£4000 all rounder - commuting/touring/weekend blasts

Soldato
I need some more ideas for a £4000 max budget, 'all rounder' to be used year round, doing probably 12k plus miles a year (may only keep it a year), doing commuting, euro tours, and weekend summer rides.

Must have ABS.
Also a decent tank range i.e. an aprilia dorsoduro with its 100 mile range is out :p

So far I have:

NC700x
K1200s
Sprint ST
F800ST
VFR800

Open to any suggestions, I think sports bikes will be out but I can run some quotes. I'll have had my licence a year in October so looking to get some test rides done in September. Power, the more the better - don't want to get bored with it.

BMW GS1200/smaller engine sizes?
KTM something?

Cheers!

Associate
CBF1000? I think you can pickup a 2006-2008 for that kind of money. Might still be a little on the high side to insure but won't be as bad as a CBR1000.... I like the look of the Kawasaki Z750 but biketrader doesn't have many of them

Associate
I have the NC700s which is the naked version of the NC700x. It's not a fun bike, you'll love it if you're a new rider but if you have experience of other bikes you might find it a bit tame.
It's really good on petrol though and you'll love the 'frunk' & wonder how you'll ever cope without one.

Caporegime
CBF1000? I think you can pickup a 2006-2008 for that kind of money. Might still be a little on the high side to insure but won't be as bad as a CBR1000.... I like the look of the Kawasaki Z750 but biketrader doesn't have many of them

woudlnt fancy long distance on a super naked.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
KTM something?

12k a year on a KTM? GLHF

Buy a spare Stator in advance. :D My mechanic and pretty much anyone who has been biking for 10 years+ has told me that KTM is probably one of the most unreliable makes out there, its like a Austria's version of Ducati. :eek:

Edit

My vote goes for VFR800 :)

Soldato
OP
Good shout on the CBF1000, I'd forgotten about them... they are rather forgettable! But still a decent all rounder, nice torquey detuned fireblade lump.

NC700 - this is my worry, my current bike has 50bhp and all the power above 7k rpm, so it'll be different to have some low down torque, but having ridden plenty of 100-150bhp bikes, I do think I'll get a little bored after a while. As a commuter it's awesome, it would save me £25 a month in fuel over my current 55mpg bike, but other than that it's lacking a little. A test ride will be easy to do though, got a nice friendly honda dealer just round the corner from me.

I did my DAS on an ER6N and wasn't that impressed, buzzy as hell and pretty cheap feeling - the versys is based on the same platform - and I don't think I could live with the it's looks!

If the K1200S insurance was a little cheaper it'd be great, as it won't be garaged - but it's up there at the top of the list. Just the issue over potential running costs, but I'll be buying from a dealer so will try to get a decent warranty.

Associate
Yamaha FZ-1S ABS with the full fairings would be my choice. Quite rare and it would be tough to find for £4k, but doable if you're patient.

10873497_10153558553662889_8383113519013206596_o.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Blackbird doesn't have ABS, just combined/linked brakes.

I'm surprised at the KTM reliability, stuff like the 990 adv can go around the world. I've love a 990 adventure tbh :D

Caporegime
oh didn't think anyone cared about abs tbh.

that one requirement alone has basically stopped you getting many of the bikes that where king back in their day that can now be had for that budget and instead you limited to more modern but lower spec machines.

Soldato
OP
Not if you're doing commuting miles in damp, greasy, oil covered roads.

ABS is the main reason I'm thinking of changing, if got a bike without it I may as well stay with my current bike.

Basically, long story short - I had another off yesterday. 100% the same as my other one back in January. Braking for a stopped car, and the front locks for seemingly no apparent reason :mad: and down I go. Headlight/clock casing damaged, and this time a hole in the starter cover, cue half a litre of oil coming out while the bike was on its side. Pushed it home 2 miles. :( should have it back on the road by this weekend.

I looked back at the road, which was dry, and could see no reason whatsoever why it locked up. I've locked the front before and it's slid and I've been able to react and release to keep control, but this time I had no chance to react. Like before, I wasn't even braking hard, I was only doing 10-15mph. My brakes do seem to have very little initial bite, followed by a fair bit of power as you squeeze more, so maybe it's an issue with them?

Part of me thinks the bike is cursed :D but regardless, having ABS would have saved be paying out £250 on repairs and train tickets this week, plus about £400 back in January.

So yeah, I want ABS.

Oh and not a scratch on me. Hood kevlar jeans/furygan leather jacket, I jumped up straight away thinking "oh for ****s sake!!!"

Soldato
Unlucky with the lock-up. Front brakes don't sound very confidence inspiring!

I wouldn't look at the nc700, supposed to be very dull and underpowered, and was told by someone who has one as a hire bike while his bike's being assessed for value/repairs after a crash that the honda steers woefully as well.

FZ1 looks a good shout, can have panniers, 150hp, reasonable wind protection, insurance group 15 though, is that going to cost too much?

Caporegime
ive braked sharp a fair few times in the wet ive felt it lockup yeah but its been fine

suppose it depends on each machine though,theres a knack of letting go and applying brake again

abs costs a lot ontop aswell,and yeah that fz1 looks tasty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom