*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hey guys, on week 10 of madcows now and I'm starting to feel that I will stall tomorrow (week 10 Monday workout), and I have been grinding out the squats and deadlifts so far. Should I recalculate my new 5rm and start a fresh cycle from week 1 or go back a couple of weeks? Thanks

Man of Honour
Take three or four days off to eat like Kobayashi and sleep like a student and test your 1RMs... :D

If you have been at MadCow for ten weeks, you might be in for a bit of a temporary interlude, too; I am not sure what the 'progression' for MadCow is (like Stronglifts where you knock weights, etc. off), but testing 1RMs is always interesting as you get to see how much you have progressed and how stable your form is (i.e. what is potentially holding you back).

I think Drewmforger has a fair amount of experience with MadCow, so he may have some better input...

Associate
I've switched my program to ice cream fitness 5x5. My gym only has one power rack so I want to have a couple of exercises I can do if the power rack is being used. Can anyone help with the below?

Squats - Goblet squats and BSS?
Bench - Dumbbell bench (is this enough?)
Bent over barbell row - Can I do the exact same exercise with dumbbells?

Cheers

Soldato
Got the Adidas Power Perfect II for Christmas :) Haven't trained in 11 days though haha.
Strangely, feels nice to have some time off from the gym. Back on it tomorrow though, legs are gonna die...

Soldato
I have a quick question with regards to squats.. do you guys go all the way down or just go down to when your thighs are parallel to the ground (horizontal)?
I go all the way down hold a second then back up again. Is going to only parallel better for building strength or continue with my current method?

Man of Honour
I have a quick question with regards to squats.. do you guys go all the way down or just go down to when your thighs are parallel to the ground (horizontal)?
I go all the way down hold a second then back up again. Is going to only parallel better for building strength or continue with my current method?

Depends entirely HOW you squat: if your bum has rounded out from going below parallel then this os actually counterproductive... but if you can go lower with stable form then you should (outcome dependent)...

Man of Honour
OP
I'd argue that it depends on your goals, going too far beyond parallel and you tend to find that all the tension from your quads is gone.

So I'd say if you're training for size then hit parallel or as low as you can before you lose tension

Associate
I took a 4 day break over the Christmas period as the gym was either shut or had weird opening times - attempted week 10 day 1 yesterday and the workout went pretty well. I'm going to try and grind out and finish up to week 12 and then see where I go from there, but from what I read on power-lifting to win with madcow its a case of building up fatigue and resetting with new rep maxes.

Soldato
Wanted to ask a question about training programs.

I've been training solidly the past 6-7 months following no program in particular but loosely doing a rotation between upper and lower body, depending on what's the least sore on training day.

Was thinking this morning that trying a new program for the new year would be fun but kinda stuck as there's so many.

What would you guys recommend for someone with 15+ years training experience (with well deserved breaks in some of those years :p ) and a good overall level of muscle?

Thanks fellas!

Man of Honour
Wanted to ask a question about training programs.

I've been training solidly the past 6-7 months following no program in particular but loosely doing a rotation between upper and lower body, depending on what's the least sore on training day.

Was thinking this morning that trying a new program for the new year would be fun but kinda stuck as there's so many.

What would you guys recommend for someone with 15+ years training experience (with well deserved breaks in some of those years :p ) and a good overall level of muscle?

Thanks fellas!

Squat Nemesis for gains (or Russain Squat Routine with Smolov Junior).

HST for size.

Soldato
Squat Nemesis for gains (or Russain Squat Routine with Smolov Junior).

HST for size.

Liking HST as I train as many muscle groups a day as possible.

But 1 set per body part?? Goes against all my instincts :p

Anyway, I'll give it a go for 12 weeks. Is there any specific HST training plan that's preferable on here or just pick any that looks good?

Tea Drinker
Don
Bugger bugger bugger I think something is properly wrong with my knee. At the bottom of the squat on the initial push up it feels like bone against bone. After trashing my bike 6 weeks ago :( sad panda. Looks like a call to the docs tomorrow.

Not after any advice :)

Soldato
Due to my lefthand(was born with a deformed hand which now looks normal and broke my fingers :( so my lefthand has about 70% grip of right) i need straps for Deadlifts/Lat Pulldowns and such....i been training about a year now properly so doing pretty well considering my disadvantage.

What straps would you guys recommend? or would normal Myprotein ones be fine on their site?

Man of Honour
Due to my lefthand(was born with a deformed hand which now looks normal and broke my fingers :( so my lefthand has about 70% grip of right) i need straps for Deadlifts/Lat Pulldowns and such....i been training about a year now properly so doing pretty well considering my disadvantage.

What straps would you guys recommend? or would normal Myprotein ones be fine on their site?

Get the cheapest you can find...

In addition, buy some FatGripz or equivalent.

Man of Honour
Bugger bugger bugger I think something is properly wrong with my knee. At the bottom of the squat on the initial push up it feels like bone against bone. After trashing my bike 6 weeks ago :( sad panda. Looks like a call to the docs tomorrow.

Not after any advice :)

Also see a physio... Depending on what the doctor says. If it is a GP with no experience, good luck! ;)

To be fair, you have also been hard at everything for the past few months, which started from a "untrained" base... Getting your lifting technique checked over is never a bad idea, either. Post a video here in the form thread or get a coach...

Tea Drinker
Don
Also see a physio... Depending on what the doctor says. If it is a GP with no experience, good luck! ;)

To be fair, you have also been hard at everything for the past few months, which started from a "untrained" base... Getting your lifting technique checked over is never a bad idea, either. Post a video here in the form thread or get a coach...

GP appointment booked and have got in touch with a physio I used last year.

Everything I've been doing has been 1 on 1 so my form should be okay.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom