ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Associate
Just un-boxed mine and after initial setup everything looks good. Came from *several* TN Swifts which ended with ASUS providing a refund after the 2nd refurb arrived with fault.

Couldn't justify the step up to the X34 and there's no way the wife would let me update from my 780ti's at the same time to drive it. So took a punt on this and so far I'm very pleased. Must confess to a schrodinger's cat moment of not wanting to switch the panel on once I had it on the desk. Silly a £700 monitor can do that to you.

Associate
Just un-boxed mine and after initial setup everything looks good. Came from *several* TN Swifts which ended with ASUS providing a refund after the 2nd refurb arrived with fault.

Couldn't justify the step up to the X34 and there's no way the wife would let me update from my 780ti's at the same time to drive it. So took a punt on this and so far I'm very pleased. Must confess to a schrodinger's cat moment of not wanting to switch the panel on once I had it on the desk. Silly a £700 monitor can do that to you.

Congrats, it really is a good monitor if you are fortunate enough to get one without issues! For gaming it's unsurpassed in some aspects and for general use the IPS panel makes it so much nicer to use than any TN. I'm in a very similar boat and still contemplating whether I can justify £200 more for an X34. If I thought I'd get a perfect one of those I'd do it, but it seems like almost as much of a lottery as with this monitor.

Associate
Noticed this has gone back upto £799. Watch out for the 2 day full price then reduced again offer. Could this be the suggested Boxing Day Today Only special coming along....

It was £780 due to it being in the 'This week only deals' last week. Now its ended its gone back up.

I still want a reason why theyve increased it £50 from the original release price and from other competing etailers.

+I wonder how much they actually sold last week during it being £780-£800. Cause every single time since it launched, give it a week and its out of stock. With this price increase it still says "10+ in stock"

Man of Honour
Is this monitor worth it? Over the original?

Depends what your requirements are and a bit of a lottery if you get one without some of the issues like extreme IPS glow, etc. that detract from some of the advantages. For fast motion clarity the TN still has the edge.

Soldato
Just my personal opinion but I had the TN Swift before and hated it. The white was like speckled grey and the picture quality I wasnt happy with. This is partially down to having a UHD monitor at the time.

So for me this beats the TN Swift and even my old Sammy 4k.

you must have had a dodgy TN swift then. Love mine and having had tried 2x 279Q's i wasnt hugely impressed with the TN-IPS difference there. I actually prefer my TN because no IPS glow, no blb and color wise there isnt a massive amount in it as the TN is a very good panel to start with.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
^^ The earlier ones had quite heavy anti-glare coating which made whites kind of gritty/matt looking - my RMA replacement has a much less aggressive coating and whites are much more normal looking resulting in a much higher perceived image quality.

Mobster
Soldato
you must have had a dodgy TN swift then. Love mine and having had tried 2x 279Q's i wasnt hugely impressed with the TN-IPS difference there. I actually prefer my TN because no IPS glow, no blb and color wise there isnt a massive amount in it as the TN is a very good panel to start with.

There's a difference between loving your TN then talking rubbish about IPS. You're doing both. Back light bleed has nothing to do with IPS technology and to say colours on IPS is not far off TN is a blatant lie. You can try and dress up newer TN technology as much as you like, its still TN.

Soldato
There's a difference between loving your TN then talking rubbish about IPS. You're doing both. Back light bleed has nothing to do with IPS technology and to say colours on IPS is not far off TN is a blatant lie. You can try and dress up newer TN technology as much as you like, its still TN.

TN panels have come a long way. IPS is very nice minus the glow.

Soldato
^^ The earlier ones had quite heavy anti-glare coating which made whites kind of gritty/matt looking - my RMA replacement has a much less aggressive coating and whites are much more normal looking resulting in a much higher perceived image quality.

Thats exactly what it looked like and the sharpness of the image and text was not right somehow. When it was side by side with my 4k monitor the 4k was visibly better. So it went back.

Man of Honour
Thats exactly what it looked like and the sharpness of the image and text was not right somehow. When it was side by side with my 4k monitor the 4k was visibly better. So it went back.

Yeah if you've seen my posts in the PG278Q thread one of the first things I mentioned after the RMA was how much sharper text looked - while I moaned a lot about the RMA aslong as this one doesn't develop issues its actually played out to my benefit.

(For a split second the thought actually went through my head "have they actually sent me the IPS Swift by mistake" but then I noticed the slight gamma shift in almost the same thought).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom