My Golf R Estate has arrived

Associate
I'm impressed by the amount of storage areas in the front.

In the 1 Series I had to pay extra for a small storage area by the steering wheel and some crappy nets behind the front seats - that was it.

In the Golf, as standard there are loads more places to put things:
  • A pull out tray under each front seat
  • sunglasses storage in the roof
  • press out cover storage under the climate controls
  • much deeper arm rest storage
  • under steering wheel storage
  • massive door bins with angled drinks bottle space
  • proper seat pockets
  • cup holders which actually hold drinks securely and don't get in the way of the gear stick

.....and they are all felt lined :D

The door ones extend back a long way on my GTI, presume yours are the same. I don't have a clue what they are for though.:confused:

Eco mode on this takes some getting used to. It goes into a coast mode which it means it gathers speed very quickly when going downhill.

Hate eco mode for the coasting and leads to using the brakes more causing the dreaded brake dust all over the front wheels.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;28797978 said:
Whereas your 28 minutes were basically like attending a rock concert?

None of these economy records are ever the result of a thrilling drive, lets be honest.
Flippant Fox

Keeping the mind actively focused on achieving something during a dull commute feels pretty good..... But to do it for over 150 minutes, that takes serious restraint.

Man of Honour
If you think it takes 'serious restraint' to simply observe the speed limit and whack the cruise on when undertaking a long journey (Which is pretty much what he's done to get that) then I worry that you drive a 300bhp car :p

All of my economy 'records' have involved just that - it takes zero restraint at all and is trivially easy. Set the cruise to the speed limit and enjoy the music.

Soldato
OP
Using cruise to acheive your highest mpg; that'll be why you get useless MPG then.

Unless your cruise can anticipate traffic, junctions, hills etc etc :p

Soldato
Using cruise to acheive your highest mpg; that'll be why you get useless MPG then.

Unless your cruise can anticipate traffic, junctions, hills etc etc :p

Cruise control doesn't have to anticipate those things, that what the driver does.

I drive that way on all long journeys because it's far more relaxing (not to mention the money saved by doing so).

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28798548 said:
If you think it takes 'serious restraint' to simply observe the speed limit and whack the cruise on when undertaking a long journey (Which is pretty much what he's done to get that) then I worry that you drive a 300bhp car :p

All of my economy 'records' have involved just that - it takes zero restraint at all and is trivially easy. Set the cruise to the speed limit and enjoy the music.

This is probably partly due to population density where I live, but I absolutely hate using traditional cruise control to drive at the speed limit on motorways. You're constantly being overtaken by people, who then slow down, then you overtake them again, then people pull out on you etc etc.

Sitting behind a coach at 60MPH is relaxing (and allowed me to get 42MPG out of a 3.0 V6 :p) as you can spend the majority of time in the inside lane and let most people pass you. Sitting at 90MPH passing everyone is also pretty relaxing as you spend most of your time in lane 3 but don't catch people up quickly enough to have to constantly brake/accelerate. 70MPH is just a massive pain as you're always surrounded by other people and their moronic habits.

Of course, ACC makes all this a non issue, but equally isn't an economical way to drive at all.

Soldato
This is probably partly due to population density where I live, but I absolutely hate using traditional cruise control to drive at the speed limit on motorways. You're constantly being overtaken by people, who then slow down, then you overtake them again, then people pull out on you etc etc.

Sitting behind a coach at 60MPH is relaxing (and allowed me to get 42MPG out of a 3.0 V6 :p) as you can spend the majority of time in the inside lane and let most people pass you. Sitting at 90MPH passing everyone is also pretty relaxing as you spend most of your time in lane 3 but don't catch people up quickly enough to have to constantly brake/accelerate. 70MPH is just a massive pain as you're always surrounded by other people and their moronic habits.

Of course, ACC makes all this a non issue, but equally isn't an economical way to drive at all.

Set your cruise to 73 MPH, people speeding normally do 80 so will easily overtake you. People not speeding tend to do 68/69 so you easily over take them. Problem solved.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;28797658 said:
I sense the 1 Series saga all over again - nobody else could ever get close to your claimed figures on that, either. How did you manage to cover 15 miles in just 28 minutes through morning town traffic? I suspect claiming it's 'morning town traffic' which for most people is stop start paints an unfair picture of just how easy the drive was...

No way in hell is that "morning traffic" with a 34mph average speed :p!

Coincidentally my commute is also 15 miles which is 70% A road. Will reset my trip on Thursday to see what my 11 year old Saab can achieve (Similar horsepower and weight).

Last edited:
Soldato
No way in hell is that "morning traffic" with a 34mph average speed :p!

Coincidentally my commute is also 15 miles which is 70% A road. Will reset my trip on Thursday to see what my 11 year old Saab can achieve (Similar horsepower and weight).

What you got? :D
My 8 year old Saab is currentlly averaging a solid 19mpg across the current tank of fuel, which is just commuting back and forth to work, 4 miles town road 30mph's and 4 miles on a dualler at 70mph down a huge hill (I put it in neutral and coast down to up my MPG's).

Soldato
OP
How long was the total wait for the Golf from order to delivery out of interest?

I ordered the car on 30th April and it was delivered on 2nd November.
So, 27 weeks / 6 months.

Initially I was given an August delivery date but that moved back to September and then October.

Soldato
I ordered the car on 30th April and it was delivered on 2nd November.
So, 27 weeks / 6 months.

Initially I was given an August delivery date but that moved back to September and then October.
I think I'd prefer the Macan to be honest, but that would probably be another £10k and you still wouldn't have equal performance. But then it would be a Macan which I rather like :p

Soldato
OP
The Macan was another £20k + options and it's got less boot space. There is no doubt a Porsche badge is more Gucci though.

Soldato
OP
The Macan is nice but you pay for it.
The recently announced Macan GTS is £55k base, you need to add £4k of options to get it up to the standard spec of the Golf R. Then it's a touch slower with less space and 400kg more weight.

It's a lot of compromise for a posher badge.

Permabanned
The 30% extra torque in the Macan will have it feeling faster too... the 0-60 time being 0.2s slower is probably as simple as a longer second gear in PDK vs DSG.

Of course he could have made the base price back in the cheaper servicing at Porsche ;) ;) ;)

note: Sport chrono knocks the GTS 0-60 time down to 4.8 btw ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom