House mate situation

Permabanned
Back story - Me and my partner rent a house
We came back from spain last year and found this place to rent
Moving costs were high and we just got back into work so decided to take in a tenant.

My mate was looking for a place at the time, weve been mates for years (around 8 years) so we took him in.

Not long after moving in he started getting stuff of finance, small stuff but enough to make me worry, such as a wardobe etc. - warned him against this but he didnt listen. He then took the stupid move to quit his job around last October (he worked at sainsbury's delivering) but he said he was getting paid too low for the hours he did so quit.

He got a job at a garage, hes a good mechanic but no qualifications, so all his money was cash in hand. But then, his manager only started paying him once every two months (if that) and then it would only be 3 or 4 hundred with the promise of 'ill pay you more next week'... but that never came.

He then started to get behind on his finance payments and then obviously... Rent. He hasnt paid on time since December and still owes me last 2 months rent.

In feb, he got news that his bowel cancer condition is still there (he has been bleeding from that area), has been to the hospital for scans etc and did go for an operation. Hes had this sort of issue for as long as I can remember. He isnt lying here as i went with him to the hospital. During this time of not working, and resting at home, i did say id let him off 2 weeks rent.

So the final parts of the story. 2 weeks ago he sold his car for £700. He owes me £600 but that money never came to me... as he needs a car and needs a better one as the one before (MX5) was too low for him after the Operation. Hes also had many nights out drinking with his/my mates, which i cant afford to do anymore.

Finally, I got a text today saying hes moving out, took some of his stuff already and coming to get the rest this weekend and drop off the house key. He said he wont be able to pay me everything right now. He can give me a little with the promise of the rest at a later date. I don't believe him at all, and I have taken the rest of his stuff (clothes TV etc) out of the house. When he come ill take any money he gives me and the key and then tell him he will get the rest of his stuff when I get my money.

Partner says I'm being harsh but If i dont do it it will probably be the last I see of him. I've cut my losses and doubt I will get much of my money but I dont want him to walk away scott free. Suffice to say....im pretty mad and felt he has taken advantage of our generosity

Edit: So another text my parter got was that hes sorry, hes guilty and suicidle, hates that hes in debt and not got a proper job etc. Partner replied that he can get him a job at a takeaway which will pay (and a good amount tbh) which hes told my flatmate numerous times but the guy turned it down as its not his kind of place to work. So in my opinion, he doesnt want to get out of debt or work and wants a free ride.

Edit: So my original post seemed like he just got cancer but hes had bowel conditions since ive been mates with him. It's nothing new, not that its any better or an excuse or anything. I dont mind supporting a friend... but there is only so much i can do

Last edited:
Associate
wtf, glad I am not your friend. The dude has ****ing cancer and your going to keep his **** because he owes you a few quid, how very sad. Give him his stuff back, tell him not to worry about the money until he gets better.

Man of Honour
Wow, guy gets cancer and falls on hard times and his mate falls out with him over money. Very harsh.

It's not as if you've got a joint tenancy and now you are liable for his share is it? It's your place and it was just a bit of cash on the side!

Did you get permission to sublet the property, btw?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
£600 isn't pocket change, but your friend got cancer and you're being a dick.
Be a proper friend and tell him to take the takeaway job. It's all he can get at the moment. Maybe you can support him and talk some sense into him. You've been friends for 8 years!

Permabanned
OP
wtf, glad I am not your friend. The dude has ****ing cancer and your going to keep his **** because he owes you a few quid, how very sad. Give him his stuff back, tell him not to worry about the money until he gets better.

well, fair enough
i do want to point that that this has been an on going condition, not new. He took two weeks off for the condition, and has been back at the garage for a while, borowed lots of money from me too since then for parking tickets and food, but then goes out on nights drinking with mates. Unfortunately I cant afford to join him

It may be only a bit... but its money i cant afford, and i honestly feel like hes taken advantage of of us.

Yes i may be harsh, I admit... i will prbably change my mind when i calm down, but i have given him a lot of support, not just on money, and know i get the text - ive moved out bye,..... without even a conversation face to face

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
£600 isn't pocket change, but your friend got cancer and you're being a dick.
Be a proper friend and tell him to take the takeaway job. It's all he can get at the moment. Maybe you can support him and talk some sense into him. You've been friends for 8 years!

my partner has 3 friends who are WILLING to give him the job RIGHT NOW. He wont take it and wants to continue working at the place that hasnt paid him for 3 months. Fair enough - im a dick, but i can only help him so much before im in debt myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another point to consider is that I don't think you can withhold his property unless you have a contractual entitlement to, eg because it's a secured debt. Technically you'd be committing a criminal offence. Although I'm not a lawyer.

Soldato
From the timeline he seemed a wastrel prior to any cancer diagnosis.
It would seem if you had not mentioned the bowel bit at the end, then everyone's response may be completely different.

He might need a whole host of things from further treatment to counselling following his diagnosis. Be a mate, point him in the right direction. then be a mate and kick him up the arse for being a lazy no good, and make him get a bloody job, as it'll do him better mentally as well as physically, and also sort his financial situation.

Soldato
Not sure why people are slating the OP, the guy quit his job - the cancer is really bad, but he made the decision to walk out of a job with steady pay

Associate
well, fair enough
i do want to point that that this has been an on going condition, not new. He took two weeks off for the condition, and has been back at the garage for a while, borowed lots of money from me too since then for parking tickets and food, but then goes out on nights drinking with mates. Unfortunately I cant afford to join him

It may be only a bit... but its money i cant afford, and i honestly feel like hes taken advantage of of us.

Yes i may be harsh, I admit... i will prbably change my mind when i calm down, but i have given him a lot of support, not just on money, and know i get the text - ive moved out bye,..... without even a conversation face to face

I can't imagine what it'd be like to be told I have cancer, but it'd probably the time i wanted the friends that I have to support me. I can understand it's difficult for you, but a little financial strain for a friend is surely more acceptable than holding a cancer patients goods to ransom. I don't know how you can justify to yourself holding his goods, he probably moved out without saying anything because he's embarrassed he can't pay you back. I'd say have a little heart, be thankful you don't have a life changing disease and try and help him as much as you can.

Back
Top Bottom