What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Machined down the CBR1000RR sprocket carrier to get the chain run straight on my CBR900RR.

WP_20160225_003_zpst5zpje2h.jpg

Soldato
Wemoto are pretty good prices for some parts. Other times they are way above. Gaskets and smaller things they do well on.

Other larger parts seem to come out at HONDA OEM prices and that's when I normally go to Ebay

Soldato
Yup, submerge is a completely different story. It's like that teeth in coke experiment, where they leave a tooth in there for 24 hours and it goes black. That doesn't mean it's going to damage your teeth as 1. you don't do it that often and 2. it's just passing contact.

Granted you're probably not going to wash all the petrol or whatever you use off (if it doesn't evaporate anyway), but there won't be enough surrounding it for long enough to cause issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
Red Rubber Grease arrived in the post finally

spent last night finishing off my caliper rebuilds, new seals and boots, calipers all polished and clean, also new Cobra braided hoses and new brake fluid,

after bleeding the brakes they still felt a little spongy so did the good old trick of using elastics bands on the lever over night and this morning brakes feel awesome.

Associate
I went for a long ride this morning. A couple of miles from home, the bike suddenly started feeling strange in the corners, kind of hard to turn in and sluggish.

When I pulled up at home, I noticed the back tyre was (totally) flat(!) I'll get it up on the paddock shortly and see if there's any obvious holes. Would this be a new tyre job??

Associate
There's only 500 miles on the tyre.

If it's a replacement, can I do it myself, or do I need to take it somewhere? THis is all new to me.

If I have to take it somewhere, should I just inflate it and ride there carefully?

Caporegime
Look on the sidewall of the tyre and see if it says tubeless,if not it has an inner tube,best take just the wheel somewhere for repair or get some tyre levers and a motorbike inner tube repair kit and stick a rubber patch on it

If you get the tyre off gently feel inside the tyre for any nails/bits of metal poking through,be carefully not to cut yourself though

Soldato
If you are new to it all find a local tyre place that does bike tyres and see what they can do, in the mean time pump the tyre back up and see how long it takes for it to go flat, if it takes a long time then you'll be fine riding it down to the tyre place.

Soldato
First test ride since finding that spring all twisted in the diaphragm and service.

Only gone and fixed it !!!

Went around town for 10 minutes to warm everything up then went to a nice long stretch of road and opened the tap :D IT'S BACK !

Blooding freezing though and the roads look nasty with grit. All pressure washed to get rid of muck and back in the garage.

:D:D Bring on the summer !! oh wait I live in Glasgow :rolleyes:

Associate
Yup, submerge is a completely different story. It's like that teeth in coke experiment, where they leave a tooth in there for 24 hours and it goes black. That doesn't mean it's going to damage your teeth as 1. you don't do it that often and 2. it's just passing contact.

Granted you're probably not going to wash all the petrol or whatever you use off (if it doesn't evaporate anyway), but there won't be enough surrounding it for long enough to cause issues.

To be fair, the statement "That's a myth,a guy tested it on o rings,he soaked them in petrol for a week and they didn't swell " is wrong. O-rings demonstrably swell after 24 hours, not a week! Also we don't have any evidence that the O-ring doesn't swell 5 minutes into the 24-hour test.

The O-rings are there to keep lube inside the link, or at least when the chain is new, the manufacturer's grease. I used to use paraffin on badly gunked-up parts, but always kept it away from the chain. Paraffin has penetrant qualities, so some will get past an O-ring and will probably to stay there for a period of time, so I'd say better safe than sorry.

Anecdotal evidence tells us it's not a critical issue, but I've had chains that have lasted until the sprockets virtually disappeared, so looking after chains also has some merit!

Irrelevant to the convo but perhaps interesting nonetheless, the tooth experiment shows the effects of phosphoric acid, which generally dissolves a tooth overnight, is a pretty big ingredient in cola, and amongst it's other uses is cleaning ovens :D

Associate
First test ride since finding that spring all twisted in the diaphragm and service.

Only gone and fixed it !!!

Went around town for 10 minutes to warm everything up then went to a nice long stretch of road and opened the tap :D IT'S BACK !

Blooding freezing though and the roads look nasty with grit. All pressure washed to get rid of muck and back in the garage.

:D:D Bring on the summer !! oh wait I live in Glasgow :rolleyes:

Marvellous news!

Restricted slide movement didn't occur to me- seems obvious now :D

Man of Honour
Petrol evaporates though with seconds

Not in enclosed spaces, such as between chain links and once absorbed into O-Rings where surface tension and a very low surface area prevents evaporation.

There are varying strengths of solvents, and dedicated chain cleaners are a lot milder.

Associate
I pumped the tyre back up and it goes flat in less than 30 seconds. There's a noticeable hiss too. I covered the wheel in water to see if I could locate it, and the hiss is coming from here:

WP_20160226_13_33_04_Rich_LI.jpg

You can't see it in the photos, but it's bubbling. What would cause this to happen? The tube damaged inside and that's the weakest bit?

Back
Top Bottom