ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 144hz 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync.

Associate
I have received a responce from ASUS Customer Services, refusing to allow an RMA on the grounds that as the unit was purchased abroad it can only be returned under the RMA service for the country of purchase.

I bought the unit through a 'famous online retailer' in the UK, turns out it is a German webstore the actual sale came from. So I am now in discusssion with them as to whether they will accept it under their returns policy. If so I may have to foot the bill to courier the unit to Germany, which could be costly in itself. Failing that I fear I will have to return it to ASUS directly but pay for any repairs/replacements.

From now on I will certainly be putting my business through Overclockers, not trying to save myself a penny here or there. 90% of my business has gone through OCUK, this is one of the only times I've tried to cut cut corners, and look where it has left me...

Associate
I intend buying the PG279q but as there is none in northern Ireland I'm not willing to take the chance in case I need to RMA it. I would however pay extra to have someone check it before dispatch.

Could ocuk be persuaded to do this as I read about it somewhere.

or should I wait ?

probably need a new GPU also as my watercooled hd7970 is getting long in the tooth. 980ti would go down nicely :) hint hint ocuk help a brother out

Associate
I have received a responce from ASUS Customer Services, refusing to allow an RMA on the grounds that as the unit was purchased abroad it can only be returned under the RMA service for the country of purchase.

I bought the unit through a 'famous online retailer' in the UK, turns out it is a German webstore the actual sale came from. So I am now in discusssion with them as to whether they will accept it under their returns policy. If so I may have to foot the bill to courier the unit to Germany, which could be costly in itself. Failing that I fear I will have to return it to ASUS directly but pay for any repairs/replacements.

From now on I will certainly be putting my business through Overclockers, not trying to save myself a penny here or there. 90% of my business has gone through OCUK, this is one of the only times I've tried to cut cut corners, and look where it has left me...

I had a similar issue with my TN Swift where ASUS claimed the panel was from outside the UK, however as soon as I told ASUS I had bought it from a UK seller and provided a copy of the invoice they accepted the RMA no problem. Have you told ASUS you bought the panel from the UK?

Soldato
I intend buying the PG279q but as there is none in northern Ireland I'm not willing to take the chance in case I need to RMA it. I would however pay extra to have someone check it before dispatch.

Could ocuk be persuaded to do this as I read about it somewhere.

or should I wait ?

probably need a new GPU also as my watercooled hd7970 is getting long in the tooth. 980ti would go down nicely :) hint hint ocuk help a brother out

no they wont check monitors before shipping. Been mentioned many times.
I know an online etailer that does what you are asking for and could save you money but we are strictly not allowed to mention it though as its a competitor.
Have you ever noticed on the left hand side under your username it shows the location where you are ? I often drive about 10-15 miles slightly north west of my location to do some shopping.

Last edited:
Associate
no they wont check monitors before shipping. Been mentioned many times.
I know an online etailer that does what you are asking for and could save you money but we are strictly not allowed to mention it though as its a competitor.
Have you ever noticed on the left hand side under your username it shows the location where you are ? I often drive about 10-15 miles slightly north west of my location to do some shopping.

Yeah they do offer a checking service; it can add 1-2 days to delivery / pickup tho.

Associate
I had a similar issue with my TN Swift where ASUS claimed the panel was from outside the UK, however as soon as I told ASUS I had bought it from a UK seller and provided a copy of the invoice they accepted the RMA no problem. Have you told ASUS you bought the panel from the UK?

I've contacted the German webstore, explained the issue and supplied pictures and they've sent me a pre paid DHL label to return the unit to them. They will return it to ASUS and sort it. Pretty chuffed with their responce as I wasn't expecting much to be honest. I was at least expecting to have to pay to courier the unit back to Germany.

Now to go into the ASUS RMA turnaround lottery. Not expecting to see it back any day soon...

Soldato
Yes that is correct. OCUK dont offer monitor checking but that website does - my words are safe it was all a misunderstanding re-reading the posts I thought when you replied to #824 you were commenting on my first line about OCUK not doing it. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yes that is correct. OCUK dont offer monitor checking but that website does - my words are safe it was all a misunderstanding re-reading the posts I thought when you replied to #824 you were commenting on my first line about OCUK not doing it. :)

I was indeed.
I know OCUK don't offer it for sure! But to be fair I live in Skipton; and the place you're talking about is within 25 miles or so!

Associate
Ok so now that I have tried 2 of these Asus Pg279Q monitors I wont try a 3rd as I'm not sure how anyone would spend that much money and put up with the back light bleed or ips glow in the corners which I can see while watching movies or playing games in not pitch black scenes but just darker scenes. I got myself a new GTX980ti and wanted to buy a 1440p with g-sync monitor but after seeing so many forums and youtube clips showing and saying back light bleed or ips glow from all of the latest top high end gaming monitors from asus and acer I just cant believe how anyone can give these a great review and saying that they are the best out there right now ???????? grrrrrrrrrrrrr are u ******* CRAZY ????? I have a 3 and half year old Samsung SA950 27" 1080p with 120hz monitor and imo its almost as smooth if not the same (so close) and colours between that and the asus ips panel are almost the same but in darker scenes my Samsung is much better with blacks and if I watch a movie my Samsung has smoother movement. The biggest difference is the viewing angles as ips is much better but as I'm sitting right in front of it this isn't a big problem.
I do want a 1440p monitor but really is this asus and the acer (same panel) the best there is cos that is a joke after 3 and half years the quality control of these monitors is shocking. I was thinking about swapping it for the Asus pg278 TN panel to see if there was less back light bleed and maybe the 1ms response time would make movies smoother like my 2ms Samsung. Can anyone recommend another monitor ?
I want to swap to 1440p
(BTW the quality with these has nothing to do with overclockers)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so now that I have tried 2 of these Asus Pg279Q monitors I wont try a 3rd as I'm not sure how anyone would spend that much money and put up with the back light bleed or ips glow in the corners which I can see while watching movies or playing games in not pitch black scenes but just darker scenes. I got myself a new GTX980ti and wanted to buy a 1440p with g-sync monitor but after seeing so many forums and youtube clips showing and saying back light bleed or ips glow from all of the latest top high end gaming monitors from asus and acer I just cant believe how anyone can give these a great review and saying that they are the best out there right now ???????? grrrrrrrrrrrrr are u ******* CRAZY ????? I have a 3 and half year old Samsung SA950 27" 1080p with 120hz monitor and imo its almost as smooth if not the same (so close) and colours between that and the asus ips panel are almost the same but in darker scenes my Samsung is much better with blacks and if I watch a movie my Samsung has smoother movement. The biggest difference is the viewing angles as ips is much better but as I'm sitting right in front of it this isn't a big problem.
I do want a 1440p monitor but really is this asus and the acer (same panel) the best there is cos that is a joke after 3 and half years the quality control of these monitors is shocking. I was thinking about swapping it for the Asus pg278 TN panel to see if there was less back light bleed and maybe the 1ms response time would make movies smoother like my 2ms Samsung. Can anyone recommend another monitor ?
I want to swap to 1440p
(BTW the quality with these has nothing to do with overclockers)

The reason they get such good reviews is that reviewers (it would evidently appear) are sent cherry picked monitors. It certainly is one big joke though. I went through 4 XB270HU's myself, so I feel your frustration. I've also got an older Samsung, a 1440p IPS, that in respect to BLB/glow puts most of these new premium panels to shame.

The upcoming Acer XB271 is said to have made some improvements regards the backlight assembly, which improves the BLB that plagued the XB270/PG279Q, but it still doesn't offer any guarantee. It's been out in the US for a couple of months now and there's still some people complaining however, but the odds do seem a bit better.

I'm at the point where I don't think AUO (the panel manufacturer) even care about this anymore, certainly not with this particular panel anyway. I don't think we'll be seeing any other DP 1.2 panels of this type, so we'll have to wait until Pascal/Polaris and DP 1.3 arrives, as that will obviously necessitate new panels. Until then, it's one big lottery... apparently good examples do exist, they're just like gold dust.

Associate
I was looking at reviews of the Acer XB271 that you can buy now and its cheaper than the Asus but all reviews ive seen put the Asus one ahead but I think that was mostly down to the look of it and quality of the build but I also see many with back light bleed or ips glow.
Am I right in thinking that a TN panel will give better blacks than ips so darker scenes will look better and also TN has less of a chance of back light bleed ? I know TN still has back light bleed as my Samsung has a small amount but I never see it in games and only ever so slightly in a movie if the scene is pretty much all black.
What about the Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz
does anyone have any experience with this one ?

Soldato
I was looking at reviews of the Acer XB271 that you can buy now and its cheaper than the Asus but all reviews ive seen put the Asus one ahead but I think that was mostly down to the look of it and quality of the build but I also see many with back light bleed or ips glow.
Am I right in thinking that a TN panel will give better blacks than ips so darker scenes will look better and also TN has less of a chance of back light bleed ? I know TN still has back light bleed as my Samsung has a small amount but I never see it in games and only ever so slightly in a movie if the scene is pretty much all black.
What about the Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz
does anyone have any experience with this one ?

No, TN won't have better blacks than IPS. IPS will always have better blacks and colours than TN, plus you have the colour shift to contend with on a 27" TN. You can get away with it on smaller monitors, but not at that size. BLB has lately been far less of an issue with TN, but I have had several IPS monitors over the years and have never had these problems (or much in the way of IPS glow either really). It's just the recent so-called 'premium' panels that really suffer with it, particularly the AUO manufactured ones that are in the XB270/271/PG279Q. I've never seen so many people give up on IPS and go back to TN... it's really a sign of the times, because all things being equal, IPS wins on most counts, but lately the argument for TN has definitely grown in strength given the problems with the IPS monitors.

Man of Honour
I've never seen so many people give up on IPS and go back to TN... it's really a sign of the times, because all things being equal, IPS wins on most counts, but lately the argument for TN has definitely grown in strength given the problems with the IPS monitors.

I think one of the factors there is that some people have expectations of IPS on these gaming panels that they simply won't and can't meet (despite some people not noticing or being bothered by it) - I see a lot of people who are hopefully they can finally go to IPS for gaming but then find these panels still do not have the motion clarity/pixel response in fast paced situations that a TN can offer.

Associate
well I don't agree from the 2 asus pg279q ips monitors I just had in the last week. the black level is not as good as my 3 and half year old samsung TN panel and as I said the glow or back light bleed in the corners can clearly be seen when playing games in slightly dark scenes.
I have no problem with the movement in fast pace games (and I am fussy with this) this monitor was quick enough for that but the glow is just not good enough.
the 1st monitor was shockingly bad and the 2nd was a lot better but still I could easily see it. (I didn't even have to look for it)
viewing angles on my old Samsung I agree not as good by a long way next to ips but I don't have any problem with my 27" Samsung from side to side in the view I look at it but up and down sometimes I do notice when I lie back more in my chair.
from what I'm reading the Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz seems like it could be the best choice out there right now.

Back
Top Bottom