Bike License

Soldato
Another tip is as you come to a stop, turn the bars slightly to the right. This will ensure that the bike 'falls' to the left.

I've dropped 2 bikes (both adventure bikes). The latest one was a few months ago when I forgot to put the stand down on my GS at the petrol station. I felt such an idiot as I got off the bike and it just fell on the floor. Must have been hilarious on the cctv though! The embarrassment helped me pick the bike up sharpish! No damage as the bike is built for it.

Man of Honour
As everyone has said, don't let it worry you - since passing 9 months ago I have had more than my fair share of close calls when stopping - including throwing a bike on the floor once or twice.
My biggest tip would be however you stop, don't panic about it - better to bump to a stop with your feet down, in gear than panic - try to get everything right too quickly and end up on the floor! Take your time, get used to it, and you can build up to perfect technique !

Even after all that I ride a fully dressed ST1100 Pan European, which comes in at 300+ KG wet - anything but a controlled, balanced stop leads to achey legs and embarrassment, but if I can do it, you can too!

Soldato
OP
Thank you all for the great advice.

Today has been far, far better than I hoped for to be honest. As today was my Mod 1 test day, and involved a 80 mile round trip, so thought that I would take the opportunity to improve my stopping, and positioning on the 125 before moving up. In all honesty I'm glad it did, not only do I feel better about stopping, I have made massive progress in using my left foot and covering the back brake... Finally.

This morning (7am start! :eek:) we set off at about quater to 8 as the test was at 9:15. Anther student has their MOD 1 on that day, they passed with a few minors. Mine was supposed to be at 9:55, I thought why not just give it a 'feeler' to see what it is like and what it entails. Went in thinking that it is a test more than anything else, but passed the Mod 1 with 1 minor (slow speed clutch jerk of all things!!) but as it was on the 125 it is A1. The thing is, I am really pleased as I have barely practiced the swerve, and emergency brake and above all the 32mph speed.
I basically just went around the bend at 22ish and just thrashed it in 2nd when bouncing of the rev limiter :p turns out I went fast enough, and didn't crash into cones, all this without really thinking about it...

Since my riding is far better as I'm not thinking about controls or anything. It is kinda strange how it has clicked 'like that' in my mind, and now I'm bored of the 125... :o I need more now!!

:D

Next thing to do is re-book my tests and nail them. Hopefully I can get another MOD 1 soon.

Soldato
OP
I didn't choose to do it, in the morning I wasn't going to do it as I wasn't on the 600.

But as we needed to go there anyway, and another person had their test I thought it was worth experiencing it so I know what to expect. The reasoning behind taking the 125 was down to sorting my stopping and confidence out, as I didn't really have any.

Personally I'm glad I took that route. Yes it will take longer and involved another test but, at least I feel comfortable in the fact that I am much less likely to drop the bike again.

Soldato
OP
How did you find it? Get your confidence back?

Being only able to put half of your foot down doesn't sound like much fun, do they not have a lowered bike available so you can feel confident?

Yes and yes!

Thanks for the support guys.

We went to Nottingham to the test centre to try out come maneuverers. I went down on the 125 which was higher than the 600cc to get a feel for the height early on. we arrived at Nottingham, I got on the 600, I did all of the slow speed stuff, and the serve with no issues at all. The only issue was the garage thing, but to be fair it was the fact the bike is far heavier than what I moved previously. (as in pushing it, I leaned it slightly towards me and it was easier)

Did all that sort of stuff for an hour, then my instructor handed me the keys to the big bike and I rode it back. I have to say, I loved it, the response, the braking just everything is so much better. We even went on the junction I stumbled with the 125 (Steep hill with traffic lights) and my hill start was great.

I am awaiting the phone call from the riding school to confirm my test dates. But all in all I can't wait and have no worries about it anymore. :D

Soldato
OP
I wasn't going to post anything, but I am excited indeed!

I need to book time off work to secure it, but if I can *Touch Wood* then my MOD 1 will be on the 9th of February and my MOD 2 on the 10th of February. :D

Soldato
OP
You'll ace it! We have our tests on the same day so hopefully we'll both do it :)

Wow, awesome the best of luck! :)

Also, I think I know the right answer to this. But I am aware that the examiner may want be to pull up in a safe place, what if there is a straight road, with only double yellow lines. I know you can't park there, but am I correct in thinking that I am able to wait there?

I have been reading the DVSA guide to riding, and oddly cannot see anything to do with double, or single yellow lines :confused:

Assuming that the examiner isn't looking to 'catch you out' as they know the route, I would guess that they would only ask the question if there is a safe place to strop EG; not on a blind bend, brow of hill etc...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't stop on double yellows, at the end of driveways etc. Just keep going until you've got a safe clear spot to pull over.
They can be looking to catch you out on little things like this.

Soldato
OP
Great stuff, so:

No stopping on Double Yellow Lines
No Stopping on Single Yellow lines

So basically avoid road markings on the side of the road for stopping.

Back
Top Bottom