Bathroom overhead shower extractor fan

Soldato
I need to replace a bathroom extractor fan in a family members house.
Do these thing tend to be of similar sizes, the current model looks affixed to the ceiling over the shower.
I assume there is tubing attached to the top of it, but the fan is dying, and making large amounts of noise which sound like rattling bearings.

It is linked to the lights and has a set delay for a few minutes after the light goes off, is this a function of the fan itself?

Which model would people recommend for quietness,, and for simplicity of a straight swap?

Associate
The time delay will be a function of the fan.
You can also get them with humidity sensors as well.
These tend to be obviously more expensive

Soldato
OP
Ah the manrose things are like the ones i have i my own house.
So i would just use a blank vent panel on the roof, and connect this in line to the ducting, spliting both sides into place.
Need to get into the loft and see what way the current ducting is, and if i can easily splice it.

Soldato
Did the same, replaced an axial type effort which didn't have enough capability to shift air for this "Manrose MF100T In-Line Mixed Flow Extractor Fan with Timer" which shifts about 3 or 4 times the amount. Was able to fit a piece of chipboard between the beams and mount the Manrose upside down so it was close to the ducting which I was able to then cut so the Manrose was then spliced into the middle. Had to buy a separate fan cover for the ceiling and a back draught thing to go inside the ducting so the cold air doesn't blow back into the bathroom.

Soldato
Another vote for the inline back draught shutter. Stops those chilly blasts of air when your relaxing in the bath with a glass of wine....oh, hang on, that was before I had a child, now it just stops the draughts when I have my 5 second shower!

Vent Axia VASF100 is fairly quiet and has back draught shutter built in.

Soldato
Soldato
Do some of these vent into the loft, or is it ducted outside from the loft? It's not a great idea to vent moist air into the loft, unless you like being rained on in your attic (had that at the last place I lived). Admittedly the roof probably needed some vent tiles.

Soldato
Do some of these vent into the loft, or is it ducted outside from the loft? It's not a great idea to vent moist air into the loft, unless you like being rained on in your attic (had that at the last place I lived). Admittedly the roof probably needed some vent tiles.

You normally need to vent the unit to the roof via a duct.

My issue is not knowing if I need to replace the unit that is in the bathroom side. Really need to unscrew it all and see what space I'm working with.

Caporegime

Ducted into and through the soffits. Obviously you don't vent into the loft.

Soldato
OP
Okay, going to bump this thread, i installed an axia fan, which was recommended here, it was very quiet, it shift the air, and with its timer, the bathroom is always clear of any humidy. It has the blowback thing to stop cold air coming in also.
It is vented upwards, through the roofspace, and the air expelled through a tile in the roof.

Now that it is very cold, i am aware of what seems to be condensation building up within the venting ducting.
I am very concerned that this will drip or indeed run back down into the electronics of the fan itself, and on inspection, there seems to be the start of this happening.

Is there a way to avoid this, to syphon condensation away from the ducting?
What would people recommend.
The ducting is about a metre long, and goes relatively straight up within the roofspace.

Soldato
Never vent into the roof - you'll just rot the roof as everything just condenses on the cold wood and other fittings, next stop is rotting boards... etc. Always vent out under the eaves or through the wall. Make sure the pipe is on a 2 degree downward angle to the outside of the house so any condensation drips out. Also make sure any pipe-to-pipe gaps are sealed as it will work it's way out via capillary action. If you have a vent pipe vertical.. then the cold condensation will run back down and drip out of the bathroom ceiling vent.

The electrician told me that manrose are the best out there and that you should really make sure that the fan is as close to the bathroom as possible as it helps the air flow. Mine is actually attached to the wall pipe at the wall.. no biggie but as it's a little axia one it's not high throughput either.

Back
Top Bottom