Just starting out

Man of Honour
You actually like yours? Mine is **** in my Frank Thomas helmet, is no good at blocking out the sun at all lol.

Yep it's great, my eyes really suffer in bright sun as well to the point I look like I've constantly got one eye shut if I've not got shades on and it works for me.

Associate
OP
I was going to wait a while to sort out my DAS... but got itchy feet so been in touch with a local school.

Booked up for an afternoon on a big bike, they'll then use that to judge how many days etc. I might as well get it sorted before all the summer riders start booking up :p.

I've been doing a load more riding on the 125 and have been working on mirrors, gears, junction approaches and taking on feedback from guys at work who etc (bought the police riders handbook from the rainforest place for 1p(!) too) and been having a lot of fun. Actually had a dry day recently, so I could really lean into the corners ahah.

Associate
I was going to wait a while to sort out my DAS... but got itchy feet so been in touch with a local school.

Booked up for an afternoon on a big bike, they'll then use that to judge how many days etc. I might as well get it sorted before all the summer riders start booking up :p.

I've been doing a load more riding on the 125 and have been working on mirrors, gears, junction approaches and taking on feedback from guys at work who etc (bought the police riders handbook from the rainforest place for 1p(!) too) and been having a lot of fun. Actually had a dry day recently, so I could really lean into the corners ahah.

Try get it done ASAP, in the summer it can be a month or two between mod one and mod two.

Soldato
Yep, once spring hits and the weather starts to turn everyone and their dog wants to get a bike licence. March/April/May time will be busiest depending on the weather.

Associate
OP
All signed up!

I have got a quick question, but think this might be more of a 125 thing.

On my 125, the gear / speed / rev boundaries are fairly narrow, so lots of changing up and down. On approach to a small roundabout, or tight corner, if I want to try and take it with a nice bit of lean (not knee down ;p) I reduce speed, and have been gearing down. This seems to give me more power and lets me accelerate out of the corner - but it pushes the revs up high.

So should I just take such corners in a higher gear, but have less power around / on the way out, or gear down and push up the revs to give me power if I need it on the way round and out?

Does this make sense? :p I'm guessing on a bigger bike this isn't such an issue.

Caporegime
its usually slow in fast out,of a corner so id say a lower gear as your approaching the roundabout and soon as you start to exit accelerate and change up

you just need to find a suitable gear for the speed your entering the corner

Soldato
In the corner you want a constant, very very slight throttle - only just accelerating, this will give you the most stability. Therefore, you need to be in the right gear before the corner. You're thinking about it a little too much IMO - it's a 125, so full revs everywhere if you're accelerating, get into the right gear before the corner, so the engine isn't screaming or lugging, a bit of throttle through the corner and more on the exit.

Soldato
Just passed my CBT on sunday first time with no training other than on the day, Was riding a moped for about a year a long time ago (1999) so had a bit of knowledge to help me.

Was offered a 2005 CG125 before I even thought about getting a bike etc so thought what the hell! Just got a helmet (LS2 FF384, Pinlock visor and Motus waterproofs for just under £110 off the bay, Didn't want to spend too much as it's only a summer thing to get to work and the odd day out.

Can't wait for the warmer weather!

Back
Top Bottom