• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4770k has died, taken mobo with it - replacement advice plz

Associate
If you're upgrading go X99. No point getting rubbish 4 core i7 chips anymore when the 5820K isn't too much more expensive.

Associate
I'm pretty sure CPUs frying themselves hasn't been a problem since the Athlon XP days.
Are you sure the problem isn't somewhere else in the system? (Dead PSU?)

Associate
OP
Board is a asus sabertooth z87 btw. 5 year warranty thankfully!

I replaced the fan, the new one spins up as does the HD, mobo fans GPU etc etc but no boot into the BIOS. I've reset the CMOS jumper, pulled the battery, removed everything bar keyboard and CPU/memory/monitor, tried it without the GPU using the inboard HDMI . I tested the PSU with both the paperclip method and a multimeter.

No good, it's hard to say if the CPU is dead, it looks like the board definitely is as there isn't any error beeps etc, no post no matter what I try.

Associate
Oh, idid have the mobo thermal warning set, it never tripped, the thing just insta-shutdown!

The shutdown would have been the thermal protection kicking in.

The warning alarm you set in the BIOS does nothing if you don't have a speaker plugged in to your motherboard.

Soldato
I've seen videos of people taking the heatsink off an Intel chip and it powers down to nothing as it heats up to TJmax then speeds up as the heatsink is put back on, only to slow down again as its taken off. Chip still wouldn't die.

The fact the fan failed also suggests mobo.

Associate
OP
Motherboard is back from the RMA, tested fine apparently! :eek:
Put everything back together, no difference from before and I spent several hours fiddling with it too.

Looks like the cpu is going back .....

Associate
OP
Well, it turned out to be the power supply at fault in the end, yet it passed the paper clip test and testing the voltage with a MM. It was one of the 8 pins on the eps cable (for the additional 12v to the motherboard) at fault. This cable happens to be hard wired into the PSU and is not part of the modular cabling for the dvd-rom, gfx card, HDD etc.

The burnt electrical smell has now subsided with the replacement PSU, but my original cpu fan still doesn't work!? Odd that both it and the psu failed, the fan failing added to the confusion over if the mb/cpu were damaged.

Thankfully I didn't send the cpu off for RMA!

Soldato
Intel have excellent warranty support, they ask for the serial numbers and send you a new chip, easy as! Shame some shops cant offer this american experience!

Soldato
Well, it turned out to be the power supply at fault in the end, yet it passed the paper clip test and testing the voltage with a MM. It was one of the 8 pins on the eps cable (for the additional 12v to the motherboard) at fault. This cable happens to be hard wired into the PSU and is not part of the modular cabling for the dvd-rom, gfx card, HDD etc.

The burnt electrical smell has now subsided with the replacement PSU, but my original cpu fan still doesn't work!? Odd that both it and the psu failed, the fan failing added to the confusion over if the mb/cpu were damaged.

That's good news! I was going to say when I saw your post about the motherboard I thought 'Those sabertooth's are meant to be bullet proof' and it was hard to believe that both your motherboard and CPU would die like that.

I've had a couple of faulty PSU's in my time, bloody annoying to say the least as you always spend hours error checking everything else bar the PSU!

Associate
OP
Last edited:

Nice, glad you have sorted it.

Yes PSUs can be a real pain!

Back
Top Bottom