BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Not so much BT related, but my neighbour recently upgraded to TalkTalk Fibre and all they've done is send a new router - is that right..?

I know for my own BT Infinity upgrade, we had a faceplate changed/installed, a Huawei Modem, the BT HomeHub as well as a changeover in the exchange.

Soldato
Not so much BT related, but my neighbour recently upgraded to TalkTalk Fibre and all they've done is send a new router - is that right..?

I know for my own BT Infinity upgrade, we had a faceplate changed/installed, a Huawei Modem, the BT HomeHub as well as a changeover in the exchange.

I think it's all self install now.

So just micro filters and a router/modem combo.

Associate
Hi guys, the broadband speed checkers aren't giving me a conclusive result as to whether FTTC is available, and what my predicted speed is. If I ring BT/plusnet, will they be going on the same information as me, or do they have some other method of checking what's available?

Should I just order it and find out? :D

Associate
Just bought a new Intel i5-6600 pc which replaced a 5 year old AMD pc. Annoyingly I cannot get full torrent download speeds on the new PC, despite using same clients and copying all settings across from the old PC.

I have bt infinity 76mb unlimited and on the old PC was always able to max out the connection with speeds of 8.8mb/s. I was using qbitorrent on the old PC and have tried it along with utorrent and bittorrent clients on the new PC

Anyone got any advice on the best settings?

Associate
Just bought a new Intel i5-6600 pc which replaced a 5 year old AMD pc. Annoyingly I cannot get full torrent download speeds on the new PC, despite using same clients and copying all settings across from the old PC.

I have bt infinity 76mb unlimited and on the old PC was always able to max out the connection with speeds of 8.8mb/s. I was using qbitorrent on the old PC and have tried it along with utorrent and bittorrent clients on the new PC

I don't bother download much now as my new kodi box pretty much covers everything I need to watch.

Associate
I was getting charged £32 a month for BT Infinity 75/20. Phoned them up the other day and asked if they had any offers on and they knocked it down to £21.

Sweet.

I'm also interested in BitTorrent setups. I can max download but my upload speed is always throttled. At least it seems that way.

Associate
I was getting charged £32 a month for BT Infinity 75/20. Phoned them up the other day and asked if they had any offers on and they knocked it down to £21.

Sweet.

I'm also interested in BitTorrent setups. I can max download but my upload speed is always throttled. At least it seems that way.

The only way to be sure your upload is working to its full potential is to get on a popular torrent before there are many other people seeding.

What dl speeds do you get and do you mind sharing your settings?

Associate
The only way to be sure your upload is working to its full potential is to get on a popular torrent before there are many other people seeding.

What dl speeds do you get and do you mind sharing your settings?

I just let uTorrent do an auto setup. I get around 8.5MB/s download on a good healthy torrent.

I read somewhere that BT throttles torrent uploads but not sure. Never looked into it too much. I'm a member of a site which requires maintaining a positive ratio and sometimes it can be a pain to seed back, even when it shows many leechers and only a few seeds.

Last edited:
Soldato

Torrents are a poor way to measure your download speed. Use a speed test such as this or download Nvidia or AMD drivers from their website and see what speeds you reach.

As for torrent settings, I find setting the correct connection speeds in the client gives me the optimal experience. You don't really need to manually specify your settings.

Soldato

Sweet.

I had BT's 80/20 Mb/s package for £17.25/mo a few years ago. Almost impossible to get deals like that now since they have to pay for sports rights somehow (plus line rental is much higher).

Associate
I had BT's 80/20 Mb/s package for £17.25/mo a few years ago. Almost impossible to get deals like that now since they have to pay for sports rights somehow (plus line rental is much higher).

Yeah I know, I'm amazed they knocked £11 off the bill just with a simple quick phone call. Shows how much they are scared of you switching providers.

By the way, I see you have a Xeon in your sig. What base clock are you running. 200? And what kind of temps are you getting. I'm soon to be switching out my rusty old i7 920 for an x5675 and hoping to push 4.2GHz on water with nice temps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom