lot better with those settings that I had before. Do I just need to add that profile and use those settings? Nothing else in nvidia control panel or any other settings in windows?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm wondering whether to go for this, or for a 32" 16:9 4k screen for the same money. In my mind it's crispness (4k) vs. immersion (curve). Any other considerations I need to have with this screen?

Associate
I couldn't actually imagine using this size screen without the curve, I feel like I would have to move my head a lot more than I do to read it.

The curve is subtle, yes, but it's definitely a good thing in my opinion.

Associate
I couldn't actually imagine using this size screen without the curve, I feel like I would have to move my head a lot more than I do to read it.

The curve is subtle, yes, but it's definitely a good thing in my opinion.

So much this.

Although I work for Samsung, so I may have drunk the kool aid.

Soldato
seriously thinking of getting one of these bad boys since they look overclockable.

however, how are they for ps4 and xbox one scaling? how does console games look on it?

Soldato
so no one has a ps4 or xbox one hooked into one of these?

I see you can use a zoom option on these.

thing that puts me off this widescreen is the black bars and lack of full screen usage on consoles.

Soldato
so no one has a ps4 or xbox one hooked into one of these?

I see you can use a zoom option on these.

thing that puts me off this widescreen is the black bars and lack of full screen usage on consoles.

You can select the 'Wide' option to make it stretch to fit the screen. But it would look stretched and horrendous (refer to the 'interpolation and upscaling' section of my review). And forget overclocking, they don't reliably go past ~65Hz without frame skipping or obvious artifacts.

Associate
I have this monitor waiting for me to pickup.

But you guys scare me away from it a bit.
Banding, Trailing/Ghosting, Uniformity, Text is weird..

Anyone had this monitor for a long time, and possibly a >100hz display aswell for comparison in terms of gaming? What are FPS games like on the S34?

Anyway its either this or the PG279Q.

What should I go for? PG will arrive on monday/tue.

Soldato
I have this monitor waiting for me to pickup.

But you guys scare me away from it a bit.
Banding, Trailing/Ghosting, Uniformity, Text is weird..

Anyone had this monitor for a long time, and possibly a >100hz display aswell for comparison in terms of gaming? What are FPS games like on the S34?

Anyway its either this or the PG279Q.

What should I go for? PG will arrive on monday/tue.

ive been using mine since last feb and fps gaming is great, i dont see any ghosting or input lag, the text on web pages was not great but even that looks a bit better since i moved to windows 10, if you go for it dont expect to much out of the box as default settings are very poor

Soldato
ive been using mine since last feb and fps gaming is great, i dont see any ghosting or input lag, the text on web pages was not great but even that looks a bit better since i moved to windows 10, if you go for it dont expect to much out of the box as default settings are very poor

Yeah, this. Text was terrible to start with but tweaking cleartype settings really helps and now I'm also used to the slight blur. Keep in mind that I use mine for about 10 hours a day most days at the home office. It is very different from a say an IPS panel, which is what I came from.

Back
Top Bottom