enigma@home - Boinc stats team challenge

Associate
BTW what kind of temps do people get running Bionc on cpu? Mines hovering around permanently on 67 degrees which seems a little high. Wonder if I need to reapply some thermal paste as I haven't done it for a while.

Man of Honour
Xeon E5620 @76c - that's partly due to the cheap rubbish heatsink Dell put on there (I have a replacement but haven't been brave enough to swap it over yet - I don't like messing with thermal compound).

The other E5620, in the same box, which has the better heatsink, runs at 60c.

Just noticed I'm 13th in the team. This will NOT do! I've still got one more system to bring online tonight so hopefully that won't last for long. I could always power up a RasPi if I get desperate! :D

Man of Honour
Also a T5500, which means you probably know about the heatsink situation with them. The default heatsink for low-power chips is an el-cheapo aluminium thing. The E5620 is on the limit for that heatsink (I'm only running 75% of cores, otherwise it goes into the 80s), so I grabbed the better copper version off a certain auction site, but as I said, haven't been brave enough to try to swap it over yet (it's a pretty tight squeeze in there even after pulling the second CPU).

Associate
Also a T5500, which means you probably know about the heatsink situation with them. The default heatsink for low-power chips is an el-cheapo aluminium thing. The E5620 is on the limit for that heatsink (I'm only running 75% of cores, otherwise it goes into the 80s), so I grabbed the better copper version off a certain auction site, but as I said, haven't been brave enough to try to swap it over yet (it's a pretty tight squeeze in there even after pulling the second CPU).

Install one of these heatsinks and ziptie a 80mm fan to it. Plenty of room. Keeps temps on the mainboard cpu around 50C. That's with a X5675 95W TDP. The riser heatsink stinks too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222025977096

Last edited:
Associate
Currently trying to run up on a second machine i've crunched BOINC on before, but it tells me there is no work available for my type of machine? Running Arch 64 bit. Wonder if a particular component is missing?

Hopefully this may help others; Enigma can only be crunched on 32-bit Linux, and so I required the 32-bit libraries for Arch here:

Anyone having issues with Linux, hopefully you can reverse engineer your setup from this!

Associate
Hopefully this may help others; Enigma can only be crunched on 32-bit Linux, and so I required the 32-bit libraries for Arch here:

Anyone having issues with Linux, hopefully you can reverse engineer your setup from this!

Hmm, interesting, so maybe it is a libraries issue after all...odd as I would've expected it to throw a (more visible) wobbly rather than just not fetch work. The 32-bit libc libraries mentioned there ring a bell, fairly sure I've had to do that for another project in the past, but in that case the machine would fetch work and immediately trash the units saying computation error.

Back
Top Bottom