IIyama 40" 4k VA monitor

Soldato
I was umm'ing and aah'ing between this and the 43" Philips, and went for this in the end mainly because I trust Iiyama from personal experience just that little bit more than Philips, so hoping to get this tomorrow along with a few other bits and bobs to play with (nuc and 1900 Antec for my media file server to be moved into)

I am planning on buying it at midnight tonight for Saturday delivery :p

Cant effin wait!

Soldato
Really liking this screen apart from two "annoyances";

1) It appears the remote is useless for switching to another input manually unless the original input device is on at the time ( Ie trying to switch from a PS4 on HDMI to a pc on DP and it wont change input , or even bring up any menu at all unless the PS4 is powered up to start with).

2) Maybe its just me, but this is incredibly bizarre to me - monitor is off (again , last used on HDMI input) and all devices off. Switch the DP device (w10 pc) on, and the monitor comes on as if a signal is recieved - all good so far - apart from it never changes input and "no signal recieved" flashes up and after a minute just switches off /goes to sleep. This is the worst of both worlds, as it were (especially with a new monitor and you are unaware of its foibles), thinking the device is faulty as the monitor is picking up a signal but there is no output at all, and picking up a signal but not switching to the output required

I know there is the "auto" input setting, but always found this can be slow to switch especially when watching the BIOS is crucial when building a pc.

Associate
Come on guys, Gamble's asked the question and I'm asking it too, as my 28" AOC 4K monitor does another of it's back-fire / gunshot cracking sounds!

We Scots may (or may not!) want our independence, but we'd still appreciate your advice!

TIA

I have the Philips and I've just ordered the Iiyama, so when it arrives I will do a comparison for you if that helps? :)

Associate
In case you weren't aware. Philips is fighting back with the 43" BDM4350UC. Which has an IPS panel.

and it's had so many problems, that its been temporarily delisted/removed from the Philips website, presumably while they resolve the issues with the panel burn in that so many people are having.

from a thread on another forum, not sure if I'm allowed to post a link here.
aiszaxs said:
I spoke with Philips.dk last month, and they told me that they have had a lot of complaints with this panel, and that burn-in was a general issue.

osaro said:
All references to this model BDM4350UC have disappeared from Philips website. A little bit odd.
aiszaxs said:
Haha true! Looks like philips has pulled the product back.
AdelaideBoy said:
Official response regarding the product takedown is that they are low on stock and cannot secure supply until after July. Wouldn't be surprised if there was actually a hardware revision or something else going on – removing the product and support info from the website seems a little extreme.

Last edited:
Associate
no, but with such a high failure rate, purchasing now would be a total gamble I can do without. I'm already seeing certain retailers being awkward about these issues.

Like I said before not everyone is experiencing the burn-in issue.
And similarly the Iiyama X4071UHSU-B1 has its own issues.
People pick what rough edges (and sometimes even sharp edges) they can live with.
This review states clearly that the burn-in is a temporary image retention, and that they did not experience it throughout their period with the monitor. Neither did one of my friends, who is a coder, and displays an IDE window all the time (with always on power settings) in the middle of the screen. Also when he goes for a break.
From the review:
pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-bdm4350uc/
Also note that we mentioned that there was no ‘burn-in’ (or more accurately any temporary image retention) on our unit. This was the case despite correct despite performing a wide variety of tasks with static content displayed on the screen for quite some time. Some users have reported temporary image retention on their units, something which may affect some units but not others. We don’t feel users should let this put them off trying this model, especially if their retailer offers an efficient returns service for peace of mind.

Where I live, it's possible to send back things you buy within the first 14 days after receipt. Most of the time shop keepers extend this to 31 days, or longer. And returned products are not recycled to other buyers as new.
I feel sorry that that is not possible for you.

Last edited:
Associate
Where I live, it's possible to send back things you buy within the first 14 days after receipt. Most of the time shop keepers extend this to 31 days, or longer. And returned products are not recycled to other buyers as new.
I feel sorry that that is not possible for you.

I agree that every set has its issues, but I think it's fair to say the Philips is experiencing more than normal early on in its lifecycle, either way it's enough of an issue to make me spend my money on a different monitor and I'm happy with that.

No need to feel sorry for me, I have the same distance selling regulations as you my friend, just mine comes with less sarcasm. :D

You won't be disappointed. Internet surfing/movies/gaming is just perfect on this screen.

Only thing is, solid 60fps is needed on games to make this screen worth it but luckily it scales down well on some games to 1440p.

Thanks for the info, it will be mostly used for professional music production but I've got a 970 which is fine until the 1080 turns up at some point down the road. :)

Hey guys

I was considering picking one of these up for music production work.

Cheers!

I have the Philips 40 inch that I use for music production with 2 other 40 inch 1080p panels. Absolutely fantastic to have that much space for the arrange window. Highly recommended.

xk9ySIO.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone tried using a custom resolution 3840 x 1620 for 21:9 on a 40" 4k screen?

Would a 980ti be able to drive that res @ 60 fps?

Back
Top Bottom